• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Bullying? And Why Do Children Do It (As Well As Adults)?

james bond

Bullying is defined as abuse and mistreatment of someone vulnerable by someone stronger and more powerful. The first time we are exposed to it is usually as children. I've heard it described as a rite of passage for teens. Adults do it to an extent in social media, politics, religion and society in general. Maybe I first read about it in detail in The Lord of the Flies. Recently, I saw a video of The Gift where there is an underlying story of bullying.

Some outrageous crime or incident involving bullying takes place, but it is quickly dismissed and put aside until someone decides to speak out against it. And what are the motivations behind it? One factor can be meanness. Another could be intoxication or drunkenness. Another could be foul mood or disposition. Another could be selfishness where the bully gets some kind of reward such as payment for not meting out the consequences.

What are the factors to it being a rite of passage? What effects, both physical and psychological can remain to the victim as well as the perpetrator? Can it lead to suicide of the victim? How can we help the victim? How can we help the perpetrator so they do not do it again?

If laws against is part of the solution, then what defines the bullying act trom one of violence? For example, one robs another at gun point. The victim gives up his valuables willingly out of fear. The perpetrator still beats the victim. Is that bullying or does it have to involve some other factor such as the person being disabled, a minority group, or just dressing different be part of it? In other words, a vulnerability or being different from the norm whatever that is? Do we or can we distinguish from it from hate crimes, sexual harassment or religious persecution? Intent or motivations of the perpetrator may not be easily determined, so is there some physical factor we can use? The victim may not be another person, but it could be an animal. We have laws against cruelty to animals, so how can bullying of animals be distinguished from cruelty? Should we have a separate designation? I guess I bring it up here because of having to face it local news and media yesterday and then watching the movie The Gift. Is it so common that we are all victims or perpetrators to some degree since we call it a rite of passage? Is there some kind of morality involved?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Bullying is defined as abuse and mistreatment of someone vulnerable by someone stronger and more powerful. The first time we are exposed to it is usually as children. I've heard it described as a rite of passage for teens. Adults do it to an extent in social media, politics, religion and society in general. Maybe I first read about it in detail in The Lord of the Flies. Recently, I saw a video of The Gift where there is an underlying story of bullying.

I think bullying is the result of insecurity, possibly due to earlier bullying by older siblings or parents. I was bullied in elementary school (both by peers and by my older brother), but as I grew stronger and larger in junior high, I toughened up. After knocking down a few of my former tormentors, bullies stopped bothering me. I even had to pull a knife on my brother a few times to get him to back off. Ultimately, most bullies are wimps; they're not prepared or willing to fight to the death, and therein lies their weakness.

By the time I got to high school, we moved to a different state where no one knew me, but somehow, everyone knew not to mess with me. I was not a bully myself, but I made it clear that I was not going to put up with any crap from anyone. But at least I was able to concentrate more on my schoolwork, and my grades improved quite a bit.

Some outrageous crime or incident involving bullying takes place, but it is quickly dismissed and put aside until someone decides to speak out against it.

Or until some unfortunate victim of a bully decides to fight back - sometimes using much greater force than the bully, possibly involving the use of weapons (knives, guns). My opinion is that those who turn the blind eye to light or moderate bullying have no room to complain if the violence escalates or becomes more extreme.

And what are the motivations behind it? One factor can be meanness. Another could be intoxication or drunkenness. Another could be foul mood or disposition. Another could be selfishness where the bully gets some kind of reward such as payment for not meting out the consequences.

It could be any number of things. I would suggest that the social hierarchy that is fostered and encouraged in schools might be part of the problem. You have your jocks and tough guys thinking they can lord it over the "wimps" or others who may be socially awkward or inept in some way, which makes some believe that they have license to abuse, ridicule, or bully them.

Some might argue that there's a certain biological imperative, especially since boys are often socialized to want to be fighters or warriors. Someone who is seen as weak among their peer group could be a weak link that needs to be strengthened. Think of the movie Full Metal Jacket and the treatment received by the character of "Private Pyle." A weak link in the platoon in a critical combat situation might cause the whole platoon to get wiped out, so there may be a natural tendency among men to want to shore up those weak links among their ranks.

What are the factors to it being a rite of passage? What effects, both physical and psychological can remain to the victim as well as the perpetrator? Can it lead to suicide of the victim? How can we help the victim? How can we help the perpetrator so they do not do it again?

It can definitely have some profound psychological effects which can last an entire lifetime. Suicide is also a very real consequence. I think both the victims and perpetrators (who are likely former victims anyway) can be helped by enforcing better discipline and rules in schools and in society at large. Perhaps even issuing fines to parents each time their child breaks the rules might be a way of reining in a lot of bad behavior. A "problem child" is the result of bad parenting, so the parents should be held accountable for their kids' misdeeds. Put the spotlight more on the parents. Put their pictures in the papers, publicly shame them for spawning their "devil child" - whatever it takes. Perhaps even short jail terms of 30 or 60 days might drive the point home.

If laws against is part of the solution, then what defines the bullying act trom one of violence? For example, one robs another at gun point. The victim gives up his valuables willingly out of fear. The perpetrator still beats the victim. Is that bullying or does it have to involve some other factor such as the person being disabled, a minority group, or just dressing different be part of it?

If they're bullying someone for a disability or being part of a minority group, then they would be dealt with as hate crimes. Perhaps bullying itself might be deemed a hate crime and punished accordingly.

Another thing we could try is redefining and rethinking the definitions of terms such as "victim" and "perpetrator."

We might also have to change our perceptions and differentiate between those who instigate or initiate confrontations versus those who are merely responding or fighting back.

The way laws are currently enforced and perceived, there is little distinction made for that, and that's where the problem lies. The laws allowing for self-defense or stand your ground don't really go far enough. We're a society so obsessively fearful of so-called "vigilante justice" that we go out of our way to make sure that these instigators and perpetrators are protected. This cuts to the very core of the problem, in my opinion.

In other words, a vulnerability or being different from the norm whatever that is? Do we or can we distinguish from it from hate crimes, sexual harassment or religious persecution?

They might be different situations, but they all stem from the same toleration of lawlessness and abusive behavior.

Intent or motivations of the perpetrator may not be easily determined, so is there some physical factor we can use? The victim may not be another person, but it could be an animal. We have laws against cruelty to animals, so how can bullying of animals be distinguished from cruelty? Should we have a separate designation? I guess I bring it up here because of having to face it local news and media yesterday and then watching the movie The Gift. Is it so common that we are all victims or perpetrators to some degree since we call it a rite of passage? Is there some kind of morality involved?

I never saw The Gift. Animals may be in a different category, since humans commonly hunt animals, use them for food, or (if they're lucky) as slave labor or entertainment. And despite our supposed "love" of animals as pets, we consider it "humane" to euthanize them if they're sick - or if there's just too many of them that nobody wants. We don't do that with humans, as such would be considered most heinous and egregious.

I'll admit that I get outraged when I hear stories of abused animals. I remember a while back someone found a litter of dead puppies that were evidently tortured and died slow, agonizing deaths at the hands of some sick person or persons. Donations were taken in order to offer some sort of reward so they could find out whoever did it, but I don't think anyone was ever found.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Bullying is defined as abuse and mistreatment of someone vulnerable by someone stronger and more powerful.
Or someone who thinks they are, anyway.

Maybe I first read about it in detail in The Lord of the Flies.
You only had to read about it?

And what are the motivations behind it?
Narcissism and poor impulse control. And depending on the victim, a dose of stupidity.

What are the factors to it being a rite of passage?
Predatory behaviors being conflated with adulthood?

Father: Now, son, we have to beat the crap out of your classmate.

Son: Um, why?

Father: So you can be a man.

Son: I'm 9.

Father: Just like how the hunting tribes prove their manliness by killing a lion threatening the tribe, we must do the same.

Son: He's also 9.

Father (brings out half an armory): This ought to do it.

Son: *sighs*

Can it lead to suicide of the victim?
Yes, though if the victim is a better fighter, it can also lead to the death of the bully.

How can we help the victim?
Dunno. Never experienced help.

How can we help the perpetrator so they do not do it again?
I wonder if it's possible, to be honest. By the time you've been raised to believe it's okay, it's hard to counter that.

Ultimately, most bullies are wimps; they're not prepared or willing to fight to the death, and therein lies their weakness.
Amen. They are often very uncreative. The entire world can be a weapon if you are good at improv. :)

By the time I got to high school, we moved to a different state where no one knew me, but somehow, everyone knew not to mess with me.
My brother is very stocky, like farm-boy muscles or something. He got put in jail once for a DUI. The airbag had lacerated his cheek and from he told me, he was quite a mess. In jail, the ONLY one to talk to him (still, at a distance) was some Michael Clarke Duncan-like dude, LOL. My brother scares kids, even when he's just standing there. He even protected our labs from some angry rottweilers just by standing his ground and they backed off.

I am totally the opposite of everything he is, physically, LOL. I'm not scared of him ... except when he sleepwalks. He can lift me (over 200lbs) over his head when he's awake, but when he's sleepwalking he's the Incredible Hulk. Best to stay on the opposite side of the room from him until he goes back to bed. :)

I tend to fight smarter, not harder. If my brother fights like a rhino, I fight like a snake: just sit back, wait, bite something important, go back to sleep. :p

You have your jocks and tough guys thinking they can lord it over the "wimps" or others who may be socially awkward or inept in some way, which makes some believe that they have license to abuse, ridicule, or bully them.
And yet will probably be working for the geeks later in life :p

A "problem child" is the result of bad parenting, so the parents should be held accountable for their kids' misdeeds.
Well, first determine whether it's a parenting issue or a mental issue.

And despite our supposed "love" of animals as pets, we consider it "humane" to euthanize them if they're sick - or if there's just too many of them that nobody wants. We don't do that with humans, as such would be considered most heinous and egregious.
Actually, being a nurse, I find we are much kinder to animals, releasing their suffering far more often than we do with our own loved ones. I've had to see far too much torturous deaths to consider "they have to live regardless" to be the moral option.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Our God given Nature.
If there is a God.
If there is a God, He makes us how we are. He makes us, each individually, with the limited perceptions and knowledge and such that result in bullying behavior.
I've done it. It's been done to me. If there is an Almighty God, He makes all of us exactly how we are.

I find it more plausible to believe that there is no God who cares what we do or believe. The evidence is everywhere, far easier to see than your god image.
Tom

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My brother is very stocky, like farm-boy muscles or something. He got put in jail once for a DUI. The airbag had lacerated his cheek and from he told me, he was quite a mess. In jail, the ONLY one to talk to him (still, at a distance) was some Michael Clarke Duncan-like dude, LOL. My brother scares kids, even when he's just standing there. He even protected our labs from some angry rottweilers just by standing his ground and they backed off.

I am totally the opposite of everything he is, physically, LOL. I'm not scared of him ... except when he sleepwalks. He can lift me (over 200lbs) over his head when he's awake, but when he's sleepwalking he's the Incredible Hulk. Best to stay on the opposite side of the room from him until he goes back to bed. :)

I tend to fight smarter, not harder. If my brother fights like a rhino, I fight like a snake: just sit back, wait, bite something important, go back to sleep. :p

Looking back, I think it may have been my size and somewhat "hardened" attitude, as I came from a tough school in a tough neighborhood (and had an abusive older brother), then moved to a more laid-back and mellow school in a somewhat nicer area (and half the student body was stoned much of the time). By then, my brother was somewhat out of the picture, and in any case, I had grown bigger and taller than he was, so he no longer had that advantage on me. I think my brother even realized and later expressed some measure of regret over a lot of what happened in those early years.

And yet will probably be working for the geeks later in life :p

Some will be. Some bullies might flock together with other bullies and form gangs - and end up killing each other or going to prison. If they're from rich families, they might go into politics. Or they might go into security or law enforcement, if they're convinced early enough to stay on the right side of the law.

Well, first determine whether it's a parenting issue or a mental issue.

That's true, although I can personally attest to the utter hell life can be for a child who has screwed-up parents. Something somewhere goes wrong, perhaps due to abuse, neglect; or it could be a mental issue or even too much violence on TV, too much sugar in breakfast cereals - or any number of causes.

When I think of a lot of the jerks and a--holes from my younger days, I remember their parents being kind of the same way. It wasn't always the case, though.

Actually, being a nurse, I find we are much kinder to animals, releasing their suffering far more often than we do with our own loved ones. I've had to see far too much torturous deaths to consider "they have to live regardless" to be the moral option.

I remember we had a dog who was clearly on her last legs and dying, but my step-mother was especially close to that dog and couldn't bear the thought of taking her in to be put to sleep. She said she was hoping for some kind of "miracle" which was not forthcoming. It's a tough situation for any pet owner, as their dog or cat is viewed as one of the family, but it's heartbreaking to watch any living thing suffer like that.

But with humans who are in a similar situation, there may be those who also hope for some kind of "miracle cure" which can save their dying loved one at the last moment.

james bond

I think bullying is the result of insecurity, possibly due to earlier bullying by older siblings or parents. I was bullied in elementary school (both by peers and by my older brother), but as I grew stronger and larger in junior high, I toughened up. After knocking down a few of my former tormentors, bullies stopped bothering me. I even had to pull a knife on my brother a few times to get him to back off. Ultimately, most bullies are wimps; they're not prepared or willing to fight to the death, and therein lies their weakness.

By the time I got to high school, we moved to a different state where no one knew me, but somehow, everyone knew not to mess with me. I was not a bully myself, but I made it clear that I was not going to put up with any crap from anyone. But at least I was able to concentrate more on my schoolwork, and my grades improved quite a bit.

Or until some unfortunate victim of a bully decides to fight back - sometimes using much greater force than the bully, possibly involving the use of weapons (knives, guns). My opinion is that those who turn the blind eye to light or moderate bullying have no room to complain if the violence escalates or becomes more extreme.

It could be any number of things. I would suggest that the social hierarchy that is fostered and encouraged in schools might be part of the problem. You have your jocks and tough guys thinking they can lord it over the "wimps" or others who may be socially awkward or inept in some way, which makes some believe that they have license to abuse, ridicule, or bully them.

Some might argue that there's a certain biological imperative, especially since boys are often socialized to want to be fighters or warriors. Someone who is seen as weak among their peer group could be a weak link that needs to be strengthened. Think of the movie Full Metal Jacket and the treatment received by the character of "Private Pyle." A weak link in the platoon in a critical combat situation might cause the whole platoon to get wiped out, so there may be a natural tendency among men to want to shore up those weak links among their ranks.

It can definitely have some profound psychological effects which can last an entire lifetime. Suicide is also a very real consequence. I think both the victims and perpetrators (who are likely former victims anyway) can be helped by enforcing better discipline and rules in schools and in society at large. Perhaps even issuing fines to parents each time their child breaks the rules might be a way of reining in a lot of bad behavior. A "problem child" is the result of bad parenting, so the parents should be held accountable for their kids' misdeeds. Put the spotlight more on the parents. Put their pictures in the papers, publicly shame them for spawning their "devil child" - whatever it takes. Perhaps even short jail terms of 30 or 60 days might drive the point home.

If they're bullying someone for a disability or being part of a minority group, then they would be dealt with as hate crimes. Perhaps bullying itself might be deemed a hate crime and punished accordingly.

Another thing we could try is redefining and rethinking the definitions of terms such as "victim" and "perpetrator."

We might also have to change our perceptions and differentiate between those who instigate or initiate confrontations versus those who are merely responding or fighting back.

The way laws are currently enforced and perceived, there is little distinction made for that, and that's where the problem lies. The laws allowing for self-defense or stand your ground don't really go far enough. We're a society so obsessively fearful of so-called "vigilante justice" that we go out of our way to make sure that these instigators and perpetrators are protected. This cuts to the very core of the problem, in my opinion.

They might be different situations, but they all stem from the same toleration of lawlessness and abusive behavior.

I never saw The Gift. Animals may be in a different category, since humans commonly hunt animals, use them for food, or (if they're lucky) as slave labor or entertainment. And despite our supposed "love" of animals as pets, we consider it "humane" to euthanize them if they're sick - or if there's just too many of them that nobody wants. We don't do that with humans, as such would be considered most heinous and egregious.

I'll admit that I get outraged when I hear stories of abused animals. I remember a while back someone found a litter of dead puppies that were evidently tortured and died slow, agonizing deaths at the hands of some sick person or persons. Donations were taken in order to offer some sort of reward so they could find out whoever did it, but I don't think anyone was ever found.

I'm trying to gather information, so I do like your explaining your experiences. Thank you. What I'm thinking about is starting discussions about bullying at local schools, especially middle and high schools where the bullying is more severe. Adults aren't able to monitor every situation in the playground, hallway, in the streets and other places. By the time a confrontation occurs, then it may be too late. However, if the victim knows about the bullying, then they may be recognize it could be a crime or more serious situation and seek help from their parents or someone at school, instead of thinking that it's something that they have to cope with by themselves.

For a hate crime, the FBI becomes involved. "Traditionally, FBI investigations of hate crimes were limited to crimes in which the perpetrators acted based on a bias against the victim’s race, color, religion, or national origin. In addition, investigations were restricted to those wherein the victim was engaged in a federally protected activity. With the passage of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, the Bureau became authorized to investigate these crimes without this prohibition. This landmark legislation also expanded the role of the FBI to allow for the investigation of hate crimes committed against those based on biases of actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or gender." There may be some aspect of bullying, but I think the anti-bullying laws are all local. Teasing is considered bullying, but may not be a crime by itself. Other aspects are threatening, taunting, name calling, stealing, damaging of belongings and hitting. This is usually male behavior. For females, it is usually the spreading of rumors and telling others to reject the victim as not talk with them or invite them to social activities. Thus, it may not escalate to the point of it being criminal behavior, but anti-social behavior. I think the solution is discussing it and getting information out on what bullying is and the serious consequences it could lead to.

Last edited:

james bond

>>Or someone who thinks they are, anyway.

You only had to read about it?

james bond said:
And what are the motivations behind it?
Narcissism and poor impulse control. And depending on the victim, a dose of stupidity.

james bond said:
Predatory behaviors being conflated with adulthood?

Father: Now, son, we have to beat the crap out of your classmate.

Son: Um, why?

Father: So you can be a man.

Son: I'm 9.

Father: Just like how the hunting tribes prove their manliness by killing a lion threatening the tribe, we must do the same.

Son: He's also 9.

Father (brings out half an armory): This ought to do it.

Son: *sighs*

james bond said:
Can it lead to suicide of the victim?
Yes, though if the victim is a better fighter, it can also lead to the death of the bully.

james bond said:
How can we help the victim?
Dunno. Never experienced help.

james bond said:
How can we help the perpetrator so they do not do it again?
I wonder if it's possible, to be honest. By the time you've been raised to believe it's okay, it's hard to counter that.<<

Yeah, the Lord of the Flies explains how it works and is about bullying leading to death. We all can relate to it because we've experienced aspects of it ourselves. I think it's still required reading in English classes. The movie The Gift was surprising in that it was about bullying. The movie's ending may not be easy to accept, but the story is compelling.

As a rite of passage, it could be accepting humiliation or having to do something to gain acceptance. My experience was watching someone get bullied and having to deal with the aftermath. He was retarded, fat, had body odor and spoke funny. He would strike a fighting pose, but the bully knew he wasn't a threat to him. There may be some feelings of compassion or guilt for the victim, but also an understanding of why the bully was bullying this person. Another time, I saw a father telling his 12-year old son to go down the highest water slide in the park and the boy was afraid and crying. I didn't think it was bullying at the time, but he was taunting his son for not being manly and brave. We were there as kids and just slid down even though the first time it was scary. The scared ones just changed their minds and went elsewhere. NBD. However, the father made it a big deal and caused a scene.

As for stupidity for the victim, there could be, but it's more vulnerability. There isn't much the victim can do because part of it is true and they are unable to fight back against the bully for themselves. If they do fight back, then they had to convince themselves to fight back and overcome their vulnerability.

I haven't heard of any death of the bully, but I suppose it can happen with something to equalize the situation. In a combat situation, police look for unequal combatants situation in order to determine if it was legal or not. Usually, unequal combatants mean unlawful combatants. For example, you are fighting your brother and he hurts you and you need medical attention. If the combatants are equal, then it may be unlawful if the loser wants to press charges.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Bullying is not just a product of nurture, it's in our genes, as well, and is a common trait in Nature. Weaker siblings are killed by the stronger; alpha males dominate their troops or packs. They thrive, and the aggressiveness is selected for.

Among some children, physical aggressiveness and dominance is innate, sometimes as hard to resist as the sexual drive.
To effectively address the problem, both the social and neurological causes should be considered.

james bond

Our God given Nature.
If there is a God.
If there is a God, He makes us how we are. He makes us, each individually, with the limited perceptions and knowledge and such that result in bullying behavior.
I've done it. It's been done to me. If there is an Almighty God, He makes all of us exactly how we are.

I find it more plausible to believe that there is no God who cares what we do or believe. The evidence is everywhere, far easier to see than your god image.
Tom

Tom, you haven't read the Bible. God made us perfect. We became less and less perfect because of the consequences of original sin until we were destroyed. However, we got another chance at salvation, but we became weaker and are what we are today. We await the next destruction until each of us are finally able to find redemption. It sounds as if you got everything backwards.

Some outrageous crime or incident involving bullying takes place, but it is quickly dismissed and put aside until someone decides to speak out against it. And what are the motivations behind it? One factor can be meanness. Another could be intoxication or drunkenness. Another could be foul mood or disposition. Another could be selfishness where the bully gets some kind of reward such as payment for not meting out the consequences.

If laws against is part of the solution, then what defines the bullying act trom one of violence? For example, one robs another at gun point. The victim gives up his valuables willingly out of fear. The perpetrator still beats the victim. Is that bullying or does it have to involve some other factor such as the person being disabled, a minority group, or just dressing different be part of it? In other words, a vulnerability or being different from the norm whatever that is? Do we or can we distinguish from it from hate crimes, sexual harassment or religious persecution? Intent or motivations of the perpetrator may not be easily determined, so is there some physical factor we can use? The victim may not be another person, but it could be an animal. We have laws against cruelty to animals, so how can bullying of animals be distinguished from cruelty? Should we have a separate designation? I guess I bring it up here because of having to face it local news and media yesterday and then watching the movie The Gift. Is it so common that we are all victims or perpetrators to some degree since we call it a rite of passage? Is there some kind of morality involved?
I think it's just natural selection. It's one way the weak get weeded out. Overcome or be left behind.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The irony is, much like with the primate line in general, "bullying" is pretty much instinctive because most species of primates value alpha-males. However, I'm certainly not justifying it because it would be very dangerous to have everybody just do what they may be impulsed to do.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
We are wired to secure our own resources, which often involves competition. In a social species, social status is perceived as a resource. There will always be individual members of any species with a much stronger drive for resource accumulation and guarding. Of course, with a complex species like our own, there are other psychological causes and motivations for bullying behavior, but I suspect the root is generally the same - if not the perception and methodology.

jonathan180iq

Bullying is a natural part of group cohesion. It's simply a more aggressive way of promoting similar behaviors/codes of conduct in social circles.

This sounds like an advocation of the act, which it's not. But it needs to be stated more often that it is a very normal and natural part of social leveling.

Not enough time in spent on understanding the nature of bullying, with too much time being spent on the repetition of it being bad.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The irony is, much like with the primate line in general, "bullying" is pretty much instinctive because most species of primates value alpha-males. However, I'm certainly not justifying it because it would be very dangerous to have everybody just do what they may be impulsed to do.
The beneficial traits of hunter gatherer band members are dysfunctional in a civilized culture, but they're neurologically hard-wired. We need to recognize this, and compensate, but it's hard to counter dysfunctional urges when they aren't recognized.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The beneficial traits of hunter gatherer band members are dysfunctional in a civilized culture, but they're neurologically hard-wired. We need to recognize this, and compensate, but it's hard to counter dysfunctional urges when they aren't recognized.
Exactly, and this is one main reason why we have societies so high in violent crime. What suppresses this innate drive is social pressure, but it's not always enough, as we have all too often painfully seen. Societies that are more highly conformist, such as we see in eastern Asia, tend to have lower levels of bullying, and yet all hell can sometimes break loose even there if those bonds break, as we've seen.

IOW, social pressure works, but only until it doesn't work. :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Basic education should include Reading, Writing, 'Rithmatic -- and anthropology/psychology.

"Know thyself"