• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Germany's influence over the European Union?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In what ways does Germany dominate or almost rule the European Union? I've read in a magazine that essentially the European Union submits to Germany. Just wondering if you agree.

I don't know which sources to trust. There's a source that says the European Union is a "German Empire". Obviously I do NOT buy that, but wonder how powerful Germany is these days.
images (12).jpeg

Altfish

Veteran Member
In what ways does Germany dominate and rule the European Union? I've read in a magazine that essentially the European Union submits to Germany. Just wondering if you agree.

I don't know which sources to trust. There's a source that says the European Union is a "German Empire". Obviously I do NOT buy that, but wonder how powerful Germany is these days.
View attachment 26142
It is about to get a lot more powerful.

The UK was an equal partner, but we opted out of so many things that we were always EU-light. So, for example as we did not have the Euro, we lost some influence.
Germany is very strong economically but so is the UK - both because of the EU.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I believe that the UK's influence in the world will nose dive dramatically after Brexit, we will become a minor player in a world made up of powerful blocks.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The EU is a banking union. the 18% of the ECB stakes is held by the Deutsche Bundesbank, which is the only national bank in the Euro-zone that is allowed to buy government bonds (Bunds), even if it's forbidden by the art. 104 of the treaty of Maastricht.
Bankitalia or Banque de France are not allowed to do this...and this already shows a disparity of treatments.

Besides, the treaty of Maastricht forbids EU countries to put state capitalism into action, that is national governments cannot have the monopoly on certain sectors of industry because it allegedly violates the principles of free market.
By this rule, Germany keeps controlling strategic sectors of industry, and exporting 1\3 of its GDP.

mindlight

See in the dark
In what ways does Germany dominate or almost rule the European Union? I've read in a magazine that essentially the European Union submits to Germany. Just wondering if you agree.

View attachment 26142

Germanys commitment to the EU, its current economic strength and trade competitiveness and the longevity of its current leader give it considerable weight in Europe but it is not dominant.

Britains departure actually weakens Germanys position in some ways e.g britain was a net giver and Germany may have to pick up some of the slack and Britain supported many positions germany holds. In other ways it makes the French- German alliance at the heart of Europe more influential.

That said Macrons current position is precarious, Merkel will step down at the next election and the Eu faces many challenges right now.

It is far less an imperium than a club with leading members. Those leading members have troubles of their own right now.