• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is not said in your scripture that you are dogmatic about.

whirlingmerc

For example in the Koran it says Abraham offered his son and the Bible Abraham offers Issac
but today most Muslims feel without scriptural support it was not Isaac but Ishmael. So why might that be

Are there similar issues, things feel strongly about not really spoken to the way moderns do?
Are there other cases where an oral tradition (like Abraham offering Ismael) trumps something written by Moses (Abraham offering Isaac) ?

Oral tradition of men?

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I am pretty dogmatic about Evolution..which is not in the Scriptures...so...:)

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
For example in the Koran it says Abraham offered his son and the Bible Abraham offers Issac
but today most Muslims feel without scriptural support it was not Isaac but Ishmael. So why might that be

Are there similar issues, things feel strongly about not really spoken to the way moderns do?
Are there other cases where an oral tradition (like Abraham offering Ismael) trumps something written by Moses (Abraham offering Isaac) ?

Oral tradition of men?

It's amazing to me that people can be so dogmatic about so many beliefs, especially in Christianity, that do not originate in the Bible except by inference or implication.

My former religion taught that God was a trinity....there is no trinity in the Bible. Neither the Jews nor the early Christians taught that Jesus was part of a triune godhead....yet it has become a principle doctrine.

They taught about eternal torture in hell.....the Bible's hell is merely the grave. No one suffers in Sheol or hades. It is a place of rest.

They said that when you die, your soul goes either to heaven or hell....there is no such teaching in the Bible. The only choice God's people were offered was life or death. Adam was simply told that he would return to the dust....nothing more. Our "soul" is us....the living, breathing human creature. The word never describes a separate invisible part of man, but the living fleshly organism...of both man and animal.

They celebrated pagan holidays, (Christmas and Easter) when Christians are told not to mix true worship with false worship. One contaminates the other.

They supported the wars of the nations when Jesus said we cannot be part of the world and its political squabbles and bloodshed. He told us to love our enemies.

These are the teachings that forced me to abandon Christendom altogether. They all taught the same things under different banners.

whirlingmerc

... that 'scripture' is the fallible product of human authorship.

So... let me understand this.... Moses writes that Abraham was going to offer Isaac... the Koran more ambiguously says Abraham offered his son... and there is some claim to an oral tradition the Abraham offered Ishmael are all on the same par as per the interpretation?

God cannot lie as part of His character so I would say in the original scripture is infallible. "All scripture is God breathed" as per 2 Tim 3:16 that is if it is indeed scripture. Things of human tradition are not scripture in that sense

whirlingmerc

I am pretty dogmatic about Evolution..which is not in the Scriptures...so...:)

The fogmatics are clearing?

Well I believe a bear can become a polar bear or a panda bear
but that would be a narrowing of information not an increase.

Everyone believes in some sort of evolution.... but as per the question at hand what scripture do you start with? the humanist manifesto?

whirlingmerc

(Oy vey. And I tried so hard to use really simple sentences.)

Poor Jayhawker... you said the claim was baseless... I'm just asking you to be precise as there are multiple claims

Moses claims Abraham offered Isaac
Koran claims Abraham offered his son
Islamic tradition names his son as Ishmael

Frankly I take Moses over tradition any day

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Put your right shoe on, then your left. Tie your left lace before your right.

It's just the way, damnit.

Last edited: