• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Detachment?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Below are some verses from the Writings of Baha’u’llah followed by some Bible verses that I believe are saying essentially the same thing about being detached from the world.

“It behoveth the people of Bahá to die to the world and all that is therein, to be so detached from all earthly things that the inmates of Paradise may inhale from their garment the sweet smelling savor of sanctity, that all the peoples of the earth may recognize in their faces the brightness of the All-Merciful, and that through them may be spread abroad the signs and tokens of God, the Almighty, the All-Wise. “
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 100

“We beseech God that He may graciously vouchsafe His grace unto all men, and enable them to attain the knowledge of Him and of themselves. By My life! Whoso hath known Him shall soar in the immensity of His love, and shall be detached from the world and all that is therein. Nothing on earth shall deflect him from his course, how much less they who, prompted by their vain imaginations, speak those things which God hath forbidden.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 205

John 12:24-25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Matthew 16:23-25 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

In John 12:24-25, I think Jesus was saying to die to our life in this world in order to attain eternal life, meaning not to be attached to these things.

In Matthew 16: 23-25, I think Jesus was saying to deny selfish desires, the things of the world that men savor that are not of God but rather of men. Instead one should follow Jesus in order to attain eternal life.

So that is detachment as it is laid out in some religious scriptures. I do not think that Jesus meant that we should literally hate this life and not enjoy what there is in this life to enjoy, I think it means that we should not be so attached to our life in this world that we consider them more important than God. If we love this life so much that we live only for the things of this world then we lose eternal life, which is nearness to God, because we only think about things that are associated with this world.

I am not suggesting that we should be so detached from the world that we do not take care of our health physical, mental, and emotional, or that we give up everything that is pleasurable. Baha’u’llah wrote that we should enjoy the ‘good things’ God has allowed us and as long as they don’t intervene between us and God and as long as they are allowed under the law.

I would like to hear what other people have to say about detachment. If religious believers have scriptures that refer to detachment, they can post them and explain what they think those scriptures mean. If anyone else has a concept of detachment that is not religious, I would like to hear that as well.

I think detachment means more than being detached from worldly things. I think it also means to be detached from sorrowful things that happen to us in this earthly life.

One way not to be sorrowful about the things that happen to us in life is to be detached from what has happened to us in the past, detached from what is happening to us in the present, and detached from what will happen to us in the future.

This is a subject near and dear to me because the only way I have survived the last 20 years is by being as detached as possible from what was happening. I was not always detached but the more I suffered the more I learned that the only way to survive was to be detached. This is related to having faith in God but that is not what this thread is intended to be about.

I am not saying I think we should be completely detached from what is happening in our lives, and I am focusing on the negative things that have the potential to cause suffering. For example, if we dwell on bad things that have happened in the past such as the loss of a loved one that is bound to cause grief and maybe even depression. The past is gone, so it does not have any real existence, it only exists in our minds.

Only the present exists. It is my contention that if one has troubles in the present, by being detached from what is happening one can mitigate suffering. We can also re-frame the problem so it is thought about in a different light as a way to mitigate suffering.

The future has no real existence since it is not here yet. Dwelling on what might happen in the future can cause fear and anxiety and one way to prevent that is by being detached about what might happen in the future. That doesn’t mean we don’t take necessary precautions, like managing our finances and taking care of our health in an effort to prevent diseases, but ultimately, we do not have much control over what happens to us in our lives. Even if we do not believe in God and that God determines our fate, there are many things that are beyond our control. In fact, I contend that most things in life are beyond our control. Many people seem to think they have control of their lives, but those are probably people who had things go the way they planned and wanted. We all know such people but that is certainly not true for all of us. :(

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Below are some verses from the Writings of Baha’u’llah followed by some Bible verses that I believe are saying essentially the same thing about being detached from the world.

“It behoveth the people of Bahá to die to the world and all that is therein, to be so detached from all earthly things that the inmates of Paradise may inhale from their garment the sweet smelling savor of sanctity, that all the peoples of the earth may recognize in their faces the brightness of the All-Merciful, and that through them may be spread abroad the signs and tokens of God, the Almighty, the All-Wise. “
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 100

“We beseech God that He may graciously vouchsafe His grace unto all men, and enable them to attain the knowledge of Him and of themselves. By My life! Whoso hath known Him shall soar in the immensity of His love, and shall be detached from the world and all that is therein. Nothing on earth shall deflect him from his course, how much less they who, prompted by their vain imaginations, speak those things which God hath forbidden.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 205

John 12:24-25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Matthew 16:23-25 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

In John 12:24-25, I think Jesus was saying to die to our life in this world in order to attain eternal life, meaning not to be attached to these things.

In Matthew 16: 23-25, I think Jesus was saying to deny selfish desires, the things of the world that men savor that are not of God but rather of men. Instead one should follow Jesus in order to attain eternal life.

So that is detachment as it is laid out in some religious scriptures. I do not think that Jesus meant that we should literally hate this life and not enjoy what there is in this life to enjoy, I think it means that we should not be so attached to our life in this world that we consider them more important than God. If we love this life so much that we live only for the things of this world then we lose eternal life, which is nearness to God, because we only think about things that are associated with this world.

I am not suggesting that we should be so detached from the world that we do not take care of our health physical, mental, and emotional, or that we give up everything that is pleasurable. Baha’u’llah wrote that we should enjoy the ‘good things’ God has allowed us and as long as they don’t intervene between us and God and as long as they are allowed under the law.

I would like to hear what other people have to say about detachment. If religious believers have scriptures that refer to detachment, they can post them and explain what they think those scriptures mean. If anyone else has a concept of detachment that is not religious, I would like to hear that as well.

I think detachment means more than being detached from worldly things. I think it also means to be detached from sorrowful things that happen to us in this earthly life.

One way not to be sorrowful about the things that happen to us in life is to be detached from what has happened to us in the past, detached from what is happening to us in the present, and detached from what will happen to us in the future.

This is a subject near and dear to me because the only way I have survived the last 20 years is by being as detached as possible from what was happening. I was not always detached but the more I suffered the more I learned that the only way to survive was to be detached. This is related to having faith in God but that is not what this thread is intended to be about.

I am not saying I think we should be completely detached from what is happening in our lives, and I am focusing on the negative things that have the potential to cause suffering. For example, if we dwell on bad things that have happened in the past such as the loss of a loved one that is bound to cause grief and maybe even depression. The past is gone, so it does not have any real existence, it only exists in our minds.

Only the present exists. It is my contention that if one has troubles in the present, by being detached from what is happening one can mitigate suffering. We can also re-frame the problem so it is thought about in a different light as a way to mitigate suffering.

The future has no real existence since it is not here yet. Dwelling on what might happen in the future can cause fear and anxiety and one way to prevent that is by being detached about what might happen in the future. That doesn’t mean we don’t take necessary precautions, like managing our finances and taking care of our health in an effort to prevent diseases, but ultimately, we do not have much control over what happens to us in our lives. Even if we do not believe in God and that God determines our fate, there are many things that are beyond our control. In fact, I contend that most things in life are beyond our control. Many people seem to think they have control of their lives, but those are probably people who had things go the way they planned and wanted. We all know such people but that is certainly not true for all of us. :(
People need to work much harder on detachment as they are much too attached on the matter.

PearlSeeker

This is what comes to mind - Jesus (NT Bible):

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

/... / “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is life not more than food, and the body more than clothing?" (Mt 6)

Detachment is not just having little possession or giving to the poor. It's an inner state (poverty in spirit):

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Mt 5)

The future has no real existence since it is not here yet. Dwelling on what might happen in the future can cause fear and anxiety and one way to prevent that is by being detached about what might happen in the future.
There are also some verses about this aspect:

“No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” (Lk 9)

"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Mt 6)

"Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; but only one thing is necessary; for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Lk 10)

This is also about mindfulness. Being in the now. Undistracted. Modern life has many distractions. Also technological...

A prayer by St. Teresa of Avila:

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This is what comes to mind - Jesus (NT Bible):

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

/... / “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is life not more than food, and the body more than clothing?" (Mt 6)

Detachment is not just having little possession or giving to the poor. It's an inner state (poverty in spirit):

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Mt 5)

There are also some verses about this aspect:

“No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” (Lk 9)

"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Mt 6)

"Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; but only one thing is necessary; for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Lk 10)

This is also about mindfulness. Being in the now. Undistracted. Modern life has many distractions. Also technological...

A prayer by St. Teresa of Avila:

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad somebody showed up at my party. ;)
I think detachment is a very important topic but apparently it is not a topic of interest to many people. People here are too busy talking about evidence and proof for God, but even if no God exists, detachment is useful for living everyday life.

I think the same messages about detachment can be found in both the Bible and the Baha'i Writings, although I don't know all of what is in either texts.

I especially like these verses and they are very pertinent to my life.

I cannot afford to look back, and if I look back there is nothing but pain to look back on, for as long as I can remember.

That is another good verse, and especially applies to my life.
I see no purpose in dwelling on old memories as the past is gone.

Embedded in our minds is what we learned from those experiences so there is no need to revisit them. I guess if people have nice memories they might want to think about them once in a while, but I cannot remember anything that far back. Although I do have some nice memories of childhood when we used to go to a cabin on a lake in Canada, but those were fleeting moments in time.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Imo, people need to work much harder on detachment as they are much too attached to the things of this ephemeral world.
I tried to detach myself from one of the things of this ephemeral world, already. Namely, from breathing oxygen.
With mixed results.

ciao

- viole

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I tried to detach myself from one of the things of this ephemeral world, already. Namely, from breathing oxygen.
With mixed results.

ciao

- viole
I was not suggesting that. We all have to eat, drink, sleep, and breathe. Everything else is optional.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
'
We all have to eat, drink, sleep, and breathe 'while we are living in this physical world' because we have physical bodies that require that we do.
Ok. Do you think we will need detachment also when we, well you, will live in a not physical world?

Ciao

- viole

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
With mixed results.

ciao

- viole

Well, I doubt the objective reality totally in any sense. In fact, I did that already as a baby when I in effect jumped from a cliff and died. Yet I am still here.

The problem is that reality is not always just about what can kill you, so if we agree on that some things can kill you, that is only limited for some things.
Now the moment you enter the mental and psychology it gets more individual and not universally objective in some cases. You do know that, right?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ok. Do you think we will need detachment also when we, well you, will live in a not physical world?

Ciao

- viole
No, I do not think we will need detachment when we are living in the spiritual world since there will be nothing to be detached from.