• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is it with certain lesbians and haircuts/hairstyles???

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So I have a lesbian friend who brings up certain hair styles as being "lesbian". I honestly don't get it, because I don't see how hairstyles tie into sexuality, necessarily. She thinks that the undercut is a "lesbian thing". I don't see how. Maybe I'm just not well-versed enough in lesbian culture (I'm more acquainted with gay male culture)? Or maybe she's reading too much into things? The undercut hairstyle is similar to the deathhawk from death rock subculture and some female skinhead (actual skinhead, not the fake racist boneheads) hairstyles. Those don't have anything to do with sexuality. Men also wear those hairstyles. It's like if a guy has a shaved head, you wouldn't assume he's part of the gay bear subculture or the leather subculture, so why do that with women? Frankly, I find it a bit annoying and I wish she'd just stop. It's stereotyping. It kind of reminds me of when I started buzzing and then shaving my head, people assumed that I'm a lesbian even though I'm a transsexual man.

Different types of undercuts:
GettyImages-145014470.jpg

86304ea14d202f2b695b2263d77410b1.jpg

b7c44b32f4c2fdfa95c1962e4986ef85.jpg

Deathhawk:
deathhawk.jpg

24fbf84d73baee1119b8ef3e5cd936db.jpg

364bfbee3a50b193fc521fba3a0bdaae.jpg

Female skinhead:
d76bd2f00112a1f35d17cefe27fc4ba7.jpg

d1fb85f52edbc72f17a4f5c4d62ca977.jpg

Some people even got mad over a character from the Mass Effect: Andromeda game "looking like a lesbian", but being straight. Wtf! My friend even brought up Cora being straight but having a "lesbian hairsyle".
Outrage After ‘Mass Effect’ Character Revealed to Be Not Gay

VioletVortex

There are two types of homosexuals. Those that are "hardcore" liking the very archetype of their gender, and those who like members of the same gender with aesthetic tendencies more in line with the opposite sex. Some lesbians are the latter, and thus they like women with shaven heads and whatnot.

Even in homosexuals, the underlying heterosexual tendencies are still present.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So I have a lesbian friend who brings up certain hair styles as being "lesbian". I honestly don't get it, because I don't see how hairstyles tie into sexuality, necessarily. She thinks that the undercut is a "lesbian thing". I don't see how. Maybe I'm just not well-versed enough in lesbian culture (I'm more acquainted with gay male culture)? Or maybe she's reading too much into things? The undercut hairstyle is similar to the deathhawk from death rock subculture and some female skinhead (actual skinhead, not the fake racist boneheads) hairstyles. Those don't have anything to do with sexuality. Men also wear those hairstyles. It's like if a guy has a shaved head, you wouldn't assume he's part of the gay bear subculture or the leather subculture, so why do that with women? Frankly, I find it a bit annoying and I wish she'd just stop. It's stereotyping. It kind of reminds me of when I started buzzing and then shaving my head, people assumed that I'm a lesbian even though I'm a transsexual man.

Different types of undercuts:
GettyImages-145014470.jpg

86304ea14d202f2b695b2263d77410b1.jpg

b7c44b32f4c2fdfa95c1962e4986ef85.jpg

Deathhawk:
deathhawk.jpg

24fbf84d73baee1119b8ef3e5cd936db.jpg

364bfbee3a50b193fc521fba3a0bdaae.jpg

Female skinhead:
d76bd2f00112a1f35d17cefe27fc4ba7.jpg

d1fb85f52edbc72f17a4f5c4d62ca977.jpg

Some people even got mad over a character from the Mass Effect: Andromeda game "looking like a lesbian", but being straight. Wtf! My friend even brought up Cora being straight but having a "lesbian hairsyle".
Outrage After ‘Mass Effect’ Character Revealed to Be Not Gay

To tell you honestly, those kind of hairstyles creep me out. I have a short short du. Someone thought I was a guy because I cross dress tom boy. Its stereotypes. I think maybe thats the new "lesbian fad"? For this generation.

I know growing up people wore more rainbows. I dont see that more in adults much but in teens and college kids I class with.

Also, the Out and Proud influences this too. I go to a LGBT organization at my school and students have wild does and clothing as a way of expression. It goes beyond sexual orientation. But the pictures you have look creepy.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
To tell you honestly, those kind kf hairstyles creep me out. I have a short shot du. Someone thought I was a guy because I cross dress tom boy. Its stereotypes. I think maybe thats the new "lesbian fad"? For this generation.

I know growing up people wore more rainbows. I dont see that more in adults much but in teens and college kids I class with.

Also, the Out and Proud influences this too. I go to a LGBT organization at my school and students have wild does and clothing as a way of expression. It goes beyond sexual orientation. But the pictures you have look creepy.
I don't find any of them creepy, but I think it is due to stereotyping and I think that's stupid. Hair is not a sexual organ. I don't see how it has to do with sexual orientation, aside from particular subcultures. I do see the stereotyping coming up more with women more than men, so there's sexism and gender role assumptions going on, too. Having short hair doesn't make a woman masculine and masculinity in females doesn't = lesbian. It's only even more annoying when that stereotyping comes from the LGBT community itself.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't find any of them creepy, but I think it is due to stereotyping and I think that's stupid. Hair is not a sexual organ. I don't see how it has to do with sexual orientation, aside from particular subcultures. I do see the stereotyping coming up more with women more than men, so there's sexism and gender role assumptions going on, too. Having short hair doesn't make a woman masculine and masculinity in females doesn't = lesbian.

It's a way of expression and a pattern I see in the LGBQ community that I don't see in straight communities (I don't see transgender as a separate "category")

We are lesbian, bisexual, gay, straight, and so forth and how we express ourselves based on our sexual orientation and especially for LGBTQ community acknowledge of gender and orientation is a huge deal. Many people are proud about it. The coming out group I went to, one lady was so glad she came out and identified with others she said she wished she can dress her whole room, clothes, and everything rainbow.

This is a crude analogy, forgive me, but it's like a transexual wearing women's clothing even though the clothing does not make that person male or female. It's the same with LGBQ community. Instead of gender, it's expression and who we are that some people-like those who identify as queer-may not identify by gender nor sex as a sole means of being who they are. My cousin changed her name to be a "girl's" name. What is a "girl's" name and what's a boy's name? They are just names.

Sexual orientation isn't just that. It has so much more too it. Some people identify with it more than others. In these pictures, they seem very extreme and that is how they identify their sexual orientation is not only scientifically but outside expression too.

As for people stereotyping them based on their hair do, that, I can see is wrong. Not from the LGBTQ person's perspective. Identity is in part expression (or to me in full). But from the outsiders view who are not LGBTQ+

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's a way of expression and a pattern I see in the LGBQ community that I don't see in straight communities (I don't see transgender as a separate "category")

We are lesbian, bisexual, gay, straight, and so forth and how we express ourselves based on our sexual orientation and especially for LGBTQ community acknowledge of gender and orientation is a huge deal. Many people are proud about it. The coming out group I went to, one lady was so glad she came out and identified with others she said she wished she can dress her whole room, clothes, and everything rainbow.

This is a crude analogy, forgive me, but it's like a transexual wearing women's clothing even though the clothing does not make that person male or female. It's the same with LGBQ community. Instead of gender, it's expression and who we are that some people-like those who identify as queer-may not identify by gender nor sex as a sole means of being who they are. My cousin changed her name to be a "girl's" name. What is a "girl's" name and what's a boy's name? They are just names.

Sexual orientation isn't just that. It has so much more too it. Some people identify with it more than others. In these pictures, they seem very extreme and that is how they identify their sexual orientation is not only scientifically but outside expression too.

As for people stereotyping them based on their hair do, that, I can see is wrong. Not from the LGBTQ person's perspective. Identity is in part expression (or to me in full). But from the outsiders view who are not LGBTQ+
I don't really understand what you're trying to say. My point was against stereotyping and making assumptions based on how people look. I don't know how any of those people in those pictures I posted sexually identify (death rock and skinhead subcultures have nothing to do with sexual orientation, anyway. I just posted them for comparison since the undercut style reminds me of that).

Flame

Beware
I find the same issue with various friends and ex-coworkers who bring up long hair on men was feminine; mostly done because I have long hair myself. However being from a upper Midwestern state probably doesn't help the issue.

However I find the undercut extremely attractive if the person can pull it off.

Natalie Dormer is a great example.:oops:

Natalie-Dormer-Side-Shaved-Hair-Design.jpg

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
My lesbian cousin told me that she and others were being pushed and bullied into a specific statement look.

They were literally being told they weren't real lesbians if they didn't conform to the "make a statement - WE ARE LESBIAN style." The others saw the style as an F-You to the establishment, = a statement.

She was tired of the crap and said NO!

She wanted to be herself. A lesbian with long black hair, and wanderlust.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I find the same issue with various friends and ex-coworkers who bring up long hair on men was feminine; mostly done because I have long hair myself. However being from a upper Midwestern state probably doesn't help the issue.

However I find the undercut extremely attractive if the person can pull it off.

Natalie Dormer is a great example.:oops:

Natalie-Dormer-Side-Shaved-Hair-Design.jpg
I used to not like the undercut look on women, but it's grown on me. It really works for some. I like it on both men and women now. I want the style, myself, now. But I'm simply too lazy to grow my hair out and take care of it Lol.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
My lesbian cousin told me that she and others were being pushed and bullied into a specific statement look.

They were literally being told they weren't real lesbians if they didn't conform to the "make a statement - WE ARE LESBIAN style." The others saw the style as an F-You to the establishment, = a statement.

She was tired of the crap and said NO!

She wanted to be herself. A lesbian with long black hair, and wanderlust.

I've noticed there does tend to be more of a focus on that sort of thing in lesbian culture, along with the butch/femme thing, which strikes me as more stereotyping and reifying of gender roles. Like if a woman is a warrior or a soldier (like Ripley from Alien), then she must be "butch" or a lesbian. It's rather stupid, imo.

I just recalled my mother telling me that the makeup girls at Macy's in SF where she used to work were all lesbians and they thought it was funny when all the men would hit on them, because they all looked like models and no one suspected they were lesbians. Lol.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
My wife has an undercut hairdo. I've grown to calling it the "shieldmaiden" as you see so many of them wearing it in the Vikings TV show.

The "Can I Speak To A Manager" haircut never fails, though.

the-can-i-speak-to-a-manager-haircut1.jpg

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
My wife has an undercut hairdo. I've grown to calling it the "shieldmaiden" as you see so many of them wearing it in the Vikings TV show.

The "Can I Speak To A Manager" haircut never fails, though.

the-can-i-speak-to-a-manager-haircut1.jpg
LOL. That reminds me of the hairstyle one of my favorite high school teachers had (and still has). Looks kinda like her in the pic, too. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't really understand what you're trying to say. My point was against stereotyping and making assumptions based on how people look. I don't know how any of those people in those pictures I posted sexually identify (death rock and skinhead subcultures have nothing to do with sexual orientation, anyway. I just posted them for comparison since the undercut style reminds me of that).

If they identify as lesbian, most likely their hairdo is an expression of their sexual orientation. From an outsiders view, it sounds stereotypical. My point is, it is only from the outside perspective. I'm suggesting a positive perspective of your OP. It could be based on social fad generation and expression of one's sexual orientation.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If they identify as lesbian, most likely their hairdo is an expression of their sexual orientation. From an outsiders view, it sounds stereotypical. My point is, it is only from the outside perspective. I'm suggesting a positive perspective of your OP. It could be based on social fad generation and expression of one's sexual orientation.
How exactly is your haircut an expression of your sexual orientation??? It's...hair. I mean, I guess I can understand if you're dyeing it in rainbow colors or something, but other than that...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How exactly is your haircut an expression of your sexual orientation??? It's...hair.

Gosh. That's a loaded question. You will have to give me a minute. Sexual orientation is a part of who someone is. It's not just who you are attracted to and/or who you go to bed with. I compared it to transexuals for a couple of reasons, one because you are part of the LGBTQ community and two, why wear women's clothing if transgender is a physical thing not part of who you are by expression? How does your inner gender reflect what you wear?

The answer to that question is almost (I won't say 100 percent) the same as you may hear in the LGBQ community. Though, instead of gender, it's a combination of things-our coming out experiences, our shared stories, what we gone through, who we love, who we crushed over,

how does hairstyle fit?

It's an expression. Like art. If I drew who I am on an art pad, and it just looked like four dots and a circle, who would judge me on that but then question me on how I dress because outsiders feel it means someone is gay when it goes beyond "being gay." It's just more too it than that.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Gosh. That's a loaded question. You will have to give me a minute. Sexual orientation is a part of who someone is. It's not just who you are attracted to and/or who you go to bed with. I compared it to transexuals for a couple of reasons, one because you are part of the LGBTQ community and two, why wear women's clothing if transgender is a physical thing not part of who you are by expression? How does your inner gender reflect what you wear?

The answer to that question is almost (I won't say 100 percent) the same as you may hear in the LGBQ community. Though, instead of gender, it's a combination of things-our coming out experiences, our shared stories, what we gone through, who we love, who we crushed over,

how does hairstyle fit?

It's an expression. Like art. If I drew who I am on an art pad, and it just looked like four dots and a circle, who would judge me on that but then question me on how I dress because outsiders feel it means someone is gay when it goes beyond "being gay." It's just more too it than that.
You're not answering how specific hairstyles declare your sexual orientation, though. That's not the same as wearing gendered clothing.