• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God's will?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I know only my will and I pray to the God of my understanding to do His will
and not mine.
My will gets me into trouble. I'm a recovering alcoholic and MY will with get me
drunk and dead.
How could anyone know the "will" of another person without discussion on
the topic and voluntarily revealing ones will?????????????

Kueid

Avant-garde
How could anyone know the "will" of another person without discussion on
the topic and voluntarily revealing ones will?????????????

Thats the million dollar question. How? I have some methods but I don't know if they really work. One thing I can say, if you believe that it's impossible to do.. you know the rest.

Gambit

So my starting point is....if there is a supernatural, all powerful, all knowing being that can just speak the universe into existence, isn't it incredibly absurd to think you can actually know his will??? You can read whatever humanly written "holly book" you choose and say it is in there. But if he is so mind mindbogglingly intelligent, for all you know what ever you think he has stated may be nothing but part of an incredible scam and his true intentions are entirely malevolent. You would never know. How can you confidently say you can fully and completely plum the depths of an intellect that is so far above your own?

Your argument is sophomoric. God as absolute perfection is the supreme good.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
God does not have a will. We all in our respective cultures, nature, etc make up what god is. The wills of each person and communnity differ. God does not have a will. We make out own wills in light of god within us (to those who believe god is spirit)

Peace to you, Carlita, :)

Love (God) has a will. It is that we fulfill the law:

Romans 13:10
English Standard Version (ESV)
(10)Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

That we obey God (fulfill the law) is His Will.

Bro. Noah

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Peace to you, Carlita, :)

Love (God) has a will. It is that we fulfill the law:

Romans 13:10
English Standard Version (ESV)
(10)Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

That we obey God (fulfill the law) is His Will.

Bro. Noah

I respect that point of view.

In my point of view, god is not in the picture only my ancestors, family, and the teachings of the Dharma.

Outside of our respective views, god doesnt have a will. How can he? You have sooo many gods that to say your god has a will and John god does not when John is pagan makes your god more of your perspective rather than universal knowledge.

Unfortunately, not everyone believes their ancestors are still alive. Not everyome believes that offerings are giving ones body and spirit to family. But its not about me.

How can god have a will?

Think about god outside our respective views. If there are many cultural and self created views of god, saying god has or is anything is really meaningless.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
I respect that point of view.

In my point of view, god is not in the picture only my ancestors, family, and the teachings of the Dharma.

Outside of our respective views, god doesnt have a will. How can he? You have sooo many gods that to say your god has a will and John god does not when John is pagan makes your god more of your perspective rather than universal knowledge...

Yes God can be "subjective" and not "objective." But the God of the Bible is Love. :)

Acim

Revelation all the time
What is God's will?

"God's Will is all there is." - A Course in Miracles

"What" honestly works for me. I genuinely see the question as answering itself.

But as the quoted text just so happens to match the letters of my user name, I am aware that it also says, "Teach only Love, for that is What You are." Or it might be "for that is Who You are." Not sure, but confident I have the gist of it correct. Also seems to align with the 2 (greatest) commandments provided in NT.

Brian Schuh

The question is meaningless. Do you have a particular situation that calls for you to figure out God's will? Look at my will, what is my will? Is it my will that I have chicken tonight or beef? Is it my will to get a job or go back to school? Is it my will to marry Jane or Bethany? Obviously my will is infinite in that there are an infinite number of decisions.

I mean, there are some things one can say from the get go, it is God's will you obey his law. But if you want to know what God's will is for the next winning lottery numbers, if I knew you think I'd tell you? And why would you care what God's will is for some guy named Ching Ling Dang who might live in Taiwan? God governs the whole universe and wills everything. So to complete the question, you would have to spell out a situation, like What is God's will concerning how I handle my incompetant supervisor at work? Now that is a question that could be answered.

So the question is meaningless. Post another thread explaining a situation that requires you to know God's will, and you might get an answer that means something.

Okay, I'll give it my best shot. It is God's will that you cook some rice tonight. Lol.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
If you want to know God's Will then study Scripture and pray on this.
God's will is spelled out for us.
“Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother” (Mark 3:35)

There is much more about knowing God's will if you just do a bit of reading instead of
getting mere opinions here.
I'm an addict/alcoholic. We in recovery are taught to "pray for knowledge of God's will
for us and the Power to carry that out."
Without a Power Greater than man recovery is almost impossible.
I struggle with this concept and almost died in my addition.
NOW I ask for His help and direction.
Get sick enough and you too will believe and trust in Him.
Stand on the threshold of an ugly, shameful, painful, early death and YOU TOO
might come to believe.
I doubt there are many atheists in a recovery group.
If so they don't last too long.
In recovery we must SURRENDER to WIN.
You will get that when facing a terrible early death.
Have you heard it said "there are NO atheists in foxholes"?
My strong willed father in combat in WWII didn't believe either.
Until artillery was incoming and shells were coming closer an closer and dad
said, "Oh, God make this one a dud." And it WAS.
If not he'd have been a red smudge in the dirt.
He believed.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1 Tim.2:4...Eccl. 12:13
Book of Ecclesiastes 12:13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.
1 Timothy 2:4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ecclesiastes 12:12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

VioletVortex

God doesn't have a will. He's too pure and holy to ever have a need for such lustful abomination as a will. :p

Seriously, the my god's will is rebellion, intelligence, and individuality.

whirlingmerc

God does have a will and does all His good pleasures, but whether pleasure or delight is good or bad depends on what it rests on.
For example in Isaiah 53 'it pleased God to crush Him' and God was pleased to allow his Son to die for sinners and to be raised and Jesus did it 'for the joy set before Him'