• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is it like to be an atheist?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Pretty much the same as anything else. You believe in the things that seem real to you and you don't believe in the things that don't seem real to you. When it comes to god/gods, you probably do know how it feels. Just like atheists you probably don't believe in the vast majority of the deities in which other people profess belief. Atheists simply believe in one less deity than you do. :)

Splarnst

I can only speak of my own experience, but it's been good for me. There's no one out there watching me, for better or for worse. In my own case, it's definitely for better since I never felt God helped me—everything happened exactly the way one would expect following cause and effect—but I was always afraid God would toss me into hell for not following his rules exactly.

I don't so much like being an atheist as much as I do being an apostate.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems pretty darned good to me.
- Sleep in on Sunday
- Can eat pork, beef, shellfish, etc.
- No dogma to study or remember.
- No tithing.
- Darwin, Satan & Dawkins don't scare me.
- Life seems meaningful enuf without any book telling me what the meaning is.
- I can wear immodest loud clothing.
- My discussions with believers are less rancorous than between believers of different faiths.
- Best secret handshake ever.
- We get all the religious holidays.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am just curious because I have never been an atheist before.
Other than the breathing fire and eating babies, we are pretty well ordinary folks.

Seriously though, when you don't have a god to answer to or plead to, it makes you more responsible. You quickly understand that there is no one to blame. It's a very liberating feeling and helps one understand that life is very much what you make it.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Can you imagine watching a beautifully colored butterfly fluttering from flower to flower in your rose garden while you lay watching from a hamock on a cool late summer evening while the sun slowly sets painting a colorful landscape against the clouds. You son then comes out hugs you and tells you he loves you.

Pretty much like that every day.

Banner

doppelgänger;2603372 said:
Pretty much the same as anything else. You believe in the things that seem real to you and you don't believe in the things that don't seem real to you. When it comes to god/gods, you probably do know how it feels. Just like atheists you probably don't believe in the vast majority of the deities in which other people profess belief. Atheists simply believe in one less deity than you do. :)

I was about to post something similar to this....

...then I remembered I'm technically not an atheist. Yikes perhaps I need to reevaluate by position. :facepalm:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I was about to post something similar to this....

...then I remembered I'm technically not an atheist. Yikes perhaps I need to reevaluate by position. :facepalm:
It's fairly debatable if I'm an "atheist" too.
Though I think I can be. Some members disagree.

Sententia

I am just curious because I have never been an atheist before.

It should feel normal and like everyone else. And it usually does. Sometimes it feels repressive... Atheists in the USA try to fight against being repressed and abused but tides go in and tides go out and we can't explain that. :rolleyes:

Awoon

Why does the word "atheist" mean, one doesnt believe there is a God?

Does "amoral" mean one doesnt believe in morals?

Banner

doppelgänger;2603700 said:
It's fairly debatable if I'm an "atheist" too.
Though I think I can be. Some members disagree.

Haha well on the other forum I frequent, the atheists tell me I am one of them so I occasionally identify myself as one depending on who I am talking to... But deep down I think I probably am not one. So yeah... I suppose I like the fence well enough.

To clarify, I usually identify myself as an atheist with theists since I pretty much am one as far as they are concerned. But I call myself agnostic with atheists. And... Tmi... Boring tmi at that lol.

Last edited: