• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is faith to you?

syo

I am in a state of, "I don't know if I believe in God".

Do you feel it, so you believe? Do you have rational reasons for believing? Do you believe in all the stories in your books, if you have them, and why?

Do you ever doubt that God may exist? How often do you think about God?
I have many questions regarding religions and I try to find answers.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
faith is confidence or trust placed in something or someone held to be valuable and worthy. everyone operates on faith; some in evidences, others in beliefs.

driving a car is an act of faith, that it was built right, even though you haven't inspected it thoroughly yourself.

The fact that religion uses the term does not make it a religious term, that's just ignorant.

faith is applied in loyal relationships based on known worthy character evidences. faith is merely confidence or trust in something or someone.

faith is a quality earned and deserved of high honor.

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
Faith is the belief in unsubstantiated premises, thoroughly illogical. For me faith in anything is potentially deleterious.

Corvus

faith is confidence or trust placed in something or someone held to be valuable and worthy. everyone operates on faith; some in evidences, others in beliefs.
Speak for yourself. I accept only theory as factual, until overturned. I do not believe in anything whatsoever. I have no faith in absolutely anything. Faith is toxic.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The fact that religion uses the term does not make it a religious term, that's just ignorant.
I agree.
However, the fact that religion alters the definition does make it a religious term.

Your attempt at conflation seems a bit dishonest.

Britedream

Faith comes out from prove, whether the prove is assumed or relized, and it increases or decreases as the evidence goes for it, or against it as the time goes by.

Corvus

Faith does not require proof, faith is not based on proofs. Faith is based on hope and or ignorant belief (Ie they are scientifically illiterate). Not all theists are scientifically illiterate. Hope oft disguised as some kind of spiritual intuition, is their driver, in my view.

Britedream

Faith does not require proof, faith is not based on proofs. Faith is based on hope and or ignorant belief (Ie they are scientifically illiterate). Not all theists are scientifically illiterate. Hope oft disguised as some kind of spiritual intuition, is their driver, in my view.

Sorry, you are missing my point. Please allow me to give an example to clarify:
if I prove to you that I can do complex math problems, if you have a hard math problem, you will come to me, not because you know I will solve it; I may not, but because of the faith that developed in you from proving to you my ability. This is why when God send a prophet, God gives him signs to prove that he is from God, for the people to believe him in what he says after that to be true; that they believe in what he says based on faith that developed due to the proof.

So now the prophet comes to the people and says to them there is a hell, they will not ask him for proof, they will believe him based on the faith that developed due to the proof. So it is true, faith does not need a proof, but to create it, proof is needed.

Last edited:

Corvus

This is why when God send a prophet, God gives him signs to prove that he is from God, for the people to believe him in what he says after that to be true; that they believe in what he says based on faith that developed due to the proof.
I have met no such prophet(s) to demonstrate any supernatural powers over reality or otherwise lead me to consider that God exists. I thus have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Unless you are referring to second hand information from third rate sources, such as the Bible or Koran?

Britedream

Mark 16:16

Christians who don't believe in faith, face Hell.

Ironic, eh?
Faith is a corner stone for many religions if not all; those religions that provide miracles ( signs) to prove a claim, you must have a faith after the proof to believe in what they tell you about the description of God ... ect. . Not having a faith, means rejecting the proof that was provided; so you will face Hell.

Britedream

I have met no such prophet(s) to demonstrate any supernatural powers over reality or otherwise lead me to consider that God exists. I thus have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Unless you are referring to second hand information from third rate sources, such as the Bible or Koran?
In one point you are correct; that is saying if I do not have a proof, I will not believe. but to assume your fact, there is no proof before learning more is not right. however, it is right to say, you provided me with books or otherise, that mention stories about something in the past that may be a proof to those who saw it, but to me it is just a story; I need a proof for me now that God exists. ( which is another subject for a thread to chat about; now we are talking about faith in general).

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I am in a state of, "I don't know if I believe in God".

Do you feel it, so you believe? Do you have rational reasons for believing? Do you believe in all the stories in your books, if you have them, and why?

Do you ever doubt that God may exist? How often do you think about God?
Faith is deciding to trust in hope, and to live accordingly.

Faith in God is not about being convinced of anything. It's about identifying the concept of God that you would hope to be true, and then deciding to trust in that hope with your thoughts, words, and actions. If doing so makes you a better person, and your life experience a better experience, then stick with it. If not, change the ideal you're hoping for and try again.

I don't know if God exists, or what God's nature might be if God exists. But I have determined for myself that love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity are "divine traits" within my experience of existence. So I choose to believe that these traits are reflections of a divine realm, or of a "divine being" if there is such a thing. And that's all I need. I can place my trust in those traits and try to live my life as an expression of them. And in doing so, I find that I am a better person, and that my life is significantly improved, for me and for everyone around me.

Faith isn't about pretending to have all the answers. It's about trusting in what we would hope to be the truth even though we don't know that it is. And then seeing if trusting in that hope works for us.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Faith is a corner stone for many religions if not all; those religions that provide miracles ( signs) to prove a claim, you must have a faith after the proof to believe in what they tell you about the description of God ... ect. . Not having a faith, means rejecting the proof that was provided; so you will face Hell.
The "proof," in most cases, occurred long ago, was witnessed by few and embellished with each retelling, by those with an agenda. It's less than hearsay; it's essentially folklore.
Moreover, with a prophet on every corner, preaching different truths, whom do you believe? With some claiming that only their specific doctrine will get you into Heaven, this is the most important decision you'll ever make.
Why seekers aren't clamoring for credible evidence and research projects is astonishing to me.
Faith is deciding to trust in hope, and to live accordingly.

Faith in God is not about being convinced of anything. It's about identifying the concept of God that you would hope to be true, and then deciding to trust in that hope with your thoughts, words, and actions. If doing so makes you a better person, and your life experience a better experience, then stick with it. If not, change the ideal you're hoping for and try again.
But it's more than just choosing a compatible lifestyle or which football team to support, it's your eternal life at stake.
The proper choice is crucial.

Britedream

The "proof," in most cases, occurred long ago, was witnessed by few and embellished with each retelling, by those with an agenda. It's less than hearsay; it's essentially folklore.
Moreover, with a prophet on every corner, preaching different truths, whom do you believe? With some claiming that only their specific doctrine will get you into Heaven, this is the most important decision you'll ever make.
Why seekers aren't clamoring for credible evidence and research projects is astonishing to me.
But it's more than just choosing a compatible lifestyle or which football team to support, it's your eternal life at stake.

You have a point to think the way you are thinking based on the info you have, and you are right the prophets should not be preaching something totaly different, since the sender is suppose to be the same. So there must be something wrong some where, that is a valid point for a discussion in some other time. I was posting my view regarding faith. again it is true that people may base their faith on a proof that they assume to be true, which is may not be true. But this is beside the point, which is faith has to spring out from assumed or relized proof, that was my point.

PureX

Veteran Member

Says who? Oh, right, it's those same guys that are then trying to sell you the "right answer".