• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is my Christian confession? I am in search.

Nicoletta26

My theological positions:
Apostolic succession, celebration of same-sex marriages, rejection of abortion and euthanasia, importance of the liturgy and tradition, women pastor or priest, liberation theology, anti-capitalism, pro-life culture, mysticism, asceticism, seven sacraments, feminism, monasticism, veneration of saints, chastity before marriage and embryo protection and primacy .

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
We could friends, I agree fully with all but a few of your positions , and even the ones I do not fully embrace might make for interesting conversation. WELCOME to RF Nicoletta26!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How exactly is "embryo protection", a theological concept? Also when you say "mysticism" what are you describing? The likes of John of the Cross, Meister Eckhart, Teresa of Avila?

HonestJoe

I'd argue that most of the things you list aren't theological concepts, they're largely socio-political positions. Religious people can certainly base their opinions and conclusions around those questions on theological concepts and religious principles but the very fact that people of the same religion can reach different conclusions demonstrates that they're not fundamentally theological alone.

I personally don't see how you can reach a set of conclusions and then decide what you're going to belief religiously as a consequence of that. It just seems entirely the wrong way around.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which church is the closest to my theology?
The only theological concept in there was Liberation Theology. The rest were social and cultural values. I found it interesting you cite liberal values, such as gay marriage and women priests as something you support, yet you take the right-wing conservative values such as protection of zygotes and rejection of the free-will choice of suicide. I'm not sure where you can find yourself organization wise.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I actually was going to say American Catholic, on the progressive side (with some right-wing attached). The American Catholic church is a constant thorn in the side of Rome.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What Catholic theologians defend euthanasia and destruction of embryos?
What theologian deals with those questions which exist outside theology? It's like asking which theologian defends the use of modern medicines. That's not a theological question. What these questions of euthanasia, birth control, abortion, gay rights, etc. are are more questions of church positions on morals and social values. Those are questions for church leadership, clergy, and whatnot.

So are there those in leadership positions who have more liberal stances on these questions, who find birth control, abortions, gay marriage, euthanasia, etc morally acceptable? Yes, of course there are. There are plenty of American Catholic churches which disagree with Rome. As I said, American Catholics can be a thorn in the side of Rome. Not all of them, but certainly there are those which are. It's a mistake to believe there are no disagreements in the RCC.

Last edited:

Rakovsky

Apostolic succession, celebration of same-sex marriages, rejection of abortion and euthanasia, importance of the liturgy and tradition, women pastor or priest, liberation theology, anti-capitalism, pro-life culture, mysticism, asceticism, seven sacraments, feminism, monasticism, veneration of saints, chastity before marriage and embryo protection and primacy .
Anglicanism.

Rakovsky

Which church is the closest to my theology?
Anglicanism, Episcopal church USA is your questions answer bc Gay marriage, 7 sacraments, monasticism is your criteria.

If you asked which church is closest to the 1st century church, this would be a more interesting question with a different answer.
Most churches claim to be closest, but in truth they imagine the early church to match their preconceptions.

Rakovsky

I seek a pro life, gay friendly, feminist and anti-capitalist church.
Anti-capitalist churches, strictly speaking, are hard to come by, except maybe for the Quakers. I suppose they would fit what you said in the underlined above, but doubt that they are generally strongly anti-abortion in the way Catholics are. I don't know that there is a whole church that suits your exact definition, although you could create your own schismatic heretical sect that does.
At most, you can find Anglicans who are openly " pro life, gay friendly, feminist and anti-capitalist" and you can find this position to be openly permitted in the Anglican church. I think that it's your best bet for what you want.

What is more interesting is what the early Church was like. In some ways the early church in Paul's time was anti-capitalist. But it was not "gay friendly". It was permitted to be gay in the early church (eg. to be a person who has those unusual inclinations), but committing the act of gay sex was a sinful crime under the Torah and in Paul's view in the New Testament. Their attitude would be like the "hate the sin and love the sinner" attitude today of some Christians.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Anglican/Episcopalian.

Rakovsky

But I didn't ask you about that. I asked,

What do you believe about the Bible?
You did not ask me anything at all. Your question was directed to Nicoletta.
I don't believe that the Bible accepts homosexual acts as normal, if that is what you are getting at. Paul considered it sinful in the NT.