• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is evil?

We Never Know

No Slack
In my opinion.....
-Dems think repubs are evil
-Repubs think dems are evil.
-Atheists think religions(people) are evil
-Religious people think atheist are evil
-Conspiracy people think the government is evil
-etc

-Mama thinks everything is the devil(evil) Just ask Bobby Boucher.

What really is evil? Is evil just a word we assign to something we don't like or agree with?

Note...
This wasn't put in a religious thread because evidently evil would still exist without religion.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
In my opinion.....
-etc

What really is evil? Is evil just a word we assign to something we don't like or agree with?

As a moral noncognitivist, I don't think the word is meaningful except as an exclamation.

I generally avoid the word, but since I consider preferences dealing with suffering, altruism, and empathy to be moral preferences, I would generally use the term to describe actions that are incongruent with altruism/empathy and which cause suffering.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Furthermore if I were to use the word, I wouldn't use it for a political opponent or a person just because they were religious unless their ideologies were highly incongruent with empathy/altruism (e.g. like a Nazi advocating for genocide) and which caused suffering.

In that sense, on my view, "evil" is a way to exclaim "wow, your values are really unempathetic, non-altruistic, and would cause a lot of suffering if you were allowed free reign."

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't believe that the devil exists.
I don't believe that anything in this world, in nature, can be 'evil', other than humans with higher intellect.

Evil people are those who have evil minds.
Honi soit qui mali pense.

We Never Know

No Slack
Furthermore if I were to use the word, I wouldn't use it for a political opponent or a person just because they were religious unless their ideologies were highly incongruent with empathy/altruism (e.g. like a Nazi advocating for genocide) and which caused suffering.

In that sense, on my view, "evil" is a way to exclaim "wow, your values are really unempathetic, non-altruistic, and would cause a lot of suffering if you were allowed free reign."

No other species sees anything as evil, not even killing. Its about survival.

We know evil is a human construct and we add to what we consider evil all the time and its mainly based on what we don't agree with.

While in reality if any other species could conceive what we call evil, we humans would be the poster child of evil...which may be why we see so much evil in others.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I don't use the word very often, but I have no qualms whatsoever calling deliberate actions resulting in unjustified harm to the innocent as evil.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Who can be 'evil'?
Babies? No
Infants? No
Mentally ill? No
Lower IQ? No

Only folks with nasty minds can see, hear, perceive or be..evil. :p

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think you are asking about intrinsic evil versus cultural good & evil.

Cultural good and evil varies over time. It was once good to sacrifice human beings to appease the gods. Now it's evil.

Theft is typically considered as evil. But if a third party who is destitute steals formula for a woman who is also destitute and can't get aid and thus saves her baby, I would call that theft good and not evil.

As the OP pointed out, what one group thinks of as good another thinks of as evil.

From all of that, the only thing I can think of as evil is when someone or a group maliciously and for personal pleasure degrades and harms another person or group.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
“Evil” is a word humans often use to describe the sides of human nature that they or others are most opposed to. It is often that the sides of human nature that people are expressing their opposition towards and subjectively perceiving as “evil” involve deriving personal gain or pleasure at the expense of human suffering, and/or the defying of certain laws or commonly accepted morals of a culture or nation.

These perspectives may blossom from wisdom. They might even be born of ignorance. In many they develop from some combination of these things.

Personally, I would rather not use the word. It fails to convey the entirety of a behavior in all its context, by compressing the description down into a simple, reductive, and highly subjective word that carries little meaning to me.

Erebus

To an extent.

I don't believe that morality is objective or that any action, thought or belief is intrinsically good or evil. Instead, we apply good and evil labels based on personal and cultural values.

I personally view some things and people as evil but it's not something I do lightly. While I inevitably dislike and disagree with anything I call evil, that alone isn't nearly enough for me to use the word. I dislike the music of Taylor Swift but that doesn't mean I think she's evil. I disagree with people who argue against universal basic income but that opposing view doesn't mean I see them as evil. For me to genuinely see something as evil, it pretty much has to fall into one of two categories:

1. Consciously and deliberately inflicting extreme suffering or destruction for personal gain, pleasure or sheer spite, particularly against those who have no way of defending themselves.

2. Apathy towards the extreme suffering or destruction that one has a direct hand in causing.

There's certainly room for interpretation in both those categories but I'll give a couple of examples to demonstrate where I'm coming from: Harold Shipman falls into the first category. Adolf Eichmann mostly falls into the second category.

Heyo

Veteran Member
In my opinion.....
Nope.
First, philosophically people are not good or evil, actions are. And most people don't do evil most of the time. Even religious people. They may be stupid - but not evil.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What really is evil?
'Evil' is the chaotic state of the world. This is symbolized by the chaos of creation myths around the world. Before light there is darkness. Before knowledge is ignorance. Childhood comes before adulthood. Evil is chaos, lawlessness, disorder, imbalance, wrecklessness, unconcern, coldness, indifference, hate, madness, violence, impatience and ignorance.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't believe that the devil exists.
I don't believe that anything in this world, in nature, can be 'evil', other than humans with higher intellect.

Evil people are those who have evil minds.
Honi soit qui mali pense.
On ose pas pense des gens malien! :D

Daemon Sophic

I’m not sure that evil can be more than just a human construct, which can only be defined by each of us, in our own minds.

Therefore IMHO:
I agree with @oldbadger , that natural things are not evil. (defining ‘natural’ as something not made by a human). Only people can be evil.
When a lion chases down your family, then kills and eats your 3 year-old girl, that is just nature. It is not evil.
When a man, who has no problem providing for himself and his family, decides (for whatever reason) to kidnap and kill your 3 year-old girl; that is evil. If he was schizophrenic and thought that God had commanded him to kill your little girl, I would still consider him evil and in need of immediate execution.

Often evil is defined (IMHO) by a complete disregard for the lives and feelings of others around you, while you continue to take actions (not to keep yourself alive, but rather) just to ‘entertain’ yourself in someway.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To value things as they truly are is goodness and to value things as your caprice desires with no proof is evil.

wellwisher

In my opinion.....
-etc

Note...
This wasn't put in a religious thread because evidently evil would still exist without religion.

Evil is a subjective value judgement, connected to learned knowledge; tree of knowledge of good and evil. Evil is not natural or instinctive but is connected to will power and choice. For example, some atheists and some religious may see each other as evil. This judgement is not based on objective laws of physics or nature. It is based on subjective group learning and the creation of herd memory. This value judgement is like a memory tattoo for group self identity. It implies you are the opposite or your group is good.

The human brain has two centers of consciousness; inner self and ego. The inner self is older and connected to instinct. All animals have an inner self. The ego is newer and evolved around the start of civilization. It is only common to humans. The ego is like the moon that orbits the earth. The ego is in a sense independent, but is also connected by gravity, to orbit the earth, forever. The ego, in turn, can create tides in the inner self, so both ego and inner self can evolve. However, the inner self like the earth's shoreline is very conservative due to DNA. It changes but very slowly. It is like a large ship that cannot turn on a dime; natural selection takes time. It is not driven by ego fads.

The operating system of the inner self is based on objective data and choices that are test proven over eons. These will maximize survival. If culture was disrupted, the ego would be repressed and the inner self would take over, until the pressure reduces.

The free will and choice of the ego allows for options that are not objective and instinctive, such as subjectivity and short term thinking. The inner self will include this data within its stockpiles, to get a new average. But like a large ship, it turns very slowly. The ego, on the other hand, can get immerse in the short term data, and think that is all there is or this is the new truth; fad.

A good example is the new fad connected to the umpteen genders and now all the needed pronouns to help each ego focus on the new fad. This is all ego. This has little to do with the inner self. The inner self has time averaged natural human behavior over eons, and not just the fads of the past 10 years. The ego can become immersed in its knowledge of good and evil, even if this conflicts with the objectivity of the inner self, creating an internal polarization; projection.

A new herd memory tattoo may appear among the group to help reenforce and compensate for inner self doubt. This may involve into value judgements of good and evil to make the ego subjectively good. Over time, this change in the tidal pattern of the moon;ego, may alter subroutines in the inner self. But this ego fad may not last long enough, due to the pull of the earth; inner self.

In my experience religion is more connected to the inner self. Religions all over the world try to reinforce ancient and long term human behavior patterns. For example, the Ten commandment have not changed within western religion. Atheism is more about the ego and inducing temporal changes in the tidal flow between the inner self and ego. Changes in the tide can build the land or erode it. The two; Atheism; change, and religion; large ship, provide checks and balances, so the changes in the tide, due to ego will and choice, can build more than erode. This cooperation between the ego and inner self helps to evolve the inner self; update the operating system of the human brain. For the ego, this is the return to paradise.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To run towards the light away from darkness is goodness, to run away from the light towards darkness is evil.