• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is hell really like?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I'd love to hear what you think. :)

Of course, there's what the Bible says, but how many of us really go by that anyway? :p

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Hell is simply the grave. A place to wait for the resurrection.
I have never heard of that perception before. Thank you for sharing it.

Do you reckon the soul/spirit waits in the grave with the body until the second coming?

RND

Seventh-day Adventist
I have never heard of that perception before. Thank you for sharing it.

Do you reckon the soul/spirit waits in the grave with the body until the second coming?

Well, I don't believe that man has a separate "spirit" that lives inside his soul. That would mean man is "dualistic" which has it's roots in pagan religions. I think the Bible is fairly clear that man doesn't "have" a soul but rather man is a "living soul" (Genesis 2:7).

So at death that "soul" dies (Ezekiel 18:4, 20) and waits in the grave until it is resurrected (Job 14:10-15).

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Wow, that's weird, I was just thinking about you yesterday. You came to mind very strongly and I was wondering how you were doing and wow here you are posting a new thread after being away for so long. Good to see you around.

Welcome back!! :eek:

Also I noticed you have an avatar of Mary and Jesus. :eek:
lol yus. I was banned, but I've been allowed to return. :)

The avatar has more to do with remembering my roots than actually loving the icon... though it is BEAUTIFUL iconography.

There is no color in hell and very little light, everything is in grey scale. No yellow flames, just grey flames, everything is grey, dreary, haunting, scarey, etc. Most of the world will spend time in hell paying for their own sins, Hell is a refiners fire. it's an extremely painful purifying process, more painful than we can imagine. It's better that we try and purify our lives now so we can avoid hell or any suffering in the next life.

Hell is a place of lonliness, torment, suffering, sorrow and regret for sins committed in this life, the opposite of everything that is good and which makes us happy in this life and those things which will make us happy in the next life. There is no happiness in hell only sorrow and regret for sins committed.
I thought mormon heaven included most people, and that no one is going to hell. That's what a lot of mormons say on RF. The highest level of heaven was reserved for the mormons.

Am I wrong on this one? Where does this concept of sin come from? Do different sins get different punishment? How could people be lonely if there are so many in hell together?

And what if someone has no regrets, even as they burn in hellfire? It's possible...

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Well, I don't believe that man has a separate "spirit" that lives inside his soul. That would mean man is "dualistic" which has it's roots in pagan religions. I think the Bible is fairly clear that man doesn't "have" a soul but rather man is a "living soul" (Genesis 2:7).

So at death that "soul" dies (Ezekiel 18:4, 20) and waits in the grave until it is resurrected (Job 14:10-15).
I have one more question that just sprang to mind. Earlier you said that hell is nothing but being in the grave. So do all experience hell, even if they are the right type of Christian? Is it that only the true types of Christians are going to be resurrected?

Hell - Wikipedia :D

if you compair
greek:
It is either a deep, gloomy place, a pit or abyss used as a dungeon of torment and suffering that resides within Hades
amaricas
There was also a legend of a place of white flowers, which was always dark, and was home to the gods of death
cristianity
Hell described as being a great lake of fire, where the damned are burned and tortured eternally.
islam
Hell is often portrayed as a hot steaming and tormenting place for sinners, /Zamhareer is seen as the coldest and the most freezing Hell of all
bah li
describe Hell as a "spiritual condition" where remoteness from God is defined as Hell
buddhism
Buddhism teaches that there are five (sometimes six) realms of rebirth, which can then be further subdivided into degrees of agony or pleasure (but eventualy everyone gets out)
hinduism
These punishments include dipping in boiling oil, burning in fire, torture using various weapons, etc. in various Hells (after the punishments they are reborn)
chinese beliefs
complicated
Zoroastrianism
annihilation, purgation in molten metal, and eternal punishment, and specific punishments (remain in hell untill saviors arive)
athiesm
no hell after death nothing

as you see most are place's where sins are judged and sentanced

RND

Seventh-day Adventist
I have one more question that just sprang to mind. Earlier you said that hell is nothing but being in the grave. So do all experience hell, even if they are the right type of Christian?

My belief is that is exactly what the Bible teaches. Sin leads to death, all sin so hence all die.

Is it that only the true types of Christians are going to be resurrected?

Not in my mind. I believe that there will be many who are resurrected on that day that Jesus Christ returns that actually had no idea who Jesus Christ was but in some way responded to the calling of the Holy Spirit in their life. They "knew" Christ, and responded to Him through the amount of light they were given.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hell and Heaven are basically the same in design except that at death all the inconsiderate jerks go to one and all the considerate people go to the other.

That's why one's hell and the other one's heaven. :D

logician

Hell as a place of eternal suffering does not exist, the same a heaven as a place of eternal bliss. Both have limited biblical support, and were greatly embellished by the Christian church to use the carrot/stick method of gaining believers.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Hell and Heaven are basically the same in design except that at death all the inconsiderate jerks go to one and all the considerate people go to the other.

That's why one's hell and the other one's heaven. :D
So you actually believe in hell? It's just some place where formerly inconsiderate people go when they die? That isn't too descriptive. :p Try again?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Hell as a place of eternal suffering does not exist, the same a heaven as a place of eternal bliss. Both have limited biblical support, and were greatly embellished by the Christian church to use the carrot/stick method of gaining believers.
That shows just how little you know about religion :) nice try....

Troublemane

Hell is, IMO, not a place but a spiritual state of the soul. You can 'dwell' there in life just as easily as in death. However, in death, one cannot change the state of one's soul...thats where the various religions start hedging their bets, drawing lines between them, etc. But in life, I believe we are more able to alter our spiritual state, but only at great effort, and only through allowing oneself to be open to the suffering of others.

Oddly enough, it may be that shutting oneself off and dwelling only on one's own suffering (internal misery) is what creates a sense of hellishness. I believe that opening to others' suffering is the beginning of compassion, which allows one to relinquish the hold over one's own private hell, and by doing so that private hell also relinquishes its hold on you.

Just my opinion. :angel2:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Hell is, IMO, not a place but a spiritual state of the soul. You can 'dwell' there in life just as easily as in death. However, in death, one cannot change the state of one's soul...thats where the various religions start hedging their bets, drawing lines between them, etc. But in life, I believe we are more able to alter our spiritual state, but only at great effort, and only through allowing oneself to be open to the suffering of others.

Oddly enough, it may be that shutting oneself off and dwelling only on one's own suffering (internal misery) is what creates a sense of hellishness. I believe that opening to others' suffering is the beginning of compassion, which allows one to relinquish the hold over one's own private hell, and by doing so that private hell also relinquishes its hold on you.

Just my opinion. :angel2:
Very Buddhist :) I like it.

But is suffering and compassion all there is to life? My bet is no. Really, the gate to hell is determined by more than that in many religious traditions. What do you reckon happens when we die?

I hate that question myself. All Christians ask me that. *sigh* I don't really understand what that has to do with anything about the validity of a book... but hey, all's fair in conversion and opinion. ;)

You don't have to answer if you don't want to... but the question is there anyway.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to believe it is God's love, same as heaven...

How we react to God's infinte love determines whether we experience bliss or torment...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So you actually believe in hell? It's just some place where formerly inconsiderate people go when they die? That isn't too descriptive. :p Try again?

In both cases (heaven and hell) they're both designed exactly like downtown Peoria. Ill.

What makes the one "hell" and the other "heaven" is who's there with you.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I suspect that "hell" placed in opposition to "heaven" is really no different than this world of "suffering" (samsara) placed in contrast to a nirvana, just in the context of a different mythology.

A dark place full of fire and heat where people/spirits/whatever are tortured until they turn to skeletons.

I don't think Satan's a goat. I don't know where they got that idea from>.>

And that is my Christian view. Heh.

I'd love to hear what you think. :)

Of course, there's what the Bible says, but how many of us really go by that anyway? :p
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buttons,
Which hell are you refrring to.

One word translated into english as hell, is shoel. Shoel is the grave, whether the burial is in the ground, in a tomb, at sea, or cremation.

Another word for hell is gehenna. Gehenna is a valley at the edge of Jerusalem where the city's trash was carried to and burned. Likewise, there are words which become men's thoughts and action which do exist (John 1:3) are good (Gen 1:31) and can only bring an outcome of goodness (Rom 8:28). But many things were are taught to believe are not from God, they do not exist, and in the time of judgement they too will be caught up in the blazes of trash, gehenna, hell.

The most common word for hell is hades. Hades is the negation of the word eildo, and Hades means 'unawareness, lack of conscienceness, stupid'. When you learn things that do not exist, then those who taught you what cannot exist are in hades being buried deep in your mind until you go to shoel.

But rest easy, the Lord is not willing that any should perish (Malachi 2:1-3,10; 2Peter 3:10). We are who we have been taught to be (Jer 10:23-24), so when we die and are no more (Ps 103:15-16) only those things that God created (Gen 1:31; John 1:3) are assured of being carried on (Rom 8:28). What is real will be learned again and again and again forever (Ps 103:17-18) while nonsense goes up in blazes.