• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Beauty?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we can develop an intellectual understanding of beauty that we can recognize even if it doesn't trigger a pleasure response.
This is the crux for me. Knowing beauty vs. feeling it. It intrigues me.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Beauty is but one aspect of the arts. Not all pieces are aiming for beauty. Art can be interesting, challenging, provocative, shocking, questioning, amusing...and hopefully authentic.
Art from a long time ago has the easy comfort of familiarity. Nothing from 1700 is going to shock us, because we've seen it all for 300 years.

But it is still eliciting some feeling from you. If you like the feeling, you buy the art.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The chemicals don't create the perception of Beauty. They are the response to it, like the rusting feathers on are bird are the response to Wind.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a saying from Naples, Italy: every beetle is beautiful to its mother.

Ciao

- viole

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
tautologically, Like jkahsdchadsj is still jkahsdchadsj.

Ciao

- viole
No it's not. It's more than that. Beauty is a thing that is part of evolution. It plays a part in sexual selection, for one role it plays. It doesn't matter if one creature sees another as not beautiful. It's the one that do, that the existence of beauty is what it is for, and why it is. It communicates meaning. It's still Beauty. Regardless if you or I think so or not.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No it's not. It's more than that. Beauty is a thing that is part of evolution. It plays a part in sexual selection, for one role it plays. It doesn't matter if one creature sees another as not beautiful. It's the one that do, that the existence of beauty is what it is. It's still Beauty. Regardless if you or I think so or not.
Yes, in the eye of the beholder. As I said. I do not find male beetles particularly sexy, but I am sure some female beetle does.

Ciao

- viole

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Beauty is but one aspect of the arts. Not all pieces are aiming for beauty. Art can be interesting, challenging, provocative, shocking, questioning, amusing...and hopefully authentic.
And all of these are emotional responses -- and emotional responses are the output of the algorithms that make us what we are. They are all, therefore, 100% subjective, and because they are subjective, they are all subject to change -- what we may find beautiful, or shocking or amusing on one day we might respond to differently on another day.

It is my understanding the golden ratio plays one universal factor in what seems beautiful to us.
1:0.618 . . . , 1.618 . . .:1

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
37C50716-C2D8-4500-ABDB-71ADFBFD2AB8.png

Grandad!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The chemicals don't create the perception of Beauty. They are the response to it, like the rusting feathers on are bird are the response to Wind.
I wonder how it would come across if those chemicals were unrespondent? Would the beauty become altered?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but beauty is still beauty.

Are you saying that beauty is something that is "out there" as something objective, and that a person may or may not perceive the beauty that is there, irrespective of perceiver?
It would seem to me that beauty is a term used in a personal, subjective response (the same as any other aesthetic judgment).