• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is it with evolved chimps?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
At what point in evolution did Apes develop this strong need for religion, or else they would feel empty?

I've seen on TV that one tribe of chimps will sometimes go to war with and invade another tribe of chimps.

They communicate with each other, but it doesn't look like they have any religious beliefs to fight over.

So was it the destiny of apes to write a Bible that would become a best-seller year after year and influence how billions of people live their lives?

The Apes that wrote the Bible wrote a brilliant work of fiction, if that is the case.

Also, what caused Apes to evolve into these creatures that fly to the moon, have cell phones, internet, and satellites in the sky, and robots on Mars?

Perhaps we are actually made in the image and likeness of some intelligent supernatural being and chimps are not?

Maybe we evolved from chimps, but there was a supernatural entity that was manipulating natural selection?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
We have so much in common with Chimps. But do we really? What are chimps iventing that they didn't have 5 thousand years ago?

Perhaps natural selection alone isn't what brought about this
44.jpg
th.jpg

To eventually become this:
jjj.jpg
mmmm.jpg
sss.jpg

I know that is simpleminded and evolution is far more complex than saying "we evolved from chimps". But still, the transformation from a big bang, the sun being in the right place, and a single cell organism evolved to such phenomenal transformation over billions of years, is mind-boggling. I don't claim to understand science. It just isn't my thing. Yet, it seems so much is theory without any way to prove it. Granted, there is proof that evolution does happen, but there appears to be a plan behind it.

Jumi

At what point in evolution did Apes develop this strong need for religion, or else they would feel empty?
You can't miss something you aren't addicted to. You could ask how did the great apes develop a strong need to play with their mobile phones for at least two hours a day?

Rational Agnostic

We have so much in common with Chimps. But do we really? What are chimps iventing that they didn't have 5 thousand years ago?

Perhaps natural selection alone isn't what brought about this
View attachment 23962 View attachment 23963

To eventually become this:
View attachment 23964 View attachment 23965 View attachment 23966

I know that is simpleminded and evolution is far more complex than saying "we evolved from chimps". But still, the transformation from a big bang, the sun being in the right place, and a single cell organism evolved to such phenomenal transformation over billions of years, is mind-boggling. I don't claim to understand science. It just isn't my thing. Yet, it seems so much is theory without any way to prove it. Granted, there is proof that evolution does happen, but there appears to be a plan behind it.

Humans didn't evolve from chimps. Chimps are our evolutionary cousins, meaning that we share a common ancestor with them, but we did not descend from them.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
You can't miss something you aren't addicted to. You could ask how did the great apes develop a strong need to play with their mobile phones for at least two hours a day?
Religion is huge in places with or without mobile phones.

I'm posting a lot on RF to not be tempted to use drugs

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I've seen on TV that one tribe of chimps will sometimes go to war with and invade another tribe of chimps.

They communicate with each other, but it doesn't look like they have any religious beliefs to fight over.

So was it the destiny of apes to write a Bible that would become a best-seller year after year and influence how billions of people live their lives?

The Apes that wrote the Bible wrote a brilliant work of fiction, if that is the case.

Also, what caused Apes to evolve into these creatures that fly to the moon, have cell phones, internet, and satellites in the sky, and robots on Mars?

Perhaps we are actually made in the image and likeness of some intelligent supernatural being and chimps are not?

Maybe we evolved from chimps, but there was a supernatural entity that was manipulating natural selection?

We definetely did not evolve from chimps.

Ciao

- viole

Earthling

David Henson
I think where the chimps went wrong was they were totally ignorant of the theory of evolution. That sort of thing always turns out bad. The tragedy was that the result was only PR shots of their skulls were used in the subsequent campaign. The so called "missing link," unfortunately, was never found.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Yet again we see a person using modern chimpanzees to describe hominid evolution. I am tired of correcting people that have clearly never read about that which they are discussing.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
We are apes. The fossils resemble chimp skulls at times. We certainly used to look more like chimps, if this has any truth to it:
View attachment 23967

Yes, my chimp friend says the same. It believes fhey used to look like us in the far past. It does not like it that much. It believes we are ugly.

And while it is true that we are both apes, primate, mammals, etc. we have enough evidence that we both come from a common ancestor.

Which is obvious, since all life comes from a common origin. And that entails that I have a common ancestor with things like bananas, fungi, wasps, trees, lettuce, salads, dinos, etc. and even incredible things like creationists.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
The straw man theory of evolution is much easier to tackle though, isn't it... :D
I guess, but it is very tiresome correcting these ignoramuses constantly. On the Fb debate groups, this "misconception" is a multiple times per day occurrence. And then people wonder why atheists are disgruntled sourpusses all the time. It's because of this and the milieu of other useless junk theists say we say. It doesn't end.

Like something from nothing, I am so tired of that one. Or "fine tuning."

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Not sure the bible is a best seller it doesn't come in the top 100 in most best seller list.

It is however (possibly) the most published the majority of which are given away. It is argued that Mao's little red book had more copied published than the bible. The problem being there are no accurate figures on publication and sale of some books, the bible being the worst offender in the tax dodge stakes.

Ain't evolution great. Some scientist say ravens, dolphins, even pigs are not far (in evolutionary terms) behind is.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I guess, but it is very tiresome correcting these ignoramuses constantly. On the Fb debate groups, this "misconception" is a multiple times per day occurrence. And then people wonder why atheists are disgruntled sourpusses all the time. It's because of this and the milieu of other useless junk theists say we say. It doesn't end.

Like something from nothing, I am so tired of that one. Or "fine tuning."
thT693W3RA.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We are apes. The fossils resemble chimp skulls at times. We certainly used to look more like chimps, if this has any truth to it:
View attachment 23967

We did not evolve from chimps but from an ape like mammal, as did all other apes. The difference being, the evolutionary path taken. What the guideposts (this way to gorilla, this way to chimp, this way to homo) are I really don't know but one could be the evolution of the throat to allow speech.