• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is meaning of "idol" in the Christian state?

questfortruth

I suspect that the word "idol" has changed its meaning. What was his meaning in the Christian Empire of Constantine the Great?

Can this word be used in its old meaning again, replacing the word "gods" in the movies, ufology, and historic texts?

Do we call idols the gods when we talk about cults on TV because we honor the position of idolaters?

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I suspect that the word "idol" has changed its meaning. What was his meaning in the Christian Empire of Constantine the Great?

Can this word be used in its old meaning again, replacing the word "gods" in the movies, ufology, and historic texts?

Ooof...interesting question, but there's no simple answer.
This was actually a question of great debate in the days of the Byzantine Empire post Constantine, and the ruling on what constitutes idolatry changed quite often.

The discussions were of broad interest in the community, and the views of different leaders were basically barracked for in a way somewhat similar to political parties now.

pearl

Has it really changed. An idol can be whatever one worships other than or along side of God. Today it seems the worship of money and power.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ooof...interesting question, but there's no simple answer.
This was actually a question of great debate in the days of the Byzantine Empire post Constantine, and the ruling on what constitutes idolatry changed quite often.

The discussions were of broad interest in the community, and the views of different leaders were basically barracked for in a way somewhat similar to political parties now.
Yes, it is interesting. I am singing an anthem "Ascribe Unto the Lord", which contains gleeful contempt of idols: "As for the gods of heathen they are but idols. The have mouths but speak not. Ears have they, but hear not. Noses have they, but smell not." And so on.

It strikes me as rather silly. No serious religion, surely, would imbue a man-made representation with actual divinity. These "idols" of the gods of the heathen therefore must be, just as statues and religious pictures today, depictions of a divinity, made to help focus the mind of the worshipper on the divinity represented, not the object itself. If so, what is the issue? We use words and music to do the same thing, so why a prohibition on visual representations, specifically?

I am curious about this. Maybe it is that, in Judaism, God is thought of as inexpressible in human terms and it is demeaning God to even try. I can see the logic in that, certainly. Is this right, do you think?

But then Christianity is different in that God became man, and so the man can be represented without demeaning God. Ditto for the saints, who are venerated, but not worshiped, in many branches of Christendom.

epronovost

Has it really changed. An idol can be whatever one worships other than or along side of God. Today it seems the worship of money and power.

bibliolatry, the worship of the Bible itself, seems to on the rise too.

questfortruth

It strikes me as rather silly. No serious religion, surely, would imbue a man-made representation with actual divinity. These "idols" of the gods of the heathen therefore must be, just as statues and religious pictures today, depictions of a divinity, made to help focus
The folk was simple-minded: the statue of Zeus in his yard was in fact the Zeus, no gap between material and Zeus. Today you are projecting Christianity knowledge on paganism. Because Christianity is our genetic base even in post-Christian Europe.

epronovost

I am curious about this. Maybe it is that, in Judaism, God is thought of as inexpressible in human terms and it is demeaning God to even try.

In the OT there is a commandment that proscribes the production of any form of image of practically anything not just of other deities or idols. I would suspect this prohibition comes from the Ancient Hebrew beliefs in magic and more particularly golem spells.

exchemist

Veteran Member
In the OT there is a commandment that proscribes the production of any form of image of practically anything not just of other deities or idols. I would suspect this prohibition comes from the Ancient Hebrew beliefs in magic and more particularly golem spells.
I had to look that up. An interesting connection to make, I grant you.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Are `idols` "HEROS" or "SAVIOURS"
Do `idols` represent past beings, or invisible transparencies ?
What about Buddha, was he a savior ? Or a hero?
One can worship a god, but an idol ? Maybe the crucifix ?
One sees an idol, but the gods are invisible, aren't they, why?