• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Going on in Iran?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
2019_Iranian_fuel_protests_Fars_News_%281%29.jpg

The 2019–2020 Iranian protests also known as the Bloody November (Persian: آبان خونین‎), were a series of nationwide civil protests in Iran, initially caused by a 50%–200% increase in fuel prices, leading to calls for the overthrow of the government in Iran and Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. The protests commenced as peaceful gatherings on the evening of 15 November but spread to 21 cities within hours, as videos of the protest circulated online, eventually becoming the most violent and severe anti-government unrest since the rise of Iran's Islamic Republic in 1979.
To block the sharing of information regarding the protests and the deaths of hundreds of protesters on social media platforms, the government shut down the Internet nationwide, resulting in a near-total internet blackout of around six days. In an effort to crush the protests the Iranian government, (according to Amnesty international), shot protesters dead from rooftops, helicopters, and at close range with machine gun fire. In an effort to mask the scale and casualty count of the protests, it hauled away large numbers of bodies of the dead protesters, (according to the New York Times) and threatened families of slain protesters not to speak to the media or hold funerals, (according to Amnesty International).
As many as 1,500 Iranian protesters were killed according to the US. The government crackdown prompted a violent reaction from protesters who destroyed 731 government banks including Iran's central bank, nine Islamic religious centres, tore down anti-American billboards, and posters and statues of the Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei as well as former leader Khomeini. Fifty government military bases were also attacked by protesters.
The uprising differed from earlier 2009 protests in not being limited to students and large cities, and in the speed, severity and higher death toll of the government crackdown, which crushed the uprising in three days, although protests flared up periodically in the months after.
2019–2020 Iranian protests - Wikipedia

Doesn't sound good.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I expect that the brutality and oppression of the Iranian regime won't survive the Information Age without more violence and abusive practices on its end. It's tragic that so many Iranians have lost their lives to this stubborn, self-servingly corrupt regime.

Now watch as some so-called "liberal" figures and politicians virtue-signal to Iran and turn a blind eye to its regressive and inhumane politics while criticizing the same issues in other countries because it is more politically correct and expedient to do so.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Now watch as some so-called "liberal" figures and politicians virtue-signal to Iran and turn a blind eye to its regressive and inhumane politics while criticizing the same issues in other countries because it is more politically correct and expedient to do so.
How about citing some "so-called" "liberal" figures who are virtue-signalling to Iran. I don't know of any. The only thing I see is a disagreement about the best way to deal with it.

But to some it appears that liberals are evil, evil and again EVIL and only the great God-supported Donald Trump can save the world from the evil liberals.

danieldemol

Premium Member

The 2019–2020 Iranian protests also known as the Bloody November (Persian: آبان خونین‎), were a series of nationwide civil protests in Iran, initially caused by a 50%–200% increase in fuel prices, leading to calls for the overthrow of the government in Iran and Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. The protests commenced as peaceful gatherings on the evening of 15 November but spread to 21 cities within hours, as videos of the protest circulated online, eventually becoming the most violent and severe anti-government unrest since the rise of Iran's Islamic Republic in 1979.
To block the sharing of information regarding the protests and the deaths of hundreds of protesters on social media platforms, the government shut down the Internet nationwide, resulting in a near-total internet blackout of around six days. In an effort to crush the protests the Iranian government, (according to Amnesty international), shot protesters dead from rooftops, helicopters, and at close range with machine gun fire. In an effort to mask the scale and casualty count of the protests, it hauled away large numbers of bodies of the dead protesters, (according to the New York Times) and threatened families of slain protesters not to speak to the media or hold funerals, (according to Amnesty International).
As many as 1,500 Iranian protesters were killed according to the US. The government crackdown prompted a violent reaction from protesters who destroyed 731 government banks including Iran's central bank, nine Islamic religious centres, tore down anti-American billboards, and posters and statues of the Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei as well as former leader Khomeini. Fifty government military bases were also attacked by protesters.
The uprising differed from earlier 2009 protests in not being limited to students and large cities, and in the speed, severity and higher death toll of the government crackdown, which crushed the uprising in three days, although protests flared up periodically in the months after.

Doesn't sound good.
Is this news a touch dated now? Or are there still protests occurring?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
How about citing some "so-called" "liberal" figures who are virtue-signalling to Iran. I don't know of any. The only thing I see is a disagreement about the best way to deal with it.

But to some it appears that liberals are evil, evil and again EVIL and only the great God-supported Donald Trump can save the world from the evil liberals.

I'm not sure why you decided to bring Trump into this seeing as how I don't like him any more than I do the Iranian government.

Come to think of it, most liberals I've seen engage in apologetics for the Iranian regime or gloss over its crimes are individuals rather than celebrities or politicians. Just check comments on almost any article about the human rights violations in Iran--especially ones related to religion--and you'll most likely find examples of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"It is very clear, it was the United States that left the deal. It was the United States that violated the deal. It was the United States that punished any country that remained respectful and compliant with the deal," Zarif said on "GPS." "It is for the United States to return to the deal to implement its obligations. Iran never left the deal."...

..."Now it's clear, it's a decision that President Biden and his advisers need to take," he said. "Whether they want to break with the policies of President Trump or whether they want to build on his failures. If they want to build on his failures, they only will only get failure as a result."
Biden says he won't lift sanctions on Iran to bring country back to negotiating table - CNNPolitics

I was thinking more in line with human rights but yes, there is a lot going on with Iran.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is this news a touch dated now? Or are there still protests occurring?

Kind of doubt it after so many were killed.

It was only last year but I haven't found anything later. Seems maybe Iran cracked down on information getting out.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Doesn't sound good.
I have no reason to believe a word of it unless confirmed by neutral sources, which none of those mentioned in the above are by any stretch of the imagination (the NY Times is often just a pro-war propaganda mouthpiece for the DoD, like most other MSM). Stuff like this is commonly used as a setup for invasion and regime change to install pro-US and pro-corporate puppets, like with Libya. It plays on people's emotions and they don't think to investigate it further. It's a good tactic because the powers that be can hide behind feel good humanitarian reasons to destroy a county.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I hate how these things anywhere in the world are too likely to pan out.

I'm near to the point where I would start cheering if the elites in almost any of these cases were guillotined. I doubt I'll ever cross that line though. Kinda hard to do that, given so many ways innocent people would be murdered every day from the day that sort of thing started until most likely years had gone by, if it ever would really stop even then.

It doesn't matter to me what class innocent people are said to be from. Class is ultimately a construct, and has no meaningful realism at all when applied to determining someone's humanity.

Besides, there's a real and accurate sense in which every human is too intellectually dysfunctional to be held fully culpable in anything at all they do or don't do. Evolution didn't even come close to evolving our species as capable of grasping the full consequences of a single, accidental car crash, let alone anything else.

Me, I console myself with possessing the uber-large brain of my species, which seems to have evolved chiefly in order to be powerful enough to outwit it's owner into living a life of almost unbroken self-delusions.

Sounds like there's a lot in these reports to think about, see if anymore can be found out about what's going on.

I'm so struck by two or three of the things the protestors are reported to have done, that I'm hoping to get enough information to maybe figure out what some of the consequences have been.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I'm not sure why you decided to bring Trump into this seeing as how I don't like him any more than I do the Iranian government.

Come to think of it, most liberals I've seen engage in apologetics for the Iranian regime or gloss over its crimes are individuals rather than celebrities or politicians. Just check comments on almost any article about the human rights violations in Iran--especially ones related to religion--and you'll most likely find examples of what I'm talking about.
Could you perhaps elaborate what you are talking about? I'm not exactly finding it difficult to find accounts of the oppressive nature of the Iranian regime in Western media, so I'm curious where you are coming from with this claim.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Could you perhaps elaborate what you are talking about? I'm not exactly finding it difficult to find accounts of the oppressive nature of the Iranian regime in Western media, so I'm curious where you are coming from with this claim.

I answered this in an earlier post:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
For what it's worth, the Iranian population was hit particularly hard by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, so it's not hard to see that people would be fed up with the regime's handling of the crisis. It would hardly be the only country where the economic and political impact of the pandemic would bring people onto the streets.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I answered this in an earlier post:
I was specifically responding to that post because I found it too vague and unclear in what it was referring to, and therefore in my opinion unhelpful as a base for further discussion.

It's fine if you don't feel like further explaining yourself, I'll just bow out of any further exchange on the topic then.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was specifically responding to that post because I found it too vague and unclear in what it was referring to, and therefore in my opinion unhelpful as a base for further discussion.

It's fine if you don't feel like further explaining yourself, I'll just bow out of any further exchange on the topic then.

I was mainly referring to individual comments. I didn't claim that all of the media or all liberals engage in this kind of apologetics, since I know that would be inaccurate.