• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God Like?

usfan

Look at this like a 'what if' scenario. You can believe anything you want, but for discussion purposes, what do you think God is like? Use your observation powers, anecdotal evidence, implications, extrapolations, or your own experience.

Even atheists can participate.. just make the assumption that there is a God, then tell us what you think He is like based on the world around you. If that is too hard, no problem. 'I have no idea' is a good answer, too.

Now, if you have a personal issue with God.. if you have deep seated hostility or anger, i understand. It is hard to be objective with those emotions clouding your thinking processes. But perhaps you can relay what happened to you, personally, that resulted in your anger with God, & how that colored your perception of Him.

I'm not asking for theological orthodoxy, or denominational descriptions, or quotes from religious texts or someone else, on what they think God is like, but your own personal experience, perception, & analysis.

I'll start.

1. God is very mysterious.
Thousands of years of human history have not brought us to any consensus as to the nature or even existence of God. This is probably the central question of human philosophy, yet we don't really know much about Him.

2. God is distant. He has what seems to be a 'laissez faire' view of humanity. Things go on pretty much randomly, with no apparent goal or purpose. He does not seem to be involved in our social processes. He does not intervene if we are stupid or destructive, but lets us do whatever we want.

3. God is not moved by death. Humans are terrified of death. We agonize over it, pace around, wringing our hands over wrongful death, injustice, or suffering. But God seems unmoved by it. The whole system of life on earth revolves around death.

4. God has allowed or provided a beautiful world for us. Beauty & awe are all around us, & move us to powerful emotions. The natural world is both terrifying & beautiful. The variety is amazing, & the nature of the universe is beyond our understanding, even after thousands of years of collective knowledge. At least, He has instilled in us the capacity for Awe.

5. God is orderly. Laws of nature are consistent, & dependable. Humans may be fickle, but God is not.

Those are a few things to get things started.. this is a philosophical exercise, & we can examine or rebut any offers or descriptions. Please don't take offense FOR God, or anyone else, if someone's description does not meet your standard. I'd like to hear ANY opinions, even far out ones, if they have a rational basis.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When you're a polytheist, asking the question becomes a great deal more complicated. For us, there are many gods, and the common factor is that they are things we deem worthy of worship. Beyond that, the gods themselves are diverse individuals whose natures differ widely from one another. You get to know the gods like you do any other person, with all the limitations that implies. And like getting to know a person, you do not need to know everything about the gods to have a relationship with them or to honor them.

usfan

When you're a polytheist, asking the question becomes a great deal more complicated. For us, there are many gods, and the common factor is that they are things we deem worthy of worship. Beyond that, the gods themselves are diverse individuals whose natures differ widely from one another. You get to know the gods like you do any other person, with all the limitations that implies. And like getting to know a person, you do not need to know everything about the gods to have a relationship with them or to honor them.
No problem. Say what you think how the world around you describes the attributes of Deity. This is a logical exercise, concluding things about the supernatural, based on our perceptions, experiences, and analysis.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
1/ yes one reason for atheism
2/ you know this how? No god would be a far better explanation than an omniscient god made a bipedal race to worship him then sits back lets them destroy themselves?
3/ speak for yourself but it seems certain that some are so longing to extend their life they will dedicate it to a myth
4/ does this mean it will always be beyond our understanding or are you using god to fill the gaps?
5/ actually the universe (and hence nature) is chaotic, with different forces acting on different bits from every conceivable direction.

My view of what god is like, whatever any god believer imagenes?

Why would an atheist make such an assumption? Is the same as if you ask a god believer to deny gods

A Vestigial Mote

Assuming a god exists and is truly the creator of the universe, then this god is a genius beyond all human-known intellectual imagining. To start with nothing, no input, no other beings or objects to see or interact with, and formulate the abstract for a plan by which an entire universe of "stuff" (again all imagined or thought-out by this god) can sustain itself and even sustain life in ongoing cycles of energetic transfers, all without having to lift a finger of His/Her/Its own after the initial "send off." Even the things any god is purported to have done after a creation moment would have been unnecessary, since the universe He/She/It created, as mentioned previously, certainly appears to sustain itself. Truly mind-boggling, and no wonder such a being would evoke fear.

Darkforbid

Surely it would be easier for you, with ancient being more personified?

Anyway back to the question: the presence of God is like an ant arguing physics with Einstein

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
..and that is the goal, here. ..Relaying our subjective perceptions to describe God, based on the world around us.
Then it tell us more about you and your spirituality than it communicates anything about the reality of God and what God is like.

David T

Premium Member
Look at this like a 'what if' scenario. You can believe anything you want, but for discussion purposes, what do you think God is like? Use your observation powers, anecdotal evidence, implications, extrapolations, or your own experience.

Even atheists can participate.. just make the assumption that there is a God, then tell us what you think He is like based on the world around you. If that is too hard, no problem. 'I have no idea' is a good answer, too.

Now, if you have a personal issue with God.. if you have deep seated hostility or anger, i understand. It is hard to be objective with those emotions clouding your thinking processes. But perhaps you can relay what happened to you, personally, that resulted in your anger with God, & how that colored your perception of Him.

I'm not asking for theological orthodoxy, or denominational descriptions, or quotes from religious texts or someone else, on what they think God is like, but your own personal experience, perception, & analysis.

I'll start.

1. God is very mysterious.
Thousands of years of human history have not brought us to any consensus as to the nature or even existence of God. This is probably the central question of human philosophy, yet we don't really know much about Him.

2. God is distant. He has what seems to be a 'laissez faire' view of humanity. Things go on pretty much randomly, with no apparent goal or purpose. He does not seem to be involved in our social processes. He does not intervene if we are stupid or destructive, but lets us do whatever we want.

3. God is not moved by death. Humans are terrified of death. We agonize over it, pace around, wringing our hands over wrongful death, injustice, or suffering. But God seems unmoved by it. The whole system of life on earth revolves around death.

4. God has allowed or provided a beautiful world for us. Beauty & awe are all around us, & move us to powerful emotions. The natural world is both terrifying & beautiful. The variety is amazing, & the nature of the universe is beyond our understanding, even after thousands of years of collective knowledge. At least, He has instilled in us the capacity for Awe.

5. God is orderly. Laws of nature are consistent, & dependable. Humans may be fickle, but God is not.

Those are a few things to get things started.. this is a philosophical exercise, & we can examine or rebut any offers or descriptions. Please don't take offense FOR God, or anyone else, if someone's description does not meet your standard. I'd like to hear ANY opinions, even far out ones, if they have a rational basis.
Hmmm lookng at the clouds. I would say god is very mysterious apparently seems niether religion nor science has much of a clue thats for sure!!! That damn defective sin cloud.
God is distant. Yep that cloud is way up there. Gkd is not moved by death. Oh thats true the cloud certainly does not care about its life or death. God has allowed or provided a beautiful world for us.oh year no cloid no beautiful world that correct.

usfan

Hmmm lookng at the clouds. I would say god is very mysterious apparently seems niether religion nor science has much of a clue thats for sure!!! That damn defective sin cloud.
God is distant. Yep that cloud is way up there. Gkd is not moved by death. Oh thats true the cloud certainly does not care about its life or death. God has allowed or provided a beautiful world for us.oh year no cloid no beautiful world that correct.
Why is there a perception of natural beauty and awe in man? Why even have a descriptor like 'beauty', if everything is relative? Would not staring at a landfill evoke the same indifference as a sunset? :shrug:

..just wondering..

usfan

Anyway back to the question: the presence of God is like an ant arguing physics with Einstein
Even that wouldn't perfectly correlate, as the ant AND Einstein are finite, mortal beings.

Einstein could not even match the ant, in that comparison, and he would be the first to admit it. :D

David T

Premium Member
Why is there a perception of natural beauty and awe in man? Why even have a descriptor like 'beauty', if everything is relative? Would not staring at a landfill evoke the same indifference as a sunset? :shrug:

..just wondering..
Sorry i dont see a defective cloud up there no just beauty! Thats all i see. Now the land fill. They dont see the beauty in the cloud just a dollar sign thats all. Hoe avout a tree beautiful and perfect no defects no sin. Oh i look at the land fill folk they see a dollar sign looking at a tree a meanace they may catch fire they say and caluavle dollars to market. I see a being that teavels nine million miles a day through the galaxy, we are overly narrow in our mobility in relarionship to trees. So i am sorry i just see beauty ecerthing else is confusion quantifying it thats it easy.

usfan

That would be idolatry now wouldn't it be?
..not imo. It is only our limited perceptions. From a philosophical perspective, an idol is a representative object. It only has symbolic significance. If someone thinks an idol is God, that says more about them, than God.. like you said earlier.