• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Deism?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's a belief in the existence of a god on the evidence of reason and nature only, and rejects supernatural revelation. It holds that god is indifferent towards the world and does not intervene or interact with it.

nnmartin

The definition given here sounds fairly God-like to me. Just one that doesn't intervene in human affairs.

Surely this nameless God can be revered - a bit like Gaia worship except on a larger scale...

Deism i/ˈdiːɪzəm/[1][2] in religious philosophy is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of an all-powerful creator. According to deists, the creator does not intervene in human affairs or suspend the natural laws of the universe. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending instead to assert that a god (or "the Supreme Architect") does not alter the universe by intervening in it. This idea is also known as the Clockwork universe theory, in which a god designs and builds the universe, but steps aside to let it run on its own. Two main forms of deism currently exist: classical deism and modern deism

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The definition given here sounds fairly God-like to me. Just one that doesn't intervene in human affairs.

Surely this nameless God can be revered - a bit like Gaia worship except on a larger scale...

There can be a big difference between reverence and worship.

Deism i/ˈdiːɪzəm/[1][2] in religious philosophy is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of an all-powerful creator. According to deists, the creator does not intervene in human affairs or suspend the natural laws of the universe. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending instead to assert that a god (or "the Supreme Architect") does not alter the universe by intervening in it. This idea is also known as the Clockwork universe theory, in which a god designs and builds the universe, but steps aside to let it run on its own. Two main forms of deism currently exist: classical deism and modern deism
Don't forget to provide sources. Deism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also note " Deists typically reject supernatural events..."

nnmartin

There does seem to be a God in Deism though.

Just that once the universe is created then it kind of backs off.

sounds not a great deal different from most of the other Gods in the various religions (apart from a belief that they are personal).

I quite like this idea - that there is a God concept in our own chosen man-made or personal religion yet above all that there is the Master of the Universe.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Deism rejects the anthropomorphism of "god". And it can even be said that it is quite likely that the deistic concept of god cannot interfere in our universe, being outside of it.

nnmartin

I believe there to be an immanent power, God or Force in the Universe - this is what causes things to happen and comes from a Deistic Eternal Source.

Our religions have a way of tapping into this Force.

Last edited:

nnmartin

ok, thanks

a lot of confusing language here but I would say that panendeism seems to fit with what I believe (more or less)

hard to tell the difference though really:eek:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Far be it from me to fall into the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.
But typically, what you describe as "Force" would fall outside of most modern deistic beliefs.

nnmartin

it's difficult to define what I believe really.

Semi-deistic Overlord, immanent Force, Christianity, Paganism, some Gnosticism and New Age thrown in for good measure.

any ideas???

Christo-Paganism seems to sum it up but I feel that those two beliefs almost cancel each other out.

Last edited:

Inthedark

Christian Deism - I stumbled across this recently and realised it resonated with my personal thoughts. God, whatever your concept of that is, as first cause in the universe. Jesus (by no means alone in these terms) as an enlightened individual who taught the masses about God as he saw it. No supernatural acts or miracles, just reason and what you observe in nature. Worship if you wish, pray or meditate if you wish (although I see that praying tends to be giving thanks or reflecting rather than requesting anything). They use a lot of metaphor in their interpretation of scripture.

It seems very individual tailored and modern, and yet it is a very old idea.

The founding fathers were thought to have Deist views of their faith. To me they seem far more sophisticated thinkers than the current crop in power. Of course this may have something to do with the number of Freemasons involved in the formation of what is the USA and their Rosicrucian influences.

:shrug:

CDWolfe

Progressive Deist
Deism is not a religion or denomination. It is a way of thinking; a philosophical belief. At its core, deism agrees that there is a god (higher power) but that God does not interfere with the universe. He made it, put everything in motion, and has moved on to other things.

The laws of nature were made by God, which would include the Big Bang theory, evolution and creationism. It does not matter which you prefer to believe in, God started it all. Ironically, that is where it ends with Him. He could care less what happens to His "science project" that we know as the universe. Free will governs everyone's actions.

That is deism in a nutshell. It coincides with science more readily than orthodox Christianity. Things are actually a lot easier to understand and accept under a deistic approach.

Edit: and the poster above me is right...both Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson were self proclaimed deists.

Last edited:
What is Deism?

Here's a definition from the website of World Union of Deists (WUD).

Deism is the recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind, supported by personal observation of laws and designs in nature and the universe, perpetuated and validated by the innate ability of human reason coupled with the rejection of claims made by individuals and organized religions of having received special divine revelation. (deism.com)