• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
is god this vs that?

or does everything issue from god? the heart?

does god change things?

Romans 11:36
For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

John 7:38
He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”

Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

LightofTruth

By nature, the heart of man is evil and desperately wicked, says the prophet Jeremiah. From it flow all the evil there is in the world. The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life is where all sins and evil originate and can be attributed.

Altfish

Veteran Member
God is a man made invention originally to explain the unknowns such as thunder and lightening; but later god became a money making and power giving scam.

Darkforbid

God is a man made invention originally to explain the unknowns such as thunder and lightening; but later god became a money making and power giving scam.

So you're claiming: Omniscience you are claiming to be an all-knowing authority on the subject of God’s inspiration, to refute God’s claim that Scripture was inspired by Him. Omnipresence you are claiming that you were present, both spiritually and physically, to observe that God had no part in aiding any of the biblical authors

Good luck with that

Altfish

Veteran Member
So you're claiming: Omniscience you are claiming to be an all-knowing authority on the subject of God’s inspiration, to refute God’s claim that Scripture was inspired by Him. Omnipresence you are claiming that you were present, both spiritually and physically, to observe that God had no part in aiding any of the biblical authors

Good luck with that
I do not claim to be omniscient or omnipresent, I make my statement based on evidence.
No, it is the religious side that are making the claims. Claims based on no evidence.
If the scriptures were the subject of god's inspiration why are there so many errors? Why don't they tell us how to cure disease instead of 'don't pick up sticks on the sabbath'?

Do you believe in Zeus? What about Poseidon?
What do you think of Scientology, Islam, Mormonism?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
bigger, faster, stronger, more intelligent and greatly experienced

if He fails anyone of these.....He is not God

Darkforbid

I do not claim to be omniscient or omnipresent, I make my statement based on evidence.
No, it is the religious side that are making the claims. Claims based on no evidence.
If the scriptures were the subject of god's inspiration why are there so many errors? Why don't they tell us how to cure disease instead of 'don't pick up sticks on the sabbath'?

Do you believe in Zeus? What about Poseidon?
What do you think of Scientology, Islam, Mormonism?

Well please provide that evidence then.

As for the rest of your unsubstantiated arguments. The collection of book found in the bible are written over a massive time period. With the so called errors, you claim being because of that simple fact. Its highly illogical thinking they wouldn't find any

The multiple God arguments from atheists are very weak

Different cultures and time periods have vastly different theological ideas but they're all on one subject God

Again it's highly illogical to think they wouldn't be different

Plus just because you don't accept the evidence doesn't mean there's none

Have you seen an alien. Does that mean other life in the universe is nonexistent?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Selective interpretation of the evidence, sure. What we know based on evidence is that our ancestors were polytheists who worshiped multiple gods. How they regarded those gods varied quite a lot, and to suggest that the gods were merely a primitive people's explanation of the world reeks of modern bias and assumptions. Especially since in polytheistic cultures, we know that there wasn't this stark division between "gods" and "nature" like there is in modern, Western thinking about gods. For our ancestors, the gods were various aspects of nature and the universe, expressed poetically and artfully with allegory, metaphor, anthropomorphisms, and so on. This means to saying that our ancestors "invented" the gods is the same as saying our ancestors invented nature and the universe. And as cute as I find such nonsensical statements to be as a modern polytheist, I get a bit tired of it.

When we get right down to it, we really don't know what our ancestors thought about the gods. Especially since pre-Christian indigenous Paganisms weren't exactly great about leaving written records. Their traditions were largely oral, and often what we know about them comes from the eyes of conquerers who weren't exactly agenda-free. Please keep that in mind when putting post-hoc interpretations on the evidence.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Well please provide that evidence then.

As for the rest of your unsubstantiated arguments. The collection of book found in the bible are written over a massive time period. With the so called errors, you claim being because of that simple fact. It highly illogical thinking they wouldn't

The multiple God arguments from atheists are very weak

Different cultures and time periods have vastly different theological ideas but they're all on one subject God

Again it's highly illogical to think they wouldn't

Plus just because you don't accept the evidence doesn't mean there's none

Have you seen an alien. Does that mean other life in the universe is nonexistent?
I'm pleased that you accept that the Bible is written by men. I must ask, why hasn't god felt the need to update it for the 21st Century? When did he stop talking to man and having them record it.
Evidence that gods were created by man are many.
I have already mentioned Mormonism, Joseph Smith is obviously a charlatan who created that religion.Similarly with L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. We know both these religions are man-made because they happened in the times when books and communication was more common.
Henry VIII created the Church of England when it broke from Catholicism.
Why should we believe any different for older religions?

Religion was invented by man to explain the unknown and death in particular. As science has advanced humans have acquired better answers to most of the original questions, which leaves us with god of the gaps.

atanu

Premium Member

Your evidence is perceptual, which as per your belief is powered by some unknown mechanism in brain. How do you know that you have the competence to judge truth value of propositions? How do you know that the brain mechanism is not fooling you?

Darkforbid

I'm pleased that you accept that the Bible is written by men. I must ask, why hasn't god felt the need to update it for the 21st Century? When did he stop talking to man and having them record it.
I have already mentioned Mormonism, Joseph Smith is obviously a charlatan who created that religion.Similarly with L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. We know both these religions are man-made because they happened in the times when books and communication was more common.
Henry VIII created the Church of England when it broke from Catholicism.
Why should we believe any different for older religions?

Religion was invented by man to explain the unknown and death in particular. As science has advanced humans have acquired better answers to most of the original questions, which leaves us with god of the gaps.

Well you keep saying evidence but not providing any, you say;

Then you provide a list of Religious with different theologic concepts

Religion is not God

And again your claiming you know exactly why religions happened

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Different cultures and time periods have vastly different theological ideas but they're all on one subject God.
In India, we have two religions which do not claim existence of God, Jainism and Buddhism; and Hinduism too is OK about non-existence of God.
The possibility of existence of aliens is very strong in a universe with some 2 trillion galaxies and each galaxy having billions of stars like sun with their planets, which may be habitable. But to say that aliens are like ET would be wrong, since we have no evidence.

c48fb2f01b8dd464cd7de58cfe3d94db--mmf250x250.jpg

When we get right down to it, we really don't know what our ancestors thought about the gods.
Fortunately, we know exactly what our ancestors thought about Gods (and Goddesses) since we still worship those Gods and Goddesses, with the prayers that our ancestors used to worship them 6,000 years ago. Thanks to our books, the Vedas. Yeah, we have forgotten a few things. We do not know if 'Soma' concoction was made with Marijuana or Ephedra. We know that it was ground with a pestle, filtered through wool and mixed with milk and honey (much like 'bhang' which we use even today).

p73-1.JPG

Last edited:

Darkforbid

In India, we have two religions which do not claim existence of God, Jainism and Buddhism; and Hinduism too is OK about non-existence of God.
The possibility of existence of aliens is very strong in a universe with some 2 trillion galaxies and each galaxy having billions of stars like sun with their planets, which may be habitable. But to say that aliens are like ET would be wrong, since we have no evidence.

c48fb2f01b8dd464cd7de58cfe3d94db--mmf250x250.jpg

And?

Buddhist also have a word for telepathy I think you'll find most atheists think that's rubbish too

Buddhist beliefs regarding a creator deity are conflicted. It teaches the concept of gods, heavens and rebirths in its Saṃsāra doctrine, but it considers none of these gods as a creator. Buddhism posits that mundane deities such as Mahabrahma are misconstrued to be a creator.

Darkforbid

"Those who raise questions about the God hypothesis and the soul hypothesis are by no means all atheist. An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do know to be sure that no such God exist"

Carl Sagan

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I must ask, why hasn't god felt the need to update it for the 21st Century?
Ah, we update Hinduism in every century. We have incorporated Big Bang, Evolution and Quantum Mechanics in Hinduism.
Your evidence is perceptual, which as per your belief is powered by some unknown mechanism in brain. How do you know that you have the competence to judge truth value of propositions? How do you know that the brain mechanism is not fooling you?
Can I ask the same question to you? Your evidence is not even perceptual.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
By nature, the heart of man is evil and desperately wicked, says the prophet Jeremiah. From it flow all the evil there is in the world. The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life is where all sins and evil originate and can be attributed.
the thread is about god. what then is god; if not something in the heart?

does god flow in and out of hearts when he searches them???

"I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve."

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

people can make money and attain power off of anything. god isn't the exception for those who practice deception.

but attempting to understand an ancient culture's explanation of something; isn't necessarily stated in literal terms. sometimes they are written in cryptic terms meant to convey something that the shallow won't understand.

Last edited: