• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Noahidism?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Judaism DIR.

I mean this question in terms of if someone asks a Ben/Bat Noah what is his/her religion, of course we say: Noahide.

But this leaves me questioning, because it's not really a religion as such is it? Surely that would transgress the commandment not to create a new religion as well? Makes me feel a bit uneasy about calling it my 'religion'.

Last edited:

rosends

It is the conforming to the universal laws given to all the children of Noah as understood by Pharisaic Judaism. It isn't a religion as much as a way of living in accordance with the demands of God.

I guess...

Kirran

Premium Member
Would it be unfair to say that all goyim are Noahides, but some of us just aren't doing so good at it? In the same way a Jew can be as unobservant as you like, but is still a Jew?

rosends

There is no particular and separate entity known as "Noachides" in Judaism. All who are not Jewish are bound by the laws. In modern parlance, the term seems to denote those who explicitly define their theological identity by those laws.

Kirran

Premium Member
There is no particular and separate entity known as "Noachides" in Judaism. All who are not Jewish are bound by the laws. In modern parlance, the term seems to denote those who explicitly define their theological identity by those laws.

That's kind of what I meant to say really. They aren't laws for Noahides, they're just laws for goyim. Thanks for clearing it up rosends.

Kirran

Premium Member
Read the sign numbnuts! Its the Judaism DIR :D

I apologise, I was trying to make sure the stuff I was saying was in line with respectful questioning and thanking for that respectful questioning. And, um, replying to you now as well.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I apologise, I was trying to make sure the stuff I was saying was in line with respectful questioning and thanking for that respectful questioning. And, um, replying to you now as well.
As per usual i made a mistake. Move along... :p

Brian Schuh

I'm a noahide. But I tell hospitals and other institutions that I am of the Jewish faith. I don't say that I am a Jew or even Jewish just of the faith because no one seems to know what a noahide is.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
I'm a noahide. But I tell hospitals and other institutions that I am of the Jewish faith. I don't say that I am a Jew or even Jewish just of the faith because no one seems to know what a noahide is.

I do the same, but I'm a practicing Jew so it's a bit different. Can Noachideism even BE considered a religion when it has no community, no leadership, no organization, no brick-and-mortar place of worship? Of course not. I wish this was not the case, I'd love to be part of such.