• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is nothingness?

Tambourine

I don't think nothingness can become anything, either. I think only things can change form to become other things.

I don't think that X can become Y unless X first exists. And I think being is existing. So I don't think that nothing can become anything because I don't think that nothing can be anything and I think that being is a precondition for becoming.
If the Big Bang theory is correct, then we live in universe that hasn't always existed.
This would imply that nothing can become a thing.

Also, if X can become Y, then that implies that something that is Not Y can become Y.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
If the Big Bang theory is correct, then we live in universe that hasn't always existed.

Also, if X can become Y, then that implies that something that is Not Y can become Y.

If the Big Bang Theory is valid there are many variations, and the multiverse likely exists. At minmum our universe exists in a greater Quantum World beyond our universe.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

No. Leaving aside that the BB theory isn't really about the very beginning, if the time dimension is finite in the past direction, then that was the start of time itself, so there was never a time at which nothing existed. In that case, the space-time manifold would just be finite in one direction (past time). Both time an causality are internal aspects of the universe, so trying to apply them to the manifold as a whole doesn't make much sense.

SESMeT

It could also just imply that the universe came from something else. Rather than from nothing.