• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is humanism?

Master Vigil

Belief that humans can better the world by simply human means. Reason, logic, science, etc... There is no need for god. Alot also believe that humans are the greatest beings on the planet.

Saw11_2000

Master Vigil said:
Belief that humans can better the world by simply human means. Reason, logic, science, etc... There is no need for god. Alot also believe that humans are the greatest beings on the planet.
Pretty much MasterVigil. :)
I do believe huans are the greatest beings on the planet, however I do not believe they are more important then everything else combined. They are the most influential, I think.

Saw11_2000

Are you thinking of converting to Secular Humanist md_88 (isn't that a plane?) or are you just curious to know about it.

Athosxc

Master Vigil - I thought your signature quote about the bible, wind, and rain, was rather interesting. My question to you is this: How do you explain that after 2000 years the message of the bible has remained unchanged, no matter how many bibles have been burned, or decayed??? Just a curious forum reader.

Master Vigil

It does change, it changes with every single person who reads it. You do not get from the bible, what the early christians got out of it. And I would also say that for as long as there has been weather (Since the beginning of the earth), the wind and rain has changed MUCH less than your bible has.

Master Vigil

Do you believe if we burned all of the bibles, and erased everyones memory dealing with it. You still think it would exist? But can we get rid of the wind and rain?

MatCauthorn

I take issue with the suggestion that humanists think that humans are the greatest beings on the planet, in the sense that that gives the impression that humanists don't care about the fate of animals, for instance. Humanists as a group have great concern for the environment, and the interaction among species, even if only because it is natural processes which sustain life on earth.

For a more broad definition, a few starting points can be taken from here: http://www.secularhumanism.org/intro/what.html:

---
Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty years to describe a world view with the following elements and principles:

• A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
  • Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
  • A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
  • A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
  • A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
  • A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
  • A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.
---

But, it is somewhat difficult to define humanism since it has no Pope-figure, or anyone who is determined by its believers to be in charge (like a priest or a chaplain) so there is nobody who is in a position to say what is and what is not humanistic. Many people refer to works by famous humanists for this purpose - Robert Green Ingersoll, Bertrand Russel, Paul Kurtz, etc.

-- Mat

Athosxc

Master Vigil, no I will give you that. The wind and rain haven't changed....well, the rain is a little more acidic over many parts of the world where pollution has done its thing, but rain is still drops of water. However, from a scholarly standpoint, the bible hasn't changed, and doesn't change due to someone's interpretation from reading it. The message of the bible has never changed, and neither has most of the text. Why is this? Because the original texts used to write the first bible are still used to write today's bible. There were earlier texts found that supported the ones that were already available. No change in the message. What has changed are the interpretations of a few words throughout the entire bible. But even with those words tranlated differently, the message of the bible was unaltered. This is proven from glass-encased historical documents that can still be looked at and studied today, not just my humble opinion. Just because I read the bible, doesn't make the bible change. This is supported through the very scriptures in question. "The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the words of our God will stand forever" Isaiah 40:8, and repeated in the NT in 1Peter 1:24-25. "that word is the good news that has been preached to you" 1Peter 1:26. Now this is just one example, I know, but the point is still made. The bible is consistent, it stands time, and the message has never changed. That message is the good news of Jesus Christ.

A

angellous_evangellous

I've been needing secular humanists to step forward on issues regarding ethics and human dignity. I haven't seen any yet. One wonders if secular humanism is still widely held...

*while thoughtfully strumming his guitar*

Angellous sings passionately:

"Where have all the secular humanists gone-
So many people in RF consider animals on the same level as humanity
This is implications in ethics that folks don't want to apply
OK the lyrics don't rhyme but that's not the point
Can't we tell the difference between humans and pigs and apes
Oh my, Oh well, Ah hell,
If you're a secular humanist please send me a PM so I can call upon you
To defend your views with me on human dignity!"

Athosxc

Back to the thread here....wow, I really enjoy running the rabbit trails though. If we're talking about the intrinsic value of human life, then I'm a humanist. If we're talking about the belief that humans are the highest forms of anything in the universe, I'm not a humanist. If we're all about the happiness of the individual above reason or concern for others. I'm not a humanist. Let's define some terms here. What form of humanism are we beings asked to talk about?

Saw11_2000

If you're Christian you're not secular humanist. They have a theistic branch of humanism though, not sure what it's called.

Saw11_2000

What definition are you dealing with from me?

Basically I'm just an atheist with some people need to get along and stick together crap.

I also believe that humans are the most superior beings on this Earth. We have the most technology, intelligence, language, anything really. I honestly believe that we are superior to absolutely any animal living right now. Not to say we aren't dependent on their presence. If plants weren't here, we would all die.

A

angellous_evangellous

Athosxc said:
Back to the thread here....wow, I really enjoy running the rabbit trails though. If we're talking about the intrinsic value of human life, then I'm a humanist. If we're talking about the belief that humans are the highest forms of anything in the universe, I'm not a humanist. If we're all about the happiness of the individual above reason or concern for others. I'm not a humanist. Let's define some terms here. What form of humanism are we beings asked to talk about?
I consider myself pretty much a full-blown humanist but without the radical optimism of secular humanism. I think that the definition of humanism was made resoundingly clear by MatCauthorn on post #9.

I am sympathetic, however to humanism. As far as we can know by means of science and philosophy, humanity is the best stinking thing in the cosmos. If there is anything better than humanity out there, which is likely considering that the universe is so freaking huge, then we don't know about it yet, and we may yet be a formitable foe to whatever is yet unknown, but there is no way to know. Anyway, if there is anything greater than humanity, we don't know about it, and we do know that nothing compares to us on earth. Of course, if the divine exists, then the divine is greater, but there is no way to know of the divine unless on accepts divine revelation, which for many of us will be a stretch.

So if we can accept divine revelation, we can believe that there is a God. If not, we should at least be able to come to the conclusion that humans are special and worthy of respect.

Saw11_2000

Humans are special...very very special. :)

And if an alien decided to come down and destroy humans, I would say NUKE THEM!

A

angellous_evangellous

Saw11_2000 said:
Humans are special...very very special. :)

And if an alien decided to come down and destroy humans, I would say NUKE THEM!
Or just squirt water on them like the movie Signs. No need to overdo it.:cool: