• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is inaccurate about those non-Lutheran countries?

Talmai

So I was looking at the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network's 2016 World Happiness Report. The top five most happiest countries, with the exception of Switzerland*, are Lutheran countries. These countries are reckoned number one in healthcare, work, education, judicial system, and other great things.

*Geneva is where the Lutheran World Federation happens to be headquartered.

Martin Luther taught in his treatise On the Freedom of a Christian that a Christian cannot be justified by works or efforts in the sight of God therefore a Christian is free to serve his or her neighbour with a good conscience. Has this happy thing led to more happy things in those countries?

The least happiest countries are not Lutheran countries. What is inaccurate or wrong about them? For one they have bad education systems. Right? Please.

Regards.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I read the world's happiest country was Sikkim, A Buddhist kingdom near Nepal.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So I was looking at the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network's 2016 World Happiness Report. The top five most happiest countries, with the exception of Switzerland*, are Lutheran countries. These countries are reckoned number one in healthcare, work, education, judicial system, and other great things.

*Geneva is where the Lutheran World Federation happens to be headquartered.

Martin Luther taught in his treatise On the Freedom of a Christian that a Christian cannot be justified by works or efforts in the sight of God therefore a Christian is free to serve his or her neighbour with a good conscience. Has this happy thing led to more happy things in those countries?

The least happiest countries are not Lutheran countries. What is inaccurate or wrong about them? For one they have bad education systems. Right? Please.

Regards.

I found the list with the rankings: http://worldhappiness.report/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/03/HR-V1_web.pdf (the list is shown in figure 2.2)

I suppose any number of factors could be involved. For one, the countries in the top five are all located in cold-weather climates. They also have relatively small populations.

Talmai

I suppose any number of factors could be involved. For one, the countries in the top five are all located in cold-weather climates. They also have relatively small populations.

Is it really the cold weather or even the relatively small populations as you said? Or is it the happy thing taught by Luther that causes happy things to manifest? I suppose happy breeds happy. Right? Please.
Regards.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it really the cold weather or even the relatively small populations as you said? Or is it the happy thing taught by Luther that causes happy things to manifest? I suppose happy breeds happy. Right? Please.
Regards.

Well, I don't know for certain. I was just thinking out loud, trying to see if there were other factors which might contribute to the level of happiness (or unhappiness) within a country. It could be due to Lutheranism, but I can think of a few predominantly Lutheran countries which probably weren't all that happy about 70-75 years ago. If we're attributing this happiness to Luther and his teachings, then shouldn't we be able to trace a consistent and constant level of happiness back to Martin Luther's time?

Talmai

It could be due to Lutheranism, but I can think of a few predominantly Lutheran countries which probably weren't all that happy about 70-75 years ago. If we're attributing this happiness to Luther and his teachings, then shouldn't we be able to trace a consistent and constant level of happiness back to Martin Luther's time?

For every action there is a reaction. How can an unhappy country be a Lutheran country then? :eyes:

Talmai

In all seriousness, I admit to all my readers in this thread that what I have done here was wrong. I was parodying another user and it was not kind of me to do that. To that user: please forgive me.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For every action there is a reaction. How can an unhappy country be a Lutheran country then? :eyes:

I don't know the answer to that question. Countries can be just like people - we all go through happy and unhappy times. It just so happens that the countries on the list might be the happiest at this particular moment in time - for whatever reason.

I suppose I'd have to read more about the survey and its methodology to be able to figure out how they reached their conclusions. Incidentally, the US came in as the 13th happiest country in the world.