• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is It To Know Something?

Skwim

Veteran Member
In a post on Bible study in schools Prestor John brought up the issue of knowledge.

"What if I did claim to KNOW that the LDS Church was ordained of God."

His specific assertion aside, it got me thinking: What, exactly, is knowledge? Just what does it mean to "know" something? And how can its veracity as fact, which would seem to be at the core of its meaning, be established?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In a post , on Bible study in schools Prestor John brought up the issue of knowledge.

His specific assertion aside, it got me thinking: What, exactly, is knowledge? Just what does it mean to "know" something? And how can its veracity as fact, which would seem to be at the core of its meaning, be established?

I would say knowledge is temporary at best.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
What, exactly, is knowledge? Just what does it mean to "know" something?

The traditional philosophical position is that knowledge is justified true belief, which doesn't, of course, say anything about how you establish the truth of something. This definition was widely accepted until the mid 1960s when a chap called Gettier came up with a some examples that called the whole idea into question.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The traditional philosophical position is that knowledge is justified true belief, which doesn't, of course, say anything about how you establish the truth of something. This definition was widely accepted until the mid 1960s when a chap called Gettier came up with a some examples that called the whole idea into question.
I learned something today :cool:

I like this example of the problem from that web page with further discussion about how to solve the problem following:

The sheep in the field (Chisholm 1966/1977/1989). Imagine that you are standing outside a field. You see, within it, what looks exactly like a sheep. What belief instantly occurs to you? Among the many that could have done so, it happens to be the belief that there is a sheep in the field. And in fact you are right, because there is a sheep behind the hill in the middle of the field. You cannot see that sheep, though, and you have no direct evidence of its existence. Moreover, what you are seeing is a dog, disguised as a sheep. Hence, you have a well justified true belief that there is a sheep in the field. But is that belief knowledge?

whirlingmerc

In a post , on Bible study in schools Prestor John brought up the issue of knowledge.

I would say depends what you mean by 'ordained' God ordains all things in some ways which includes the real and false gospels. People may discern wrongly the category but revealed by God the elect may discern rightly

In general know is a loaded term and can involve close intimacy and not merely factual knowledge. The demons know things and even believe and tremble.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I would say depends what you mean by 'ordained' God ordains all things in some ways which includes the real and false gospels. People may discern wrongly the category but revealed by God the elect may discern rightly
Please, this is NOT about Prestor John's assertion. Note that I said, "His specific assertion aside . . . ."

In a post on Bible study in schools Prestor John brought up the issue of knowledge.

I think knowledge is in part. We dont know fully or know it all. But we know in pieces. How do we come to know something? Two ways, direct research (not the same as reading a article on google then say 'ok, research accomplished). As one does direct research, they make inferences off mini facts they discover. And experience is the second way we come to know.