• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "Funny"? To what standards?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As you know there is the button funny among the ratings possibilities...but the truth is...that we all come from different cultures...:)

So what is funny to my culture can sound inappropriate to say by other cultures...and vice versa.

If I have to be blunt..the kind of humor certain posters have is so eww...because it is not liked in my culture.:p

Vice versa...my jokes are not usually liked here or rated as funny..and yet my best friend literally die laughing when I tell them....:p

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
As you know there is the button funny among the ratings possibilities...but the truth is...that we all come from different cultures...:)

So what is funny to my culture can sound inappropriate to say by other cultures...and vice versa.

If I have to be blunt..the kind of humor certain posters have is so eww...because it is not liked in my culture.:p

Vice versa...my jokes are not usually liked here or rated as funny..and yet my best friend literally die laughing when I tell them....:p

Are you writing from prison? I have to ask, because I thought you could use jokes that cause literal death only during war.

Ciao

- viole

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
"What is funny?"

It's one of life's great mysteries. ( Although viole's post did receive a chortle I must admit ).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Are you writing from prison? I have to ask, because I thought you could use jokes that cause literal death only during war.

Ciao

- viole
Besides...you are living proof...if your husband is from Rome...and married a Swede...he can understand me perfectly...:p

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Besides...you are living proof...if your husband is from he can understand me perfectly...:p

My husband is from Rome, and he hates Monty Python, the owners of the killing joke. Bloody Romans, no sense of humor, lol.

Ciao

- viole

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My husband is from Rome, and he hates Monty Python, the owners of the killing joke. Bloody Romans, no sense of humor, lol.

Ciao

- viole
Exactly. A TRUE ROMAN.
I bet he prefers (as I do) this scene...especially...

- Ma che e'? Te s'e' engrassato er dito?
- Po esse
- Mo carza
:p:p:p

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Exactly. A TRUE ROMAN.
I bet he prefers (as I do) this scene...especially...

- Ma che e'? Te s'e' engrassato er dito?
- Po esse
- Mo carza
:p:p:p

Well, I can hardly understand what they say. A friend of mine from Monza, a supporter of your Salvini, asked that all such things, coming from Florence and more south, including the news reports, are always subtitled.

Ciao

- viole

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hey @Revoltingest ...join...tell us your take;)
I thought I knew what was intentionally funny here.
But then I saw a post loaded with feminist jargon.
It sounded funny.
But it could've been serious.
If I gave it a <funny> frubal, I could be sanctioned for abuse.
So without a <confused> rating, I just passed on by.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well, I can hardly understand what they say. A friend of mine from Monza, a supporter of your Salvini, asked that all such things, coming from Florence and more south, including the news reports, are always subtitled.

Ciao

- viole
Well maybe your husband can explain that scene to you:)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Funny is according to cultural standards.

The two parties in the US have developed different cultural standards, to where what a person in one party finds funny is completely humorless or crass to a member of the opposing party.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I thought I knew what was intentionally funny here.
But then I saw a post loaded with feminist jargon.
It sounded funny.
But it could've been serious.
If I gave it a <funny> frubal, I could be sanctioned for abuse.
So without a <confused> rating, I just passed on by.

It is rude I suppose to find humor in someone else's culture. One has to determine whether their humor is culturally appropriate. :D

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I will sure ask him to translate. He is a big fan of Alberto Sordi and Verdone, so I guess he likes comedies in incomprehensible dialect. :)

Ciao

- viole
That scene is realistic. That is the typical wedding of the Suburbanites , from Trastevere, or some parts of Tor Pignattara Tor Bella Monaca...
And..I have seen much worse honestly....in a church...:p

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That scene is realistic. That is the typical wedding of the Suburbanites , from Trastevere, or some parts of Tor Pignattara Tor Bella Monaca...
And..I have seen much worse honestly....in a church...:p

Ach, you Italians are so charming with your Monacas, Pignattaras, raccordi anularis, and such. :)

Bowever, I have to admit I get all weak if someone plays a serenata in italian for me, lol.

Ciao

- viole