• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Mind?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What is mind? Is there any evidence for the notion that mind is separate from and not dependent on the brain? Why or why not?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
The mind is the brain. The view that the mind is seperate from the brain (like the view of a soul) is unnecessary and therefore useless. With a few cuts and electric jolts, the 'mind' can be destroyed, multiplied, improved, or reduced.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The mind may be regarded as the web of interconnected neurons that operates the processes of integrating sensory data with memory.

djrez4

Swollen Member
The mind is the brain. The view that the mind is seperate from the brain (like the view of a soul) is unnecessary and therefore useless. With a few cuts and electric jolts, the 'mind' can be destroyed, multiplied, improved, or reduced.

What is a schizophrenic? Is it not a collection of multiple minds within the same brain?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
What is a schizophrenic? Is it not a collection of multiple minds within the same brain?
A schizophrenic has a flaw in their wiring. That, if anything, destroys the concept of mind. I can give you bi-polar disorder for instance.

Rolling_Stone

What is mind? Is there any evidence for the notion that mind is separate from and not dependent on the brain? Why or why not?
There are many theories about mind, but no one really knows what it is or its cause. Regarding it as nothing more than an interconnected web of neurons, however, is like explaining a driver in terms of the mechanics of the car he’s driving. There is a continual flow of information between driver and car, but the one is not the other in spite of their interdependence.

I have described mind as the inevitable technique used by the ONE to unify the ever-widening divergence of the universe manifestations, which is the result of its act of its self-differentiation. Using the brain like a radio receiver, mind in man exists in a highly condensed form — as a field of influence within a field of influence. (This is alluded to in Christian theology so it is not completely off the wall.) From our highly material point of view, there’s no telling how many layers and variations of mind there really are.

All what I’ve said here may or may not be, but I think it illustrates why I think it is vain and absurd to think we understand all the workings of mind.

Random

The mind is a process executed by the brain.

That's it, yes. I find the brain-hardware/CPU analogy works well with mind-Software couplet. There are many ways consciousness survives death. Think of a variety of disks which store information...

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
That's it, yes. I find the brain-hardware/CPU analogy works well with mind-Software couplet. There are many ways consciousness survives death. Think of a variety of disks which store information...

I find computer models fairly useful, too. The mind is the operating system for reality. Before the self is concretized, memories are not deposited into a relational file structure, but they are there in a form inaccessible to consciousness, which depends on its relational database structure to sort and access memories. But those unsorted memories persist and can have dramatic effects on all other processes (including the operating system itself in ways it cannot perceive), like a system BIOS or "boot disk".

Francine

When I store my MP3s on DVDs I can't hear them playing. Even if our memories are stored after death, we need a brain to access them.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
The mind i would say is the brain with all its generic properties and functions plus the customisations and changers that occure through learning and memory by means of synaptic plasticity for example. (Genes + memes could be another way of putting it). What happens to this system at death who really knows. Im in a rush atm, so if u guys are still talking about the survival of the mind after death ill post later
bye :)

Random

doppelgänger;1067674 said:
I find computer models fairly useful, too. The mind is the operating system for reality. Before the self is concretized, memories are not deposited into a relational file structure, but they are there in a form inaccessible to consciousness, which depends on its relational database structure to sort and access memories. But those unsorted memories persist and can have dramatic effects on all other processes (including the operating system itself in ways it cannot perceive), like a system BIOS or "boot disk".

Programs, the mind operates on programs. ;)