• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Chaos Magick?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I'm a curious cat. Can I get a definition of it and how one would practice it? Thanks :)

I'm not a practitioner nor believer in it but here is a definition I found:

Chaos magic, also spelled chaos magick, is a postmodern magical tradition which emphasizes the pragmatic use of belief systems and the creation of new and unorthodox methods.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I'm not a practitioner nor believer in it but here is a definition I found:

Chaos magic, also spelled chaos magick, is a postmodern magical tradition which emphasizes the pragmatic use of belief systems and the creation of new and unorthodox methods.
That's a good definition

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm a curious cat. Can I get a definition of it and how one would practice it? Thanks :)
I think this may cover it:

"a magickal spirituality with little or no set-in-stone ritual,dogma,deities, or any other object of faith to which the initiate is bound. The chaos magician only places faith in himself. It is generally agreed among chaos magicians that magick is a process of the psyche, not a nebulous 'spirit' or some such thing. All older magickal paths are seen by chaos initiates as different forms of the same psychic process, which may be imitated with any and all forms of ritual and symbolism that hold a personal meaning for the magician. Gods and ceremonial equipment, if present at all, are seen as symbolic, psychological tools used as vehicles into the magician's inner potential. Once this potential is fully realized, the God of use may simply be tossed aside.... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chaos+Magick"

Sounds like spontenous naturalistic rituals using psychological and symbolic actions based on intent rather than religious motivations, focuses, and culture.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@RedDragon94

How do you practice it? My guess the closest example I can think of heavy use of visualization and intent. Say you want to do a "spell" to heal your friend. Instead of thinking there is something spiritual behind what you do, the items you use and how you use them are symbolic in your intent to heal your friend. Its like using a vodun doll without believing there is anything supernatual in doing so. The doll is a symbol of the person youre helping or hurting and the ritual is symbolic to the actual act of helping or hurting. The goal is a psychological intention to help or hurt whomever you pretended the doll to be. That, and as a choas magician you know what you have is a doll that does not do anything in and of itself. It serves a psychological purpose for intent.

A natualist's prayer done by ritual.

I dont practice it. However, thats how I interpret it unless someone who practices it can chime in.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Chaos magick is magic made to fit with pop psychology and then sold as an occult text.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So it's not a legitimate occult art in your view?

I mean, it can be a good starting place for sure. Chaos magick works, it simply fits squarely within a psychological framework. To illustrate, say that I invoke Thoth before writing an essay, as he is the god of writing. It quite possible my essay will be better than it would have been,as my invocation has boosted my confidence. Now say that you are doing a ritual in your home while suicidally depressed. You reach out for aid, and suddenly a switch flips in your mind, bring back your self worth, changing your perception, etc. This is *not* something that can be explained purely by psychology, it suggests outside interaction. This is real magic.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
More things to consider ...some catch phrases . Fake it till ya make. Suspension of disbelief. Belief is a tool.

Gyrannon

Agnostic Necromancer
Think of the word Chaos - Its with you & against you at the same time. It gives peace & brings madness at the same time. It can't be controlled, it demands freedom is the truest sense. Order is the opposite of Chaos.

Now think of Chaos Magick, should be pretty easy to guess at what it is.

GoodbyeDave

I read Peter Carroll's Liber kaos way back when, although I never practiced it. I think the Wikipedia article is a pretty fair summary. I think the realisation that you don't need all that accumulated symbolism in the Western Magical Tradition was very liberating. If magic is the application of Will, then whatever enables you to apply it is all you need.