• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is hell?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I meant that for an atheist that thinks death is truly perishing, where the body is fully destroyed (in time, eventually) -- extinction of life and consciousness -- a final end.

In that, the atheist view of death is just like what the common bible describes, in final outcome, the end state.

I see.

The first law if thermodynamics dictates what happens to the body, it (or rather its component atoms) can never be destroyed but continually reused. In that way we are all made of dead people.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I see.

The first law if thermodynamics dictates what happens to the body, it (or rather its component atoms) can never be destroyed but continually reused. In that way we are all made of dead people.
There's no agree button on this site, so I just clicked 'like'.

It's a lot of fun to realize we are made of the stuff of stellar explosions and such. :)

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
New In an other thread i discussed what hell is, and gave an answer, but after some reflection i think my answer was incorrect.

^^Humility^^
Good for you!

Do you know that, in Genesis 37:35, Jacob said he was 'going to hell' when he died?
According to the Douay-Rheims version..."And all his children being gathered together to comfort their father in his sorrow, he would not receive comfort, but said: I will go down to my son into hell, mourning. And whilst he continued weeping....."

Genesis 37:35 All his sons and daughters tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. "No," he said. "I will go down to Sheol mourning for my son." So his father wept for him.

Jacob indicated that he thought Joseph was already there.

It's no place of torment!

From what I've been taught, and it seems to agree with all other Biblical texts, everyone going to hell, aka sheol, aka hades, will be resurrected.

Take care, my cousin!