• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHat is Passover?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
What's it like living inside a guy with a falcon head?
Warm. And he can fly and stuff. Also his left eye is damaged and that's like my near-blind left eye so it's also familiar. Way better than being with a guy nailed to a cross and whatnot!
But are the bedrooms a good size and have the appliances been updated?

Ehav4Ever

Probably soft. @Ehav4Ever tell her about Temani matzah.

It was soft. Like below which is the custom of Jews of Middle East, Yemen, North Africa, Ethiopia, and even in the past Europe.

Below are examples of soft matzah that is still done today. Here in Israel there are programs where kids can make them.

soft1.jpeg

upload_2021-3-23_14-56-46.png

1*3NVh6-3xWSRTcpXKU_lHNA.jpeg

matzah.jpg

Ehav4Ever

Is it Jewish or Christian or both?

Passover is Israeli/Jewish. If you want to see how Jews historically and currently keep Pesah (פסח) Passover see the following videos from four different ancient Jewish communities.

Yemenite Jewish Pesah/Passover Seder (start at about 1:32)

-------------
Sephardic Jewish Pesah/Passover Seder (start at about 5:32)

--------------
Ashkenazi Jewish Pesah/Passover Seder

---------------
Ethiopian Jewish Pesah/Passover Seder (Start at about 2:15)

Ehav4Ever

Aren't there Jews who are not religious, never go to synagogue or engage in any rituals?

Yes, and the reason they are Jewish, at least biologically, is because their parents were Jewish. Where it changes is often after about 2 to 3 generations later if said persons have maried outside of the Jewish communities, unless they are in Israel where they are literally surrounded by Jews and often have a lower rate of marrying out.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hebrew seems to be a language that only the Jews can understand.
Who speaks Koine Greek now? How many Christians? How many use it in their liturgies? How many read the KG NT? Compare this with how many shuls use Hebrew.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Who speaks Koine Greek now? How many Christians? How many use it in their liturgies? How many read the KG NT? Compare this with how many shuls use Hebrew.
Well, god is flexible nowadays. Hebrew -> Greek -> Latin -> English, etc.

So you're saying that somewhere in the Exodus story it says that the Passover lamb is an atonement sacrifice and I've missed it this whole time?
Did you not read the story? What is your understanding of Passover? What do you believe Jesus meant when He said this?
“Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44-45‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you not read the story?
I have, many many times. Did you not read it? Where does it say in the Pentateuch that the Passover lamb is an atonement sacrifice?
What do you believe Jesus meant when He said this?
“Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44-45‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
I don't believe Jesus said any of that. I don't believe in the NT's version of Jesus. It's a fancy work of biblical fanfiction.

I have, many many times. Did you not read it? Where does it say in the Pentateuch that the Passover lamb is an atonement sacrifice?

I don't believe Jesus said any of that. I don't believe in the NT's version of Jesus. It's a fancwork of biblical fanfiction.
What was the atonement sacrifice at the time of the first Passover?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Why the Passover then?
And you said I haven't read the story...

The Passover was an event concurrent to the Plague of the Firstborn. While the firstborn children of the Egyptians were killed at midnight, the Israelites were given a choice: Prepare a sacrificial lamb per God's instructions via Moshe and paint the blood of the slaughter on the door posts as a sign of faith in God and be spared, with God "passing over" your home, or ignore the commandment and be killed, if you're a firstborn. If you were of the former, you barbecued the lamb and ate it during the night prior to the plague. This became the traditional Passover lamb sacrifice, to commemorate the special miracle.

rosends

@Harel13 I don't think that it was barbecued. Properly, wouldn't that be a low and slow method, probably with indirect heat? They roasted I thought.