• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHat is Passover?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
@Harel13 I don't think that it was barbecued. Properly, wouldn't that be a low and slow method, probably with indirect heat? They roasted I thought.
I'm not an expert on cooking terminology. In modern Hebrew we jokingly call it having a mangal for the Seder, which means barbecue, but perhaps you're right.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
And you said I haven't read the story...

The Passover was an event concurrent to the Plague of the Firstborn. While the firstborn children of the Egyptians were killed at midnight, the Israelites were given a choice: Prepare a sacrificial lamb per God's instructions via Moshe and paint the blood of the slaughter on the door posts as a sign of faith in God and be spared, with God "passing over" your home, or ignore the commandment and be killed, if you're a firstborn. If you were of the former, you barbecued the lamb and ate it during the night prior to the plague. This became the traditional Passover lamb sacrifice, to commemorate the special miracle.
I for one get the following:

Passover, or Pesach in Hebrew, is one of the Jewish religion’s most sacred and widely observed holidays. In Judaism, Passover commemorates the story of the Israelites’ departure from ancient Egypt, which appears in the Hebrew Bible’s books of Exodus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, among other texts. Jews observe the weeklong festival with a number of important rituals, including a traditional Passover meal known as a seder, the removal of leavened products from their home, the substitution of matzo for bread and the retelling of the exodus tale.
Passover
Right?

Regards

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

Passover, or Pesach in Hebrew, is one of the Jewish religion’s most sacred and widely observed holidays. In Judaism, Passover commemorates the story of the Israelites’ departure from ancient Egypt, which appears in the Hebrew Bible’s books of Exodus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, among other texts. Jews observe the weeklong festival with a number of important rituals, including a traditional Passover meal known as a seder, the removal of leavened products from their home, the substitution of matzo for bread and the retelling of the exodus tale.
Passover
Right?

Regards
Yup.

And you said I haven't read the story...

The Passover was an event concurrent to the Plague of the Firstborn. While the firstborn children of the Egyptians were killed at midnight, the Israelites were given a choice: Prepare a sacrificial lamb per God's instructions via Moshe and paint the blood of the slaughter on the door posts as a sign of faith in God and be spared, with God "passing over" your home, or ignore the commandment and be killed, if you're a firstborn. If you were of the former, you barbecued the lamb and ate it during the night prior to the plague. This became the traditional Passover lamb sacrifice, to commemorate the special miracle.
Exactly and you said it best a sacrificial lamb, the feast to be kept forever, Jesus is that sacrificial lamb, He was spotless, sinless, without leaven. Died at Passover. Rose from the dead to fulfill the Feast of firstfruits. Holy Spirit poured out at the Feast of Pentecost.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly and you said it best a sacrificial lamb, the feast to be kept forever, Jesus is that sacrificial lamb, He was spotless, sinless, without leaven. Died at Passover. Rose from the dead to fulfill the Feast of firstfruits. Holy Spirit poured out at the Feast of Pentecost.
Sacrifice =/= atonement.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So not meant to be an atonement?

rosends

Passover
Right?

Regards
2 quick notes: it is not "most sacred", the actual departure is in the book of Exodus.

rosends

Not "one of"? It's one of the regalim, though.
How is a regel more sacred than Shabbos or Yom Kippur (each with more aliyos)? Saying it is "one of the most sacred" when there are not real levels of "sacred-ness" gives a wrong impression.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
How is a regel more sacred than Shabbos or Yom Kippur (each with more aliyos)? Saying it is "one of the most sacred" when there are not real levels of "sacred-ness" gives a wrong impression.
Good point!

Poisonshady313

Jesus is that sacrificial lamb, He was spotless, sinless, without leaven.

That's an odd thing to say... lambs don't have leaven anyhow. So it's meaningless to lean into a "Jesus is the lamb" metaphor and say that he is "without leaven".

And while we're at it... animals can't sin. Being spotless is very much a literal, physical distinction. I watched the Mel Gibson movie... jesus was in pretty rough shape.

And the animal can't be tortured. Again, i watched the Mel Gibson movie. Dude was tortured pretty badly. But in a sloppy attempt to make everything in the Tanach sound like Jesus, you've decided to make jesus the "suffering servant", though he isn't, even though it flies in the face of the claim that he's also a sacrifice.

It's a metaphor that fails on every conceivable level.

That's an odd thing to say... lambs don't have leaven anyhow. So it's meaningless to lean into a "Jesus is the lamb" metaphor and say that he is "without leaven".

And while we're at it... animals can't sin. Being spotless is very much a literal, physical distinction. I watched the Mel Gibson movie... jesus was in pretty rough shape.

And the animal can't be tortured. Again, i watched the Mel Gibson movie. Dude was tortured pretty badly. But in a sloppy attempt to make everything in the Tanach sound like Jesus, you've decided to make jesus the "suffering servant", though he isn't, even though it flies in the face of the claim that he's also a sacrifice.

It's a metaphor that fails on every conceivable level.
Let me get this straight: You're saying that Jesus was not supposed to atone for mankind's sins?
And you're also asking me why would he not atone?
I’m talking about the first Passover, why was there no atonement?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Aren't there Jews who are not religious, never go to synagogue or engage in any rituals?
Yes, but they are born Jews. When a person is a Jew, they can sin. It should not surprise you that some wholehandedly walk away from their obligation. When someone converts, we do not convert mediocre Jews. We convert the best.