• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is John trying to say?

Teritos

Only 5 times in the NT the Greek word "parakletos" appears. 4 times it appears in the Gospel of John, and in these 4 times it is said that the Holy Spirit is the "parakletos". And one last time it appears in the first letter of John and in this passage the "parakletos" is Jesus according to John.
According to the Bible, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Jesus Christ and the Spirit of the Father live in Christians. Are these 4 spirits synonyms for one and the same or do 4 different spirits live in one Christian?

1 John 2:1
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have the Parakletos with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Only 5 times in the NT the Greek word "parakletos" appears. 4 times it appears in the Gospel of John, and in these 4 times it is said that the Holy Spirit is the "parakletos". And one last time it appears in the first letter of John and in this passage the "parakletos" is Jesus according to John.
According to the Bible, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Jesus Christ and the Spirit of the Father live in Christians. Are these 4 spirits synonyms for one and the same or do 4 different spirits live in one Christian?

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have the Parakletos with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

I believe it is one Spirit: God.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

What version are you using?

The reason I ask:

(AFV) My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And yet, if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father; Jesus Christ the Righteous;

(ASV) My little children, these things write I unto you that ye may not sin. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

(BBE) My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may be without sin. And if any man is a sinner, we have a friend and helper with the Father, Jesus Christ, the upright one:

(Bishops) My litle chyldren, these thynges write I vnto you, that ye sinne not. And yf any man sinne, we haue an aduocate with the father, Iesus Christe the ryghteous.

(Darby) My children, these things I write to you in order that ye may not sin; and if any one sin, we have a patron with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

(DRB) My little children, these things I write to you, that you may not sin. But if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the just.

(EMTV) My little children, these things I write to you, that you may not sin. And if someone should sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

(ERV) My dear children, I write this letter to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone sins, we have Jesus Christ to help us. He always did what was right, so he is able to defend us before God the Father.

(Geneva) My litle children, these things write I vnto you, that ye sinne not: and if any man sinne, wee haue an Aduocate with the Father, Iesus Christ, the Iust.

(GNB) I am writing this to you, my children, so that you will not sin; but if anyone does sin, we have someone who pleads with the Father on our behalf—Jesus Christ, the righteous one.

(ISV) My little children, I'm writing these things to you so that you might not sin. Yet if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus, the Messiah, one who is righteous.

(KJV) My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

(KJV-1611) My little children, these things write I vnto you, that ye sinne not. And if any man sinne, we haue an Aduocate with the Father, Iesus Christ the righteous:

(KJVA) My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

(KJV-BRG) My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

(LEB) My little children, I am writing these things to you in order that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one,

(LITV) My little children, I write these things to you so that you do not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

(LSV) My little children, these things I write to you that you may not sin: and if anyone may sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, [the] Righteous One,

(MKJV) My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

(RV) My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye may not sin. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

(TLV) My children, I am writing these things to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Intercessor with the Father—the righteous Messiah Yeshua.

(TPT) You are my dear children, and I write these things to you so that you won’t sin. But if anyone does sin, we continually have a forgiving Redeemer who is face-to-face with the Father: Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

(TS2009) My little children, I write this to you, so that you do not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Intercessor with the Father, יהושע Messiah, a righteous One.

(WEB) My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous.

(WEBA) My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous.

(Webster) My little children, these things I write to you, that ye sin not. And if any man sinneth, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

(Weymouth) Dear children, I write thus to you in order that you may not sin. If any one sins, we have an Advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ the righteous;

(Williams) My dear children, I am writing you this so that you may not sin; yet if anyone ever sins, we have One who pleads our case with the Father, Jesus Christ, One who is righteous.

(YLT) My little children, these things I write to you, that ye may not sin: and if any one may sin, an advocate we have with the Father, Jesus Christ, a righteous one,

According to the Bible, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Jesus Christ and the Spirit of the Father live in Christians. Are these 4 spirits synonyms for one and the same or do 4 different spirits live in one Christian?...

I have understood spirit is like attitude. For example, the Holy Spirit is called the spirit of truth, which leads to truth.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13

And Bible tells God is spirit and love.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

I think, if person has the spirit of truth, he has the desire to go towards truth. If person has the spirit of love, it means he wants to do good and right to others. But then, what is the spirit of Jesus. I think one thing it could be is the attitude to be loyal to God.

I think they are not synonyms, but they all are God’s.