• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Proof of Gods existence to you?

Could you be convinced to hold the opposite position that you hold?

• Yes, I could be convinced

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No, there is nothing that could make me change my mind

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • No, I'm a strong agnostic and I believe the problem of gods existence is insoluable

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Maybe, I'm not sure if I could be convinced

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Shad

I get the distinct impression that you are not going to actually recognise at any point that you are confusing a usage for a definition.
No matter how many times you have it pointed out to you.

Why not try to relate back to the OP, and just let this misconception upon which you base your responses go? Rather than pages and pages of you and Legion prosecuting an utterly worthless and ill-conceived misconception that does not even relate to the topic.

Shad

Veteran Member
So what? It is still the same usage I employed. As I keep saying, please re-read the thread. This is about a USAGE, not a definition. I gave no such definition. You keep missing that - and going back to definitions.

It is not atheism but about treason and being wicked people. This is not the definition nor usage by pop-culture

So just for clarity: Shad, this is about a usage, not a definition ok?

You can keep saying usage all you want. Definition nor usage was what you claim it was.

I employed a usage first found in Justin Martyr, and gave no definition. So what? What authority do you imagine they need to employ an old usage as Roberts, Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens et al did? Why on earth would they need qualifications in philosophy? I did, it is the same USAGE.
And Legion showed you what the word means in Greek and it's usage. As I have done with Justin Martyr's usage. Think of it this way. Lets say the Pledge of Allegiance is a mandatory and includes a reference to the Christian God as the state sanctioned God/religion. To refuse to take the Pledge carries a penalty and is considered treason. A Muslim would refuse to take this pledge since it would be endorsing Christianity over Islam. They would be charged with treason. This does not mean they are an atheist. A rejection of or no belief in God makes no sense in this context. Treason does make sense.

You are trying to create an issue out of thin air.

Not really as I am just continuing points made by Legion.

Shad

Veteran Member
Shad

I get the distinct impression that you are not going to actually recognise at any point that you are confusing a usage for a definition.
No matter how many times you have it pointed out to you.

I have acknowledge it and dismissedyour argument as irrelevent since your are imposing a usage by anachronism. I am putting forward the usage at the time.

Why not try to relate back to the OP, and just let this misconception upon which you base your responses go? Rather than pages and pages of you and Legion prosecuting an utterly worthless and ill-conceived misconception that does not even relate to the topic.

I said my piece. I am fine with ending this part of the discussion. Regardless of your backhanded end remarks which have no basis in reality.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
It is not atheism but about treason and being wicked people. This is not the definition nor usage by pop-culture
It is the same usage, 'atheism' as an adjective.
You can keep saying usage all you want. Definition nor usage was what you claim it was.
Mate, this is just silly - people can employ whatever usages they wish. The usage in question is very common and broadly understood.

Why not re-read the OP and post something related to it, rather than persisting with this nonsensical objection to my employing a common usage?

People are allowed to employ common word usages mate, even without philosophy degrees. Arguing otherwise is simply ridiculous.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I have acknowledge it and dismissedyour argument as irrelevent since your are imposing a usage by anachronism. I am putting forward the usage at the time.
In Dawkins, Roberts, Dennet, Harris, Hitchens et al's time? Seriously? Dawkins usage was an anachronism? How can that make sense to you?It is a usage that appears in many spectacularly successful modern books - and you think it can be ignored because it is anachronistic? Are you serious? It is a popular modern usage.
I said my piece. I am fine with ending this part of the discussion. Regardless of your backhanded end remarks which have no basis in reality.
'Imposing a usage by anachronism' huh? That doesn't even make sense. All I did was employ a common usage - which is perfectly appropriate.
Yeah, let it go mate you are chasing a strawman up an imaginary tree. People can employ popular and common usages, that is just how language works.

For you to be prosecuting such an argument, I can only assume that in terms of proof of god it is all you can think of. Frankly I don't see how it even relates to the topic.

Attacking the topic, or the argument would be appropriate - but attacking the application of a common word usage is just a diversion. Read the OP, it is about what constitutes proof of god - attacking me for employing a common usage is as pointless as it is off topic.

Last edited:

LukeS

I think God is sometimes treated more like an axiom than a derivative, and sometimes like a derived belief rather than an axiom.

The first relates to the more abstract aesthetic of the spirit (theory of mind in its "fuzzy feeling" soul aspect), and the second to a more concrete agent behind the scenes perception (theory of mind in its "active" agent aspect)...

Often cross culturally we have see division of mind into animal, human and spiritual parts. So they relate to sub systems in the brain capable of being projected onto the world - eg. animal agency human agency and divine agency etc. If these are innate its an idea to ask "Whats their merit and function?"

Thus my answer is partially I believe because I like to respect who I am, and not repress what I believe is there - a suggestive ontology of psyche - for a reason.

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I get the impression that Athiests tend to dominate the debates on RF, and that many theists get fed up of the atheist retort..."where's your proof!" I get the feeling that there is a major breakdown in communication between theists and atheists and that we are infact talking about completely different things and have very different ideas of what "proof" is. To test this theory I have provided a poll to see if a majority of atheists and theists would actually change their mind.

For Theists: How do you define God? What would convince you atheists were right? could you be convinced?

For Atheists: How do you define God?What would convince you theists were right? could you be convinced?

For Agnostics: How do you define God? Do you feel that agnosticism is because atheists or theists have made inadequate arguements? Or are you agnostic for reasons other than arguments for theism and atheism? (e.g. strong agnostics believing that the question of gods existence is insoluable in principle).

I've put in the Comparative Religion forum specifically so theists and atheists can be honest with each other and not feel like they are going to end up in a debate. call it a "ceasefire" if you will.

Be nice to each other. ;)

How do you define God?

I'm biased by Christian influences, so I would say a being that possesses consciousness and is omnipotent, omnisciencient. I'm less sure on the omnibenevolence for reasons I'll elaborate on.

I am open to the possibility of a "god" which does not have the absolute qualities of an abrahamic one- as a being with physical limitations fits as more plausible in my own beliefs. So, maybe God is an alien race or something?

What would convince you theists were right?

For myself, as a materialist there is very little that could persuade me that god exists other than first hand experience. There are some serious weaknesses in a materialist argument, particuarly round the area of the "hard problem of consciousness". The "proof" of god's non-existence is that consciousness is a product of matter and cannot therefore exist without coming from a brain, body or a phyiscal form. That would exclude the possibility of god's existence as a form of dis-embodied consciousness.

It is however an 'odd' argument as it doesn't say that religious belief and belief in god is absolutely false, but that the belief in gods existence is an illusion of infering a cause that is not there. God is therefore a projection of ourselves and a creation of man. God may not exist, but religion still tells us something about people.

If this was wrong, materialism and therefore atheism as I understand it would be an untenable position. There have been times when I have entertianed the idea of a god but mainly to strengthen my own convictions by playing "devil's advocate" and finding weaknesses or inconsistencies in my beliefs. logical consistency can sometimes take precedence over evidence in that I do have a confirmation bias and select evidence to fit my assumptions about how the world works.

Could you be convinced?

Answered Maybe. I'm not going to lie but I suspect I'd be in denial for quite a long time as it would however be a major upheaval of my worldview and philosophical beliefs. its not based on scepticism or free thought in a sense other atheists would understand. I would admit that if there was a god I would in all probability be a misotheist as I feel uncomfortable accepting a higher power. I might end up a Satanist of some sort; the one property that matters in a higher power is omnibenevolence (or at least benevolence), otherwise the god is not worth having. The problem of evil seems to make omnibenevolence unlikely, or otherwise god has a very different standard of good and evil to what I and many people would expect. Whether I could accept that moral standard would be a reason in addition to the questions of god's existence as to whether I could accept a form of religious belief.

I was a staunch atheist for many decades, probably anti-theist to be honest, and never thought it possible I would ever change my mind..

The tricky part is that by definition a-theism frames itself as a disbelief of the alternative- a 'default truth' until proven otherwise- which is a pretty comfortable position intellectually, but it's not easy to really think skeptically, critically about your own beliefs- when you don't even acknowledge them as such.

So be careful about playing devils advocate - you can talk yourself out of your own belief more easily than anyone else can!

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
What was it convinced you?

Talking to people of faith, face to face, and realizing they were at the very least, thoughtful, genuine, intelligent people- I admit I had been raised with that atheist assumption of 'intellectual superiority' that you often see claimed here.

Then applying my critical eye to my own beliefs - not just others', naturalistic/ materialistic explanations for life, the universe etc- on their own merits, rather than just assume them as 'default truths'

maybe also just spending a lot more time in nature, amateur astronomy, more time to ponder it all a little more....

But I'm not sure I'm 'convinced' . I believe, I have faith- but having changed my mind once already- the only thing I can prove is that my opinion is unreliable!

Yerda

Veteran Member
Talking to people of faith, face to face, and realizing they were at the very least, thoughtful, genuine, intelligent people- I admit I had been raised with that atheist assumption of 'intellectual superiority' that you often see claimed here.

Then applying my critical eye to my own beliefs - not just others', naturalistic/ materialistic explanations for life, the universe etc- on their own merits, rather than just assume them as 'default truths'

maybe also just spending a lot more time in nature, amateur astronomy, more time to ponder it all a little more....

But I'm not sure I'm 'convinced' . I believe, I have faith- but having changed my mind once already- the only thing I can prove is that my opinion is unreliable!
That's interesting. Talking to some people (here and in day to day life) has made me more open to the possibility that I'm wrong or I've missed something or that I've not fully understood what people mean when they've described their beliefs and faith. Thanks for the response.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that there is a singular root entity that is the substantial essence of everything, actualizing all physical phenomena that exists as well as all logical and mathematical structures that give physicality form. I believe evolution has granted human mind a limited cognitive ability to perceive this essential reality at a subconscious level (for most) through which we gain the ability to make creative connections and also gain our enhanced sense of meaning making and self awareness. Spiritual practices can bring this cognitive awareness to the level of conscious apprehension, though incompletely. We Hindus call this entity Brahman, but it may also be perceived as a personal entity, in which case it is called God.

I have had certain meditative experiences that indicate the above description is true. Which is the reason that I believe, along with the fact that the intuitions about ethics and reality I had gained from them had stood me in excellent stead both in my personal development and as a scientist.

Currently psychology is a poorly developed field of study. If it develops sufficiently to refute the position I hold, or science shows a reality far far different from what I wrote above, then I will change my position. Or if Jesus finally returns... ;)