• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is naturalism?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And how do you determine if something is 'beyond the visible observable universe'?

Is it simply a matter of interaction with light (visible)?

I don't determine it. I as I believe in it. It is part of the problem of "the thing in itself". You apparently use the axiomatic assumption that "the thing in itself" is natural. I believe it to be God.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
What is naturalism?
That is my question.
Simply it is the factual natural cause of the nature of our physical existence.

naturalism definition - Google Search

"2 - the philosophical belief that everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted."

The simple answer does not give the whole story There is Methodological Naturalism, Ontological or Philosophical Naturalism, Theological Naturalism..

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I don't determine it. I as I believe in it. It is part of the problem of "the thing in itself". You apparently use the axiomatic assumption that "the thing in itself" is natural. I believe it to be God.

Naturalism, unless you are referring to a version of 'Theological Naturalism as in the above or the contrary Ontological Naturalism,' These by there nature are subjective philosophical/theological assumptions. Naturalism in and of itself does not deal with the existence nor non-existence of Gods.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yes, both.

Yes.

I rather like like the following definition:

Naturalism prohibits any appeal to entities or causal agencies that are claimed to be in principle not amenable to scientific investigation. This doubly negative explication can, of course, be transposed into a positive statement—The entities and causal agencies to which one appeals in inquiry must be in principle amenable to scientific investigation—but the negative formulation better captures the forensic stance of naturalism. Naturalism is most appropriately conceived as the denial of the positive thesis that in inquiry it is legitimate to appeal to entities and causal agencies that are claimed to be in principle not amenable to scientific investigation.

Matthew C. Bagger; Dewey's Bulldog: Sidney Hook, Pragmatism, and Naturalism

Naturalism is the rejection of appeals to supernatural (or preternatural or transnatural) agency.

atanu

Premium Member
What is naturalism?
That is my question.

Yeah. I will copy the definition provided by another member and add a bit.

Ontological naturalism is the thesis that the physical world is causally closed: any cause of a physical event is also physical.

The problem is this definition itself has no natural evidence.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I am fairly certain a dictionary exists for such a simple inquiry.

I am not that certain.
This one is a good starting point:
Naturalism prohibits any appeal to entities or causal agencies that are claimed to be in principle not amenable to scientific investigation. This doubly negative explication can, of course, be transposed into a positive statement—The entities and causal agencies to which one appeals in inquiry must be in principle amenable to scientific investigation—but the negative formulation better captures the forensic stance of naturalism. Naturalism is most appropriately conceived as the denial of the positive thesis that in inquiry it is legitimate to appeal to entities and causal agencies that are claimed to be in principle not amenable to scientific investigation.

Matthew C. Bagger; Dewey's Bulldog: Sidney Hook, Pragmatism, and Naturalism

Provided by @Jayhawker Soule

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Ontological naturalism is the thesis that the physical world is causally closed: any cause of a physical event is also physical.

Yes, it is the basis for evidence. But not evidence in itself.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Then I am still unclear what the distinction is.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

On the contrary. Every cause we have ever found is a physical cause.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The more in vogue response is that the supernatural is the mutable abrogation of natural processes. It is, however, the elevation of the natural and not the negation thereof.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, if something is in itself and independent of mind for which you only know trough the mind, what can you know of it, other than it is in itself and independent of mind. It is from Immanuel Kant.

Sorry, I couldn't parse that. Could you rephrase?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

No! The word meaning for example has no direct physical observation or detection through instruments.
That physical means ..., is only known in the mind as understanding. You don't see or detection through instruments understanding.
We are play this game of empiricism: Knowledge comes only or primarily from sensory experience.

atanu

Premium Member

That observation does not justify the axiom at all.

Furthermore, mental causation and/or consciousness is not explained by any physical parameter or process.

I will not get into this argument again. :praying: