• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is 'pagan'?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Jocose said:
A "pagan" does not necessarily believe any one thing or another. However, most pagans belong to traditions. These traditions have their own cultures, ethics, mythologies, texts, ideas and world views. Those pagans that do not belong to a tradition, usually ascribe to a "philosophy", such as Stoicism or Hedonism. Those who do not have a philosophy, tend toward living by the dictates of their experience, the rules and ideas most likely follow from there.
Gotcha...thanks..:)

~Victor

Jocose said:
A "pagan" does not necessarily believe any one thing or another. However, most pagans belong to traditions. These traditions have their own cultures, ethics, mythologies, texts, ideas and world views. Those pagans that do not belong to a tradition, usually ascribe to a "philosophy", such as Stoicism or Hedonism. Those who do not have a philosophy, tend toward living by the dictates of their experience, the rules and ideas most likely follow from there.
I like how you explained that, well done.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Jocose said:

Yes , very well said . :clap But atlast , I must spread Karma ... :banghead3

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
According to Websters dictionary, and some others, Pagan is any religion that isn't related to Judiasm, Christianity, or Islam. So by definition, even Jedi's are Pagan.
My personal definition is a religion that is earth based, and can be Nocturnal or Light-based.

DreamQuickBook

Luke Wolf said:
According to Websters dictionary, and some others, Pagan is any religion that isn't related to Judiasm, Christianity, or Islam. So by definition, even Jedi's are Pagan.
My personal definition is a religion that is earth based, and can be Nocturnal or Light-based.

Nocturnal or light based? Is this like, Right Hand vs. Left Hand path?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But just what does " earth based " mean Luke ?
By earth based, I mean religions that tend to worship nature dieties, and be at peace with nature. An example would be Wicca or Druidism.

Nocturnal or light based? Is this like, Right Hand vs. Left Hand path?
Nocturnal would be religions that are connected to dark energies and the night, but not neccesarily evil. Konstantinos writes some good books covering Nocturnal paths. Light-based, the only word I could think of, are religions that do more during the day, and work more with sun-based energies, rather than lunar.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ok , I figured that was what you meant Luke , but would there be more to it then that ? I mean every religion has to do with Nature in one way or another . So what differates a Pagan from a Nature-loving Christian ?

And of course , a Pagan could be both Noctural and Light worshipping , couldn't they ?

And an unrelated question , are Satanist Pagans ? Any seem to think so , but personally I would think not . Well , not the LaVey Satanist at lest .

DreamQuickBook

Luke Wolf said:
By earth based, I mean religions that tend to worship nature dieties, and be at peace with nature. An example would be Wicca or Druidism.

Nocturnal would be religions that are connected to dark energies and the night, but not neccesarily evil. Konstantinos writes some good books covering Nocturnal paths. Light-based, the only word I could think of, are religions that do more during the day, and work more with sun-based energies, rather than lunar.

There are pleanty of pagans that don't worship nature dieties, that are very, very different from Wicca, that also don't focus on dark energies.

Asatru, Forn Sed & Hinduism, to name a few.

Fluffy

A fool
And of course , a Pagan could be both Noctural and Light worshipping , couldn't they ?
Yup, plenty of Wiccans would be both of these as well as tons of other pagans.

And an unrelated question , are Satanist Pagans ? Any seem to think so , but personally I would think not . Well , not the LaVey Satanist at lest .
Under the official definition, yes Satanists are pagans. Since Satanism has 3 clear meanings and paganism 4 or 5, combining the 2 words is obviously going to be chaotic and so I doubt you'll find many people agreeing on such an issue.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
And Hinduism is Pagan ?

I have a few friends that I believe would disagree with that . :) But that is the problem with definations . Whose defination do you use ? I mean , if we use a defination from a Christian based dictionary , then we should also allow that same dictionary to define Wiccan , or Witch , shouldn't we ?

Just a thought . :)

DreamQuickBook

kreeden said:
And Hinduism is Pagan ?

I have a few friends that I believe would disagree with that . :) But that is the problem with definations . Whose defination do you use ? I mean , if we use a defination from a Christian based dictionary , then we should also allow that same dictionary to define Wiccan , or Witch , shouldn't we ?

Just a thought . :)

Yes. Wiccans are pagan. Witches are pagan. Hindus are pagan. (Satanists and Buddhists are questionable; but... most likely pagan)

Fluffy

A fool
(Satanists and Buddhists are questionable; but... most likely pagan)
Why do you think that Satanists and Buddhists are questionable? Is there a shared quality that causes such questionability or is it 2 different factors?

DreamQuickBook

Fluffy said:
Why do you think that Satanists and Buddhists are questionable? Is there a shared quality that causes such questionability or is it 2 different factors?
One Factor. Satanists and Buddists are closer to Atheists than they are to Pagans, imo. However, they aren't Christian, Jewish or Muslim...so... pagan? I guess.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Jocose said:
Yes. Wiccans are pagan. Witches are pagan. Hindus are pagan. (Satanists and Buddhists are questionable; but... most likely pagan)
And you appear to be missing my point . I have no doubt that Wiccans and Witchs are Pagan , but if we force a defination upon another , shouldn't we accept the defination others force upon us ? I'm refering to all of those post that say Witchs love the devil and all of that .

DreamQuickBook

kreeden said:
And you appear to be missing my point . I have no doubt that Wiccans and Witchs are Pagan , but if we force a defination upon another , shouldn't we accept the defination others force upon us ? I'm refering to all of those post that say Witchs love the devil and all of that .

No. You are right. I am still missing your point. Who is forcing a definition on who?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Sorry Jocose . Force was too strong a word for what I meant . :)

Basically what I mean is that definations are bias by their very nature . And I think that perhaps your defination has somewhat of a Western bias when it groups Eastern religions , like Hinduism into it . Although I do kinda see the connections , I am sure that the Hindu guys I work with would view Chistianity as being pagan . { note pagan , as in the defination " anyone not acknowledging one's God " }

There is a danger in defining things , so I tend to think it better in allowing others to define themselves as they see fit . We are all pagans , in the eyes of one religion or another . :)

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Here comes my views. (note: i'm talking about big "P" pagans not the "godless heathens" use of the word)

All wiccans are witches, but not all witches are wiccans, all witches are pagans, but not all pagans are witches.

The best way i can explain what defines a pagan is that their rituals are more suitable to be performed amongst nature itself, kreedan asked about a nature loving christian, and my reply is that christians (and pretty much every other mainstream religon) build churches which seperate their religious practises from nature.

Or if that description doesn't please you, then i have an alternative for you. Pagans tap into more primative energy/divinities/etc.

Solon

These words are at the heart of our Following of the Old Ones

" Or if that description doesn't please you, then i have an alternative for you. Pagans tap into more primative energy/divinities/"

Thank you

Solon