• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Hell?

Hell is Eternal Darkness, Fire And Punishment

Jesus Christ gave a few literal statements about Hell being a place of fire: "The Son of man will send his angels and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and law-breakers, and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:41-42 "So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous, and will throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:49-50

Jesus also gave a few literal statements about Hell being eternal and a punishment. The same word in the Greek language in which the New Testament was originally written was used in these passages. The word means eternal, everlasting, without end, never to cease. "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." Matthew 25:41 "And these will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous eternal life." Matthew 25:46

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
On reading your post to begin looked up the verses by Yeshua, to see if the fire references were right... They do indeed say eternal flame; yet they don't mention Hell.
See even in this line you've contradicted yourself, Hell is either an eternal darkness or on fire, we can't have both.

With my own NDE, Hell, Sheol, Hades is a dark shadowy underworld, i didn't see any fire...

Now it is claimed in some theologies, like in the Greek, that below Hades is a place called Tartarus, which is where angels and Gods are to be imprisoned, which is said to be on fire.

Revelation 20:14 Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Hell its self is to be cast into the lake of fire, and thus removed from reality, thus it isn't eternal.

When Yeshua says about being in danger of the Hell Fire (Matthew 5:22), the word there is Gehenna, which was a physical garbage dump below Jerusalem, that was set ablaze.... So in many instances he is referring to here being like the top floor of Hell.

Isaiah 66:24 “They will go out, and look at the dead bodies of the men who have transgressed against me; for their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

Thus what Yeshua is discussing in Mark 9:42-50, is this whole world is to be set ablaze, when the Heavens come here, Hell and wickedness is burnt away at its presence.

Hell from my own understanding, is the lowest dimension in our quantum reality, it is the dense fabric of matter, it is the souls who don't know Oneness....

Here is a mixture of light (soul) and darkness (matter/Hell), and thus as such we're on the top floor of Hell. :innocent:
[GALLERY=media, 7191][/GALLERY]

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm Baha'i and I believe hell is an undesirable spiritual state metaphorically likened to fire etc

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If our soul leaves the body at the time of death, and our soul is just a wisp of energy, how could fire hurt it anyway? We would have no nerve endings or brain to register pain either.

How can there be any "gnashing of teeth" where no one has any teeth? Why would a wisp of energy need teeth?

Also, I've heard many people with near death experiences claim to see a "bright light" that they're heading towards. The nearest "bright light" might be the Sun, but the Sun is also on fire.

So, if the evil souls go to a fiery place called "Hell," and the good souls go to a fiery place called "Heaven," then is there any real difference between the two places? Maybe they're actually both the same place. It may only seem different depending on the individual soul. If the goal is to be "one with God," then "one" might have to give up one's individuality and identity, merging one's soul with everyone else.

But then, there might be those who can't bear to do that, whose identity and individual egos are/were so important to them in life that they just can't bear to give it up. Those who lived their lives believing that they're better than everyone else may find it demeaning to be considered "equal" with those they considered lesser in life, so if they choose to retain their individuality in a place where their energy is designed to merge with everyone else - it might actually seem like a pretty hellish existence.

janeebananee

Love is never wrong. But it IS a choice.
Hell is a state of mind wherein darkness prevails and misery thrives and we're lost in dwelling on negative thought.
But not to worry. No one's going to Hell. There IS no such place, actually.
Besides, what would be the point of eternal punishment? It makes no sense whatsoever, and what is true of God always makes perfect sense.
It's blasphemous to contend God would subject us to eternal punishment.
Who would have a God like that as their God? Who would worship such a God, worthy only of contempt?
Why Hell-be-damned, we'd ALL be atheists if THAT God was God!

cataway

Hell is a state of mind wherein darkness prevails and misery thrives and we're lost in dwelling on negative thought.
But not to worry. No one's going to Hell. There IS no such place, actually.
Besides, what would be the point of eternal punishment? It makes no sense whatsoever, and what is true of God always makes perfect sense.
It's blasphemous to contend God would subject us to eternal punishment.
Who would have a God like that as their God? Who would worship such a God, worthy only of contempt?
Why Hell-be-damned, we'd ALL be atheists if THAT God was God!
every one is going to the grave (hell) kinda hard to avoid

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This concept of hell makes sense. If the point of punishment was not to rehabilitate, what else would it be other than sadistic gratification?
No it isn't! She had a choice. She could have just done what she was told but she didn't. So she deserved to go to hell. It was her choice. So obviously she must like it. I mean, if she hadn't have behaved the way she did then it wouldn't have happened, right?

#victimblaming #herchoice

cirillo

Premium Member

Jesus Christ gave a few literal statements about Hell being a place of fire: "The Son of man will send his angels and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and law-breakers, and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:41-42 "So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous, and will throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:49-50

Jesus also gave a few literal statements about Hell being eternal and a punishment. The same word in the Greek language in which the New Testament was originally written was used in these passages. The word means eternal, everlasting, without end, never to cease. "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." Matthew 25:41 "And these will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous eternal life." Matthew 25:46
Hell is just the common grave.the dead cannot suffer

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No it isn't! She had a choice. She could have just done what she was told but she didn't. So she deserved to go to hell. It was her choice. So obviously she must like it. I mean, if she hadn't have behaved the way she did then it wouldn't have happened, right?

#victimblaming #herchoice

I would imagine that the most intelligent being in the universe would also be the most understanding. The problem is that people conflate the notion of god with their own ego.

cirillo

Premium Member

cirillo

Premium Member
Hell

Definition: The word “hell” is found in many Bible translations. In the same verses other translations read “the grave,” “the world of the dead,” and so forth. Other Bibles simply transliterate the original-language words that are sometimes rendered “hell”; that is, they express them with the letters of our alphabet but leave the words untranslated. What are those words? The Hebrew she’ohlʹ and its Greek equivalent haiʹdes, which refer, not to an individual burial place, but to the common grave of dead mankind; also the Greek geʹen·na, which is used as a symbol of eternal destruction. However, both in Christendom and in many non-Christian religions it is taught that hell is a place inhabited by demons and where the wicked, after death, are punished (and some believe that this is with torment).

loopus

Loopy
It's My Birthday!
This concept of hell makes sense. If the point of punishment was not to rehabilitate, what else would it be other than sadistic gratification?
In Medieval Christianity, the point of Hell was "sadistic gratification" - one of the "perks" of being in Heaven was looking down at all the people being tortured in Hell. It was supposed to be entertainment, I guess. I understand that this idea survives in Islam.