• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Hellenism?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I did not know that about Zeus! I did about Thor, which is why I have an Oak rune staff that I carved. Just got to blood a few of the sigils last night as well, due to cutting my thumb during an art project lol

The oak tree grove at Dodona was Zeus's oracle. The priests interpreted the rustling of the leaves.

Gods! I'm sarmt... smtr... smrt... smart. :D

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The only thing that compares Thor to Zeus is that he is the God of Thunder. Thor is the son of Odin, Chieftain of the Æsir. He is red bearded, hot-tempered, yet the defender of Miðgarð - this world and reality.
Please mention the attributes of Thor and Zeus and of Odin.
Anybody , please
Regards

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Please mention the attributes of Thor and Zeus and of Odin.
Anybody , please
Regards

Honestly, it really is better for you to research this stuff yourself or experience it directly. Paganisms aren't dogmatic religions where there's some canonical attributes of the gods that everyone has to accept. We can study what our ancestors thought, based on what limited evidence we have available, but contemporary Pagans don't necessarily limit themselves to that given directly experiencing the gods is often a big part of our paths. I don't have much for you in the way of research resources for Germanic traditions, but this place is a really great resource for Hellenic mythos. Best thing about it is that it's supported with known historical documentation, and it is also quite thorough compared to other online resources you might come across. Maybe someone else can point to a similar site for Germanic traditions.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Honestly, it really is better for you to research this stuff yourself or experience it directly. Paganisms aren't dogmatic religions where there's some canonical attributes of the gods that everyone has to accept. We can study what our ancestors thought, based on what limited evidence we have available, but contemporary Pagans don't necessarily limit themselves to that given directly experiencing the gods is often a big part of our paths. I don't have much for you in the way of research resources for Germanic traditions, but this place is a really great resource for Hellenic mythos. Best thing about it is that it's supported with known historical documentation, and it is also quite thorough compared to other online resources you might come across. Maybe someone else can point to a similar site for Germanic traditions.
I prefer to directly discuss with a person who believes in God, whatever the name of the god. Please
Regards

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hellenic polytheism or Hellenic culture and the study of it.
Whoa. Here I thought it was the veneration of this admirable human animal

1CD7478B00000578-3180531-image-a-84_1438288256668.jpg

Dame Hellen Mirren

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Paganisms aren't dogmatic religions where there's some canonical attributes of the gods that everyone has to accept.

I somewhat disagree. While Unverified Personal Gnosis (UPG) is a significant part of various Pagan branches, it isn't the entirety of the experience, and it isn't verified: Verified against what? The lore, and what we know of the gods that we're worshiping. One might call Jord "Yavanna", but that doesn't change the fact that Jord is the name given to the Goddess that presides over and embodies the Earth. (Though this isn't to say that gods such as Zeus and Thor are necessarily the same figure. Even Greek and Roman "counterparts" differ in their own respect)

So if someone comes in with a UPG that Freyja made a thunderstorm, we know that they're bluffing and making stuff up; she has no dominion over the thunderstorm, Thor does. She handles lust, magic, and leads the Valkyries into battle. Likewise one would be incorrect (or dishonest, depending on how far they push it) to claim that Hela leads the Valkyries.

It's this kind of "anything goes" that leads to a bunch of Pagans where I live literally claiming to seek death with their "battle call", rather than rallying to a goddess' war summon.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
@The Ragin Pagan,

To clarify, by "dogma" I specifically mean "a principle or set of principles laid down as incontrovertibly true by an authority." As far as I've been aware, Paganisms lack the sort of authoritarian structures that make dogmas possible and are quite averse to notions such as "incontrovertible truth." That, and the response was made with the person I was responding to in mind.

von bek

Theoi.com is easily one of my favorite sites. Pages and pages of quality info on each deity.

von bek

I prefer to directly discuss with a person who believes in God, whatever the name of the god. Please
Regards

I understand you feel you learn best when engaged with another person. However, the link he shared with you is a quality site. You will learn much from it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I understand you feel you learn best when engaged with another person. However, the link he shared with you is a quality site. You will learn much from it.
I have noted it.
Was Socrates a Hellenist? Please
He is said to have a divine mission. Which divine God he believed in who gave Socrates a mission? Please
Anybody, please
Regards

von bek

I have noted it.
Was Socrates a Hellenist? Please

Technically, given the definitions provided to you, yes. However, I actually feel the term is anachronistic when applied back to Socrates' time. I believe the term Hellenism, as referring to a religious identity, should only be used in a modern, Pagan context. Others here may disagree with me, though.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Technically, given the definitions provided to you, yes. However, I actually feel the term is anachronistic when applied back to Socrates' time. I believe the term Hellenism, as referring to a religious identity, should only be used in a modern, Pagan context. Others here may disagree with me, though.
Did Socrates deny that he did not belong to Hellenism? or He said that he belong to Hellenism.
He did believe in God, as he is said to have a divine mission. Right? Please
Anybody, please
Regards

von bek

Did Socrates deny that he did not belong to Hellenism? or He said that he belong to Hellenism.

I do not think Socrates would be familiar with the word Hellenism. It is not a term that would have been used as a religious identity in his time. That is why I said it is anachronistic in this context.

Hellenism is used in modern parlance to denote pagans who primarily or only worship the gods and goddesses of Greek/Hellenic tradition. This does not mean we deny the gods of others, only that we relate or are most comfortable with the deities in this cultural tradition.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I do not think Socrates would be familiar with the word Hellenism. It is not a term that would have been used as a religious identity in his time. That is why I said it is anachronistic in this context.

Hellenism is used in modern parlance to denote pagans who primarily or only worship the gods and goddesses of Greek/Hellenic tradition. This does not mean we deny the gods of others, only that we relate or are most comfortable with the deities in this cultural tradition.

Origin
: The diversity of Pagan traditions includes myths, histories, and lore from a wide variety of pre-Christian sources, including northern Europeans as well as those of ancient Mediterranean communities.
Pagan Origins, Pagan History, Pagan Beliefs
The Mediterranean Sea is a sea connected to the Atlantic Ocean, surrounded by the Mediterranean Basin and almost completely enclosed by land: on the north by Southern Europe and Anatolia, on the south by North Africa, and on the east by the Levant. Wikipedia
Levant:
A region on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea north of the Arabian Peninsula and south of Turkey, usuallyincluding the area of Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, and Syria.
Levant

Not necessarily restricted to Europe. Right? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Paganism is any indigenous religion, that has just grown in a community rather than being founded like Christianity or Islam. I ought to add that this is an academic definition. Many people, particularly in the USA, say "pagan" when they ought to say "neopagan". Neopaganism is any religion of modern origin (like Wicca or Pagan Druidry) which aims to be compatible with traditional paganism.

Pagan religion doesn't have creeds or denominations. Pagans in different areas may worship different gods, but they don't deny the existence of each other's gods. A Christian could not worship in a mosque as they could not make the Muslim profession of faith, but as a Hellenic pagan I could worship with Chinese, Japanese, Indian, or African pagans with no problem at all. Our worship is also similar. The evening ritual I'll shortly be carrying out would not look odd to any Chinese or Indian. The offerings of fire, incense, food, drink, and prayer is much the same for all of us, and our altars have similar items, including images of our gods. My practices are also based on those of my ancient Greek predecessors. I keep many of the same festivals and sing some of the same hymns.

To see what Hellenic Polytheism looks like in Greece today
LABRYS : Hellenic Polytheistic community

For a thread in which I discuss my beliefs
Why be a Hellenic Pagan?

As a reconstructionist, I'm not a slave to a lifestyle: this is a religion, not a historical re-enactment society. The real slaves to lifestyle are Christians, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, etc. "Don't eat pork, don't shave, do shave, cover your head, etc, etc."
So,Paganism does not denote any revealed religion.
Socrates was a Hellenist and he believed in a divine. In this sense he was not a Pagan. Right? Please
Regards

von bek

So,Paganism does not denote any revealed religion.
Socrates was a Hellenist and he believed in a divine. In this sense he was not a Pagan. Right? Please
Regards

Socrates would be a pagan. Are you saying pagans don't believe in the divine? We do.