• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God's name

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
ok, I was reminded of something during a debate. I was quoted the following:You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. Exodus 20:7

My response to this requires a new thread so, here goes. Number three of the Commandments given to Moses was:
Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

But what is God's name? How can cussing be a sin against this commandment, when "God" is an English word. This is not his name. I spend the better part of a year studing the names of God from every religion I could find. And they all kept pointing to the same thing. The proper name of God was given to Moses on the Mount. I am that I am. The English translation of God's proper name is "I am".

This just put me in a tailspin. If God's name translates to "I am" how can we not use the Lord's name in vain? This did not make any sense to me . . . until . . .

I found out what the true definition of 'vain' was. My definition of vain was based on the song I grew up hearing "you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you. . . You're so vvvaaaiiinnn. But the true definition is this: emptiness, nothingness, worthlessness, emptiness of speech. (He made a vain attempt to stop smoking.)

Now it is all clear. God's name is "I am" everytime we say those words we are either 1) honoring the lords name, by causing positive energy, 2) using the lord's name in vain by not following through with what we say, or 3) committing blasphemy (impious and reproachful speech injurious to divine majesty) when we use these words to spread negative energy.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
God hasn't got a name, for anything created by something else is given a name, but that which is not created has nothing to name it.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
jimbob said:
God's name is either "I Am" or as the Jewish people call him, "Yahweh".
i think your thinking of the unpronouncable YHVH which can not and should not be pronounced as it looks...
HaShem is a safe way of refering to Him...He has many names that refer to different attributes...

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
jewscout said:
i think your thinking of the unpronouncable YHVH which can not and should not be pronounced as it looks...
HaShem is a safe way of refering to Him...He has many names that refer to different attributes...
This is what I spent a year researching. The 72 names of God. Attributes, yes that is what I learned about. I was even taught the proper pronounciation of YHVH. But when all the pieces of this puzzle fell into place for me and the contradictions were cleared away, God was no longer this 'thing' that was out there somewhere. This wisdom placed God right in the middle of my everything. I am. So simple. If it had been a snake, it would have bit me. :p

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Ok if his name is "i am" how can we NOT use his name in vain? Vain, not like the song. Vain also means empty, or with no value. So any time we say "I am" and don't follow through with it, isn't this using the Lord's name in vain.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
jewscout said:
How can you pronounce something that NO ONE knows how to truely pronounce???:banghead3
The Jews are very maticulous in keeping the facts straight. I have studied the ancient texts with a Rabbi. I was a Christian who doubted what my churches were teaching me. So God brought into my life a teacher. He taught me how to hear the Spirit of God. He opened doors for me that I did not know existed. I have spoke HIS name and I have seen Heaven.

A

angellous_evangellous

EnhancedSpirit said:
The Jews are very maticulous in keeping the facts straight. I have studied the ancient texts with a Rabbi. I was a Christian who doubted what my churches were teaching me. So God brought into my life a teacher. He taught me how to hear the Spirit of God. He opened doors for me that I did not know existed. I have spoke HIS name and I have seen Heaven.
Hmmmm. It sounds like you have been talking to a rather mystical rabbi - perhaps one who follows Kabbalah?

Since we don't really know what the name of God is - only the high preist spoke the actual name of God once a year in the Holy of Holies - and the Lord gave the command to the people not to take his name in vain, I think that to keep the commandment, we must revere who we think God is.

That is, none of us in this life will truly be able to commune with the divine. By faith we can trust in God, and we have the Scriptures, but the revelation is rather limited. IMO to revere the name of God, we must not use the English word "God" as a curse word, particularly when qualified "Almighty" - because there is only one Almighty God. Also, since Jesus shows the Way to the Father, and Christians confess that Jesus is the flesh of God, Christians cannot use Jesus Christ as a curse word - and furthermore Jesus and Paul both forbid cursing of any sort.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
angellous_evangellous said:
That is, none of us in this life will truly be able to commune with the divine. By faith we can trust in God, and we have the Scriptures, but the revelation is rather limited. IMO to revere the name of God, we must not use the English word "God" as a curse word, particularly when qualified "Almighty" - because there is only one Almighty God. Also, since Jesus shows the Way to the Father, and Christians confess that Jesus is the flesh of God, Christians cannot use Jesus Christ as a curse word - and furthermore Jesus and Paul both forbid cursing of any sort.
Where does the bible say that cussing is bad? If I stub my toe and scream out God's name in pain, is that a sin? And how does the words "in vain" have anything to do with what man has labeled 'bad words'.

I do agree that cussing can be a sin. But this is because most often cussing is used with an angry heart. And it is the intention behind the words that is the issue here. But this has nothing to do with taking the lord's name in vain. This is one of those things that really confused me about what the Christians were teaching me about this.

And I am sad that you think you cannot commune with God. Those who have ears . . .

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Of course, you are right, Jewscout; as I thought you would be; I was puzzled by the fact that you always refer to 'him' as G-d, and I would like you to explain that to me, if you would.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The four letter tetragrammaton (Greek, 'four letters') is the true name of the God of the Hebrew scriptures. Its pronunciation is considered to have great power, and is never spoken aloud, save for once a year, in the inner sanctuary of the Temple during the rites of Yom Kippur. In written scripture, it is given the vowel markings and pronuciation of the word Adonai, lord, leading to the common Christian mispronunciation of the name as Jehovah. In Judaism, the tetragrammaton is commonly referred to as "HaShem," The Name.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The tetragrammaton is central to the doctrines of both the Jewish and Esoteric Kabbalistic traditions, where it is equivalent to the four worlds of creation, the four elements, the four archangels, and the four cardinal directions. Christian kabbalists added the letter "Shin", rendering "YHShH," or Yeheshua, Jesus, as proof of the divine origin of Christ.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The four weapons of Ritual magick symbolize the essence of the letters of the tetragrammaton; these also form the basis for the four suits in a deck of Tarot cards.[/font]

source :http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefsyhvh.htm:)

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
jewscout said:
I doubt a Kabbalist would know how to pronounce YHVH
Jewscout, as a jew, you are God's chosen people, the rest of us are like step children. The Jews have remained loyal to the laws of the Almighty, do you really think they have not retained HIS name? There is a reason why it is not to be spoken. The word of God is powerful, and so is his name.

A

angellous_evangellous

jewscout said:
I doubt a Kabbalist would know how to pronounce YHVH
No one does... that is the point. :D Kabbalists would likely accept one who claims to have seen heaven:eek:

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
angellous_evangellous said:
No one does... that is the point. :D Kabbalists would likely accept one who claims to have seen heaven:eek:
Yes, someone does know
Its pronunciation is considered to have great power, and is never spoken aloud, save for once a year, in the inner sanctuary of the Temple during the rites of Yom Kippur.

A

angellous_evangellous

EnhancedSpirit said:
Where does the bible say that cussing is bad? If I stub my toe and scream out God's name in pain, is that a sin? And how does the words "in vain" have anything to do with what man has labeled 'bad words'.

I do agree that cussing can be a sin. But this is because most often cussing is used with an angry heart. And it is the intention behind the words that is the issue here. But this has nothing to do with taking the lord's name in vain. This is one of those things that really confused me about what the Christians were teaching me about this.

And I am sad that you think you cannot commune with God. Those who have ears . . .
Now there are a lot of different types of cursing, and this about will cover it all. I would agree that there are no evil words. However, words are given meanings that are vile and slaner God's purposes: his holiness, his righteous plan for sex, and some words are just indecent to day around mama or anyone else. Christians are to "tame their tongues."

Col 3:8 - Show Context But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.

Eph 4:29 - Show Context Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

Jas 1:26 - Show Context If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.

Jas 3:5 - Show Context So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!

Jas 3:6 - Show Context And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.

Jas 3:8 - Show Context But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.

1Pe 3:10 - Show Context For, "THE ONE WHO DESIRES LIFE, TO LOVE AND SEE GOOD DAYS, MUST KEEP HIS TONGUE FROM EVIL AND HIS LIPS FROM SPEAKING DECEIT.

Mt 5:22 - Show Context "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, `You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, `You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

As far as communing with God, we always stand under Scripture, never beside or above it. When we are able to commune with God, we will have no use for Scripture because we will not need any aide to keep us living in his righteousness and according to His plan. We see through a glass darkly until we see Him face to face.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
As far as communing with God, we always stand under Scripture, never beside or above it. When we are able to commune with God, we will have no use for Scripture because we will not need any aide to keep us living in his righteousness and according to His plan. We see through a glass darkly until we see Him face to face.
You stand under scripture because you chose to do so. I agree that once you commune with God, scripture is no longer needed. God wants us to step out from behind the glass. As we peel away our fear, doubt, regret, the veils are lifted and the light of God shines from us like a beacon. Whenever I face conflicting information, I ask God for the truth, not another student.

A

angellous_evangellous

EnhancedSpirit said:

You stand under scripture because you chose to do so. I agree that once you commune with God, scripture is no longer needed. God wants us to step out from behind the glass. As we peel away our fear, doubt, regret, the veils are lifted and the light of God shines from us like a beacon. Whenever I face conflicting information, I ask God for the truth, not another student.
Perhaps your journey will lead you also to the conclusion that God created the Church the exist communally. We need eachother. If God spoke to you, then you have the responsibility to tell the community and allow your revelation to be reviewed. God's "voice" to the individual is almost always limited to the individual and not for the community. That is, you may think that you have encountered a truth for everyone, but in fact God is working on you devotionally where you are completely unaware of His presence.

If you wish to continue "just asking God" you are going to end up alone and outside of the community of faith, as you have already abandoned the Christian confession.

By claiming to simply ask God, you are claiming to be a prophet.

The Christian prophet sits under Scripture:
1Co 14:37 - Show Context If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment. The Christian prophet allows himself to be tested in the community (see context for both):

1Jo 4:1 - Show Context

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

1Co 14:32 - Show Context and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets;

For checking with other students:
see above 1 John and 1 Corinthians and:

Pr 27:17 - Show Context Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

1Co 14:3 - Show Context But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.

Ps 133:1 - Show Context Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity!