• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Hell?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So the bible agrees with itself, do you not see the obvious flaw in that statement?

What flaw is there in that the dead are in a sleep-like state as mentioned at John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17 Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Ecclesiastes 9:5,10.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
hell is a self created place in the soul when one chooses to be evil

People don't choose to be evil. They discover certain destructive impulses in themselves, some of which they can control more than not, some of which they indulge earlier in like but which wane with time, and some that control them if the impulse is too intense and/or persistent for the defenses to fence in.

no care, no love, no worth, no trust, no desire of friendship for them. their gains are all loss. they have no light and no joy, and certainly no peace in them. and life is no better for them despite all they seem to have

What reason is there to believe that?

Incidentally, I'm told the same thing about my present life, which is also one of separation from this god. I'm told that I have no reason not to kill and steal except possibly the consequences if caught, that there is no reason to feel purpose in life, that there is no meaning to a life that will end and eventually be forgotten, and that I am missing out on being filled by the Spirit - in other words, an empty life because of its godlessness.

But it sure feels like a good life, and I would be content living it in a godless afterlife as well.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I find the apocryphal books simply eliminate themselves being out of harmony with the harmonious ' 66 '.
The ancient manuscripts are the oldest. So, No original Bibles, but the internal harmony in the ' 66' shows what is Not lost. The cross-reference corresponding verses and passages show even Jesus' recorded words used, thus Jesus could preface his statements with the words, " it is written...." meaning already written down in the old Hebrew Scriptures.
Since what was in the past came to pass, then the ' final signal ', so to speak, which is ahead of us is when ' they ' ( powers that be ) are saying," Peace and Security " according to 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 is going to prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among people of goodwill.
Mankind has had thousands of years to establish peace and man's history shows man can't bring peace to Earth.
So, since man can't establish real peace, there will be divine involvement into mankind's affairs through Jesus.
That is why we are all invited to pray for Jesus to come as mentioned at Revelation 22:20 for Peace on Earth.

If circular thinking is and interpretation to suit your sensibilities is how you justify your faith to yourself that's just fine.

ChristineM

Premium Member
What flaw is there in that the dead are in a sleep-like state as mentioned at John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17 Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Ecclesiastes 9:5,10.

The dead are dead. I really do think I'll take the word of thousands of years of human, medical and scientific experience rather than a single god book based on bronze age mythology.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To me the Jewish Scriptures teach 'sleep in death' such as at Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Ecclesiastes 9:5.
To me the Christian Scriptures teach 'sleep in death' just as Jesus taught 'sleep in death' at John 11:11-14.
So, that academic understanding is Not mangled or poorly translated but in agreement the dead sleep in death.
KJV simply translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire, what is lacking is clergy Not teaching that hellfire is from the word Gehenna, and that Gehenna was simply a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed and Not kept burning forever. False clergy teachings is what is mangled and wrong about a forever burning hellfire.

You're just supporting the choice to disregard it all.

What value is the Bible if everybody who reads it comes up with a different theology?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hell is eternal separation from God. And for the atheist or the unrepentant sinner, those that don't give a hoot about God in their lifetime, they will probably welcome that.

Why wouldn't we? Godlessness has worked well thus far.

But the best way to think about Heaven with God and Jesus is that they promise that there will be no pain or tears ever again.

These promises are made by men allegedly speaking for a god, and are promises that don't need to be kept, and when broken, aren't reported by the dead.

On the other end of this spectrum, those that go to eternal damnation will get zero relief of the ailments of this life. If you are blind, lame, cripple or bed-ridden, you will be that way throughout eternity also.

I missed that scripture.

This sure seems like you improvising like the writers of the Bible

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If circular thinking is and interpretation to suit your sensibilities is how you justify your faith to yourself that's just fine.

I think I need to more than whisper to my cold-brew coffee to be strong.
To me, by Jesus prefacing his statements with parallel references to the old Hebrew Scriptures is Not circular thinking.
To me, Jesus ' justified his faith ' by his logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Why so? Hell is a nature but the devil is more of a title than Hate, or no-love is its nature.

I find biblical hell is Not a nature, but simply man's temporary grave until resurrected out of biblical hell.
I can agree that the devil is more of a title.......More of a title because Satan the Devil is Not a personal name.
Satan the Devil has No love in his nature. Satan does Not care if we live or die just so we serve his interests.
Satan was never in hell, but the day righteous Jesus' died that day Jesus went to biblical hell, the grave, according to Acts of the Apostles 2:27

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
They describe different gods with with different personalities, covenants, and commandments.

Yes, the Bible says there are many gods. The temporary Constitution of the Mosaic Law was only for one ancient nation and that was only ancient Israel. That constitution was temporary leading up to Messiah coming.
That is why the 1st-century people mentioned at Luke 3:15 were at that time in ' expectation ' of Messiah coming.
So, I find putting the whole Bible together leads up to our day or time frame.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You're just supporting the choice to disregard it all.
What value is the Bible if everybody who reads it comes up with a different theology?

Disregard all in what way. The value of coming up with different theology proves the Bible true.
Jesus exposed the false religious leaders of his day according to Matthew 15:9 and Matthew chapter 23.
Jesus gave us a clue between the genuine ' wheat ' Christians and the fake 'weed/tares' Christians in that by their fruits, their behavior, they could be recognized according to Matthew chapter 7.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I think I need to more than whisper to my cold-brew coffee to be strong.
To me, by Jesus prefacing his statements with parallel references to the old Hebrew Scriptures is Not circular thinking.
To me, Jesus ' justified his faith ' by his logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures.

Cold brew? Usually piping hot espresso macchiato or noisette. The significance is probably lost on you. If i want a cold drink it would be iced water with ice, less than 3C (that's about 37 in your money) is how i like it.

I will have to repeat, Jesus did not say/justify/preface anything. All you have is third hand/after the fact stories to base your faith on.

How you interpret your god book is up to you, but unless you discuss what is actually written then you must remember, its only make believe

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Cold brew? Usually piping hot espresso macchiato or noisette. The significance is probably lost on you. If i want a cold drink it would be iced water with ice, less than 3C (that's about 37 in your money) is how i like it.
I will have to repeat, Jesus did not say/justify/preface anything. All you have is third hand/after the fact stories to base your faith on.
How you interpret your god book is up to you, but unless you discuss what is actually written then you must remember, its only make believe

Hot espresso yes, but don't care that much for the macchiato, but un-iced 'cold brew' suit me (stronger that way).
I hear the ' cold brew ' can now be made at home.

Now to me the Bible is actually written down and does Not change.
Over the many centuries many enemies from within and without have tried to get rid of the Bible and they can't.
Jesus' recorded words are discussing what was actually written down in the old Hebrew Scriptures.
The soon coming ' time of separation ' as mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37 is Not make believe because whatever else of Jesus' recorded words have come to pass, so to me, there is No reason to doubt we will see the coming paradisical earth as promised at Revelation 22:2 that there will be healing for earth's nations.