• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
In a previous thread I explained that I'm not just part of Earthseed but a gnostic on the subject of God, explaining that I know and understand the very fundamentals on how to create it. It seems to me that my very theology of Exaltism is essentially Earthseed Gnosticism. Earthseed teaches that God is change, I explain what changes creates God.

However, if you actually look up the concept of Gnosticism, you get results that focus on a particular group of early Christians that "knows" God. If you take the word "agnostic", meaning "no knowledge of God", then gnostic, the opposite of that, seems to be "knowledge of God." But gnosticism in general theory seems to be very open to interpretation of what God is, and the Gnostics that I've heard and read about seem to point all ideas of it to Christianity.

Now, I don't want to confuse people by making them thinking I'm Earthseed AND Christian Gnostic at the same time, because, frankly, I'm not a Christian. When I say that I'm an Earthseed Gnostic, I'm using Earthseed as the adjective and Gnostic as the noun, describing myself as someone who knows how to create God, which is what Earthseed and the other syntheist religions are trying to do.

This might confuse people, and I'm wondering if I should relabel myself, or simply go back to Earthseed to avoid confusion. My theological practice is different from Earthseed, primarily because I don't see change itself being God, but rather, the thing that changes, my idea of "synverses", can become God through those changes. As explained before, God is not necessarily a being but a description of a being. It seems proper, then, to call myself an Earthseed Gnostic, because I am able to describe myself as someone who not only understands Earthseed theology but how it develops and creates God.

And just like the Christian Gnostics, the development of God in my own gnostic idea could be viewed as esoteric, no matter how exoteric I try to make the concepts to be.

Maybe i am overthinking this...

Okay. When someone tells you that they believe in Gnosticism, which of these two concepts of gnosticism do you think they believe?

(1) They know God.

or

(2) They belong to a certain group of Christians and Christianity that had extra-Biblical scriptures and claimed to know God from that?

Your responses will help me understand how I should frame my theology. If people take the broader sense of the term, (1), then I'll just keep my religion as Earthseed Gnostic, as confusing as it might be to people not familiar to transhumanist theology. But if by calling myself "Gnostic" in any way automatically makes people assume I am Christian, I really want to avoid that connotation completely, and will revert back to simply "Earthseed".

Or maybe I'll change it again once I find an even more specific idea that better co-relates to my theological construct. I mean, I do call myself "Exaltist" Ethan, from my own idea of Exaltism, but I want to avoid using my own terminology whenever possible in an attempt to convey a more exoteric idea and concept.

So please, explain to me what the term "gnostic" or "gnosticism" really means.

Also, I would like to point out that whether or not I keep calling myself "gnostic" I do in general want to understand this concept that has been elusive for me for the past several years. Not too many people claim to actually be gnostic, but many religions do claim that they actually know God, apparently.

Maybe in the end I'll find a different description that explains myself better than the esoteric words I've found and created. Instead of putting a religion in the religion description I could just say "We Create God" or "God Building", although the latter idea was once considered an extreme Marxist propaganda tool.

My quest to find the concept that describes me is not over. But even if I change my religion and no longer put Earthseed as it, I shall always be influenced by its simple premise that God is change. That is one thing about me that won't change.

Exaltist Ethan

upload_2023-1-18_19-1-17.png

Apparently I'm using it wrong. As an adjective it means pertaining to the knowledge of God (or spiritual matters), whereas as a noun it refers to early Christianity.

Regardless of me using the term, I'm in general curious as to how most people interpret such a convoluted word.

Edit: I've decided that I would use the term "gnostic" to describe myself in my signature and leave my religion simply "Earthseed". All three adjectives on the third line of my signature describes a part of my theology: Syntheist, Pantheist and Gnostic. I removed omnist as a result. I'm still omnist, very much so, but find using a word like gnostic more impactful and valuable to me than using omnist.

Last edited:
When someone tells you that they believe in Gnosticism, which of these two concepts of gnosticism do you think they believe?

(1) They know God.

or

(2) They belong to a certain group of Christians and Christianity that had extra-Biblical scriptures and claimed to know God from that?

For me, Gnosticism relates to the idea that people have been fooled by false knowledge spread by a malevolent entity, and that 'the elect' are capable of acquiring a special type of 'true' knowledge which is the key to salvation.

While gnosticism was originally religious, atheistic ideologies like Secular Humanism are essentially gnostic with religion playing the role of the malevolent entity, and 'science and reason' being the key to salvation.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
@Exaltist Ethan

I hope you are not confusing gnostic with agnostic.

Gnosticism was a movement of Jesus-believers in the early centuries CE. They did not have their own churches, but met alongside Christians who had the beliefs that eventually won out and became orthodoxy. The two main ideas of Gnosticism are:
1. That knowing certain esoteric knowledge will save you
2. That spirit is good and material is evil.

An AGnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in God--they "don't know" if God exists.

Exaltist Ethan

@Exaltist Ethan

I hope you are not confusing gnostic with agnostic.

Gnosticism was a movement of Jesus-believers in the early centuries CE. They did not have their own churches, but met alongside Christians who had the beliefs that eventually won out and became orthodoxy. The two main ideas of Gnosticism are:
1. That knowing certain esoteric knowledge will save you
2. That spirit is good and material is evil.

An AGnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in God--they "don't know" if God exists.

That’s just it! I know that God exists and I know how to create a better, more divine God! (Kardashev Scale)

But I’m not a Christian. In its most ubiquitous idea, I am Gnostic because I know God, but in the most narrow sense, I’m not some early Christian theologian either.

I’ve settled on calling myself “gnostical” because it’s the adjective-only form the word that describes someone who is NOT agnostic.

IndigoChild5559

That’s just it! I know that God exists and I know how to create a better, more divine God! (Kardashev Scale)

But I’m not a Christian. In its most ubiquitous idea, I am Gnostic because I know God, but in the most narrow sense, I’m not some early Christian theologian either.

I’ve settled on calling myself “gnostical” because it’s the adjective-only form the word that describes someone who is NOT agnostic.
Do you believe that special esoteric knowledge will save you? Do you think that spirit is good and material world is evil?

Exaltist Ethan

Do you believe that special esoteric knowledge will save you? Do you think that spirit is good and material world is evil?

My idea of divinity is that the physical is divine and there's no empiricism or credibility to what they call the spirit. My concept of becoming God isn't esoteric, although I seem to be the only one to really understand it.

Yeah, calling myself gnostic in any way is going to confuse people. Better not to use that word or its adjective 'gnostical'.

IndigoChild5559

My idea of divinity is that the physical is divine and there's no empiricism or credibility to what they call the spirit. My concept of becoming God isn't esoteric, although I seem to be the only one to really understand it.

Yeah, calling myself gnostic in any way is going to confuse people. Better not to use that word or its adjective 'gnostical'.
I really hate it when I ask clear yes/no questions, and people won't answer.