• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is faith?

Yeshua's

As a believer in the God of Abraham, I use the definition found in His Word.

Hebrews 11:1-3

[FONT=&quot]Now 'emuwnah is confidence in what we expect and being convinced of what we do not see, because the zaqeniym testify by this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By 'emuwnah, we understand that the universe was prepared by haDbar of 'Elohiym, so that what is seen did not come into being out of what was visible.[/FONT]

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
To me, faith means profound trust. The kind that goes so deep it shapes your very self and guides all your actions.

I don't have faith that God exists, but I do have faith that God is good.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
To me, faith means profound trust. The kind that goes so deep it shapes your very self and guides all your actions.

I don't have faith that God exists, but I do have faith that God is good.

Faith is also not trust really... I don't have to trust something that I put faith in.

horizon_mj1

To fully have Faith, you must fully have trust in that Faith, or it is not Faith; it is nothing more than a belief, IMO. Hope is even less than a belief, for it is warranted under wishing for something. Faith is something you need to prove to yourself and not worry about what everyone else thinks (if that is something you choose to do) no matter where the subject in which your Faith lies.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
By definition....faith requires no proving.

Surely, this is not another 'prove God' thread?

anthony55

Faith is an allotment to a chosen People -

2 pet 1:

1Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

Notice, peter specifies to them that have obtained like precious Faith ! This should be a signal to any hones heart that Faith is not given to or for everyone, and that its from a source outside of ourselves, for its precious, and comes from a precious source..

Notice that peter says it's obtained !!

This is important, and lets look at this word obtain. It is the greek word:

Arrangement Nounlagchanō= which means:

to obtain by lot

a) to receive by divine allotment, obtain
2) to cast lots, determine by lot

Notice, to receive by Divine Allotment..So what is a Allotment ?

Websters says this :

A share set aside for a specific purpose.

and its synonyms:

Arrangement

Noun: arrangement; plan; preparation; disposal, disposition

So Faith is obtained by arrangement, Plan, or disposal..

You remember what proverbs says about casting Lots and there disposal ?

Prov 16:33

The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.

John gill says of this verse:

" but the whole disposing thereof [is] of the Lord;
or "the judgment" of it; the judgment that is to be made by it concerning persons or things; it being so directed and ordered by him as to fall upon the person it should; or to make known the thing in doubt and debate according to his will, in which all parties concerned should acquiesce. This is to be ascribed, not to blind chance and fortune, to the influence of the stars, or to any invisible created being, angel or devil, but to the Lord only; there is no such thing as chance, or events by chance; those events which seem most fortuitous or contingent are all disposed, ordered, and governed, by the sovereign will of God. "

One receives faith by the Sovereign will of God according to His plan and purpose for them..

This reminds me of the High Priest..He is said to obtain His office Heb 8:6

But now hath he [Jesus Christ] obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

This is regarding His Priesthood, and if we are familiar with the OT Priest hood, of which His was so much better, nevertheless we find that the priesthood was not for everyone, but it was alloted to the tribe of levi..

Only those from that tribe could obtain[receive] to the priesthood of God..

It was alloted to that tribe in the Sovereign arrangement of things..

and so it is with Faith, its alloted to the heirs of salvation 1:14

Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

This Faith is Precious because it communicates Divine realities in the unseen Spiritual Heavenly world where Gods Throne rules, realties otherwise by nature we could never have or believe in..

waitasec

Veteran Member
While that's a valid definition, I don't find it a particularly useful one.

Does the scientist have faith in evolution? Gravity?

maybe in the laws of evolution and gravity...not the idea in and of itself

a child has faith their parents will protect them. why? because they have proven themselves in that capacity...the standard, the law as it were

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
maybe in the laws of evolution and gravity...not the idea in and of itself

a child has faith their parents will protect them. why? because they have proven themselves in that capacity...the standard, the law as it were
That's what I'm saying. To merely accept something as true is not what I would consider faith.