• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is inherently wrong with...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Nothing if people do them from the heart and not just as a rote observance.

Otherwise they're just a waste of time.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ditto, although those that they flail themselves and make themselves bleed leave much to be desired
Yeah, I side eye Catholics and Shia Muslims who whip themselves bloody and torture themselves. I highly doubt that the creator of the human body supports you harming it. At least self-mutilation makes sense in Aztec theology as the gods in that religion were said to have mutilated themselves to create the universe, so they were just giving back what the gods gave. Not so in Abrahamic religions.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, I side eye Catholics and Shia Muslims who whip themselves bloody and torture themselves. I highly doubt that the creator of the human body supports you harming it. At least self-mutilation makes sense in Aztec theology as the gods in that religion were said to have mutilated themselves to create the universe, so they were just giving back what the gods gave. Not so in Abrahamic religions.
Holy masochism.

I could totally get behind that in another context.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If they harm others, e.g.. ripping one's beating heart out, or not,
If you're referring to the Aztec sacrificial ritual of cutting out people's hearts, you should keep in mind that that was mostly done to soldiers captured in war as the Aztecs aimed to capture their foes for sacrifice rather than killing them on the battlefield. So then you have to decide if killing someone immediately in combat is inherently more ethical than killing them later? Either way, they die and gruesomely at that.

ManSinha

Some I think, were driven by the times in part

For example when sitting down to read the Guru Granth - there is a ritual of washing one's hands

Now the way I explained it to myself was this:

In the earliest days - the books were hand copied and as such hand washing made sense to not get the physical book dirty as it was costly to reproduce and perhaps prohibitive and perhaps also a sign of respect to the content

But OTOH - I have found that taking the 30-45 seconds to wash my hands puts me in a contemplative frame of mind gently easing out my "worldly" thoughts and perhaps putting me in a more receptive mood spiritually.

But when I am reciting my daily prayers from the iPad or iPhone app - I sometimes go through with the ritual and some times not

FWIW

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No scientific basis perhaps?

No consistent way to measure the success of a religious ritual.
It depends what you mean by success.

If success is defined as the ritual bringing someone happiness, security, feelings of familiarity or closeness to deity, rituals tend to be very successful.

Last edited:

leov

Ritualistic behavior is a sign of mental disorder (psychosis).
It may be a disorder...
If you're referring to the Aztec sacrificial ritual of cutting out people's hearts, you should keep in mind that that was mostly done to sospecial event, fed a ther than killing them on the battlefield. So then you have to decide if killing someone immediately in combat is inherently more ethical than killing them later? Either way, they die and gruesomely at that.
It does not matter, and not only soldiers but special raids before special events, e.t,c. ;putting victims in fattening pens.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So is British Israelitism, but that's not ritual's only possible function.
QqGW7XTLm4j5.gif

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It depends on what you mean by success.

If success is defined as the ritual bringing someone happiness, security, feelings of familiarity or closeness to deity, rituals tend to be very successful.

Sure but how do you verify that statistically?
Maybe you could come up with a better ritual which either made more folks happy or perhaps provided greater individual happiness. Maybe some rituals create more of the desired feelings. You can define success however you want but you'd need a way of measuring consistent results.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It does not matter, and not only soldiers but special raids before special events, e.t,c. ;putting victims in fattening pens.
I didn't say they killed only soldiers. But to be honest, they weren't any worse towards others than anyone else at that time was.