• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is in a name: Why are Christians readily accepting of Judaic theology and not Islamic theology?

Jedster

I would like to begin this thread with the following video:

Thoughts?

I am no expert in the NT, but have read it and remember that Jesus often refers to the Hebrew scriptures.
So, the Christians have to somehow include it.
I am of the opinion that if Jesus had never mentioned the previous scriptures, there would be no mention of it in Christianity.

(When I was a practising Jew, I would regularly pray/meditate on the Temple Mount; there was no problem for me that it is a mosque.)

Christians tend to borrow a lot of things from Jewish text, but not Islamic text. Also there's a lot of bad history between the Christians and Muslims. And Christians tend to not let things go.

For the same reason Jews don't care much for Christian theology.

Supersessionist religions supersede what went before so can take what they like from the earlier faith.

Those who went before tend not to value being told their beliefs have been superseded, or the opinions of those who are telling them

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Thoughts?
I liked the video and he is correct. I also very much liked the response from @Augustus

The problem is that Muslim theologians have never had much impact on non-Muslim scholars in matters of religion due to Islam being a replacement theology that never shrank from criticizing Christianity and Judaism. Like the good Rabbi said, Islam mangled many things that were held dear by the older religions to make Muslims and Islam superior. The laughable idea that an illiterate man 600 years after Christ was bold enough to proclaim, with self-anointed authority, that his version of Jesus was the real version and that Jesus just happened to teach what Muhammad was trying to teach. How convenient is that?

For the first 10 years while he was raving in Mecca he gathered very few followers. One could say that his ideas were just not getting through and the Qur'an was still just dribbles here and there with no real coherence. Eventually some reason people began to buy into what he was selling and my guess is that they were simply afraid that he might be telling the truth and so they hedged their bets and joined his little rag-tag group.

As far as I am aware, Muhammad never did enjoy strong connections with any religious leaders of his day. Nothing survives other than Muslims accounts and so if some took kindly to his thinking we will never know. Then, after his death, the Muslim armies began rampaging outside of the Arabian peninsula and that did not endear them to Christians, as the lands that were conquered were formerly Christian held lands. Is it any wonder that Islamic religious thinking has never had much impact outside the Muslim world?

Last edited:

outlawState

Deism is dead
Christians and Jews share the same Old Testament.
Correct, but they do not share the same theology. The Jews, as with Islam, omit or forget Habakkuk 2:4, "the just shall live by faith." which is the cornerstone of Christian theology (not Greek philosophy). Jews and Muslims practice justification (if at all) by works.

I don't think this Rabbai has much of a clue in saying that Islam believes the Old Testament. Islam has comprehensive abandoned it, as had modern day Judaism which prefers the Talmud and the classical midrash literature.

Also it is a base libel to say that Christians worship the "Trinity." They worship God, of whom the incarnate Jesus was the "son of man", by his own words, and so just a man, but a man from a different place

Last edited:

zenobia

Thoughts?
Thanks for sharing the video....I thought it was interesting that the person who initially asked the Rabbi if he was willing to discuss Allah and God was surprised to learn that Allah means God in Arabic and that both Jews and Muslims worship the same God...the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob!

Another thing the Rabbi went on to say was that 'Christians' worship the trinity and that Arabs = Muslim and are involved in terrorism and violence, which he felt had nothing to do (trinity and terrorism) with the God of the old T. Which in itself is true. But I think the problem starts with the generalisations: Christians worship the trinity, all Arabs are Muslim and all Muslims are terrorists:(

This has also been my experience, that people often assume they know what others believe without actually really knowing. So I appreciate that you at least asked..:)

With that in mind, I hope you don't mind if I speak for myself.
Why are Christians readily accepting of Judaic theology and not Islamic theology?

I am a Christian who does not worship the trinity, but the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
I am of Arab descent, but no one in my family is a follower of Islam or a terrorist..:)

While it's true I am very happy to use the entire Bible to form my beliefs, I don't believe I am accepting Judaic theology.. Because anyone who reads the Bible will know that the nation of Israel did not live up to it's covenant with God as a nation or people and was repeatedly reprimanded by God and the prophets for their independence from God and the Law. That is why Jesus told the Jewish religious leaders in his day that they had made the word of God invalid, because of their tradition (Matthew 13:14,15 & Matthew 15:7-9 -
both of these verses are quoting the Prophet Isaiah).

While I can appreciate some of the elements of Islamic theology, if I do embrace some of these, it is because they reflect Bible principles or teachings of Jesus. (e.g not to worship images, there is only one true God)

The reason why I have embraced (true) Christianity and not Judaic or Islamic theology or the trinity for that matter, Is because I believe that all scripture (as found in the Holy Bible) is inspired of God and gives me everything that I need to be able to worship God in spirit and in truth.(2 Timothy 3:15,16)

Thanks again for respectfully asking such an important question.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Also it is a base libel to say that Christians worship the "Trinity." They worship God, of whom the incarnate Jesus was the "son of man", by his own words, and so just a man, but a man from a different place
I am not a Christian, but neither am I a "Trinity" basher. I think much of the problem is that the concept confuses a lot of people.

While I can appreciate some of the elements of Islamic theology, if I do embrace some of these, it is because they reflect Bible principles or teachings of Jesus
The downside to this is that there is very little overlap between the Jesus you know and love and the Muslim Jesus. They may as well be two completely different people.

Last edited:

outlawState

Deism is dead
I am not a Christian, but neither am I a "Trinity" basher. I think much of the problem is that the concept confuses a lot of people.
It confused the medieval Catholics scolastics too, but they would never admit their confusion to the common man. The matter is that the classical Greek Trinity doctrine (3 persons one substance) is repudiated by both the Old and the New Testament (Deut 6;4, Hebrews 1:1 - God has "one" hypostasis). If you want to know about the errors of the Trinity, I suggest that you read "Errors of the Trinity" by Michael Servetus.

The downside to this is that there is very little overlap between the Jesus you know and love and the Muslim Jesus. They may as well be two completely different people.
You are entirely correct. Islam pays but lip service to Christ, but essentially denies him.

Sakeenah

Probably because the Jews jihad less.

Wow, how original ! Didn't see that one coming at all.

images.jpg

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why are Christians readily accepting of Judaic theology and not Islamic theology?
Thoughts?

My belief = There is 1 religion, the religion of Love. Never you kill because the other believes differently.
[I do not believe in Kefar or infidel being less; just to make it very clear; ALL are chidren of God]
[If you can disprove the below are false verses [or interpret them positive], I will be happy. Because I wish to believe Islam is ONLY peaceful]
[I found them in a 5sec Google search, so I give you advantage of doubt to proof Google+I made mistake ELSE Koran did IMHO ]

1): IMHO. I know little about Koran. BUT knowing these 4 verses does NOT stimulate me [I just can't interpret them positive; and I am very good in that normally]

2): There will never be peace as long as TOP IMAAMS do not declare the below verses WRONG + Delete them from the scriptures

3); Asking the above question only shows to me that you are tricked or try to trick people into believing Koran is peaceful. [Unless 2): is done Islam is NOT]

Koran: 5:51 O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust.
Answers your question

Koran: 8:12-15 Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."
Proofs you have been fooled/tricked [islam = peaceful/tolerant] or a Kefar [not knowing the Koran] or a trickster as described in Koran:9:5(see next verse)]

Koran: 9:5 But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (trick in war for deceiving and outwitting the enemy); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them: for God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
Proofs Islam has no respect for Atheists at all

Hadith 1:13-- "I have been ordered by Allah to fight with people till they bear testimony to the fact that there is no God but Allah."
Proofs Islam has no respect for others unless they convert to Islam [unless "fight" = share peaceful views about God; but this I doubt highly]

any thoughts?
[I believe now the POST is more accurate and give people 2 views, plus correct INFO to make a good decision]

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You are entirely correct. Islam pays but lip service to Christ, but essentially denies him.
Exactly: more specifically they deny the concepts expressed in the first chapter of John, that is:
- God is Logos
- The Logos became flesh
- Jesus is God