• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a spiritual ego?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Good question!

Hope you are all enjoying your experience here with us at the forum today.

I had not really read much about the spiritual ego before I found this article.

Here's a taste -

When exploring the terms spiritual ego, spiritual materialism or spiritual narcissism in articles and literature, they are almost always portrayed as a bad thing we want to avoid. The manipulating and abusive guru who has been hiding behind a mask of spirituality type of thing.

But a spiritual ego is not very different from a non-spiritual ego, and understanding it will give you great insights into how your ego morphs and re-invents itself to make sure you keep seeing yourself through its lens. Understanding the spiritual ego, embracing it, and moving on from it can be one of the most powerful steps you take on your transformational journey.

In this and the coming three episodes of the Uncover YOU podcast we will dive into the fascinating topic of the spiritual ego.

Read the full-piece here -

https://selfmasteryandbeyond.com/blog/what-is-a-spiritual-ego/

All the best!

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Good question!

Hope you are all enjoying your experience here with us at the forum today.

I had not really read much about the spiritual ego before I found this article.

Here's a taste -

When exploring the terms spiritual ego, spiritual materialism or spiritual narcissism in articles and literature, they are almost always portrayed as a bad thing we want to avoid. The manipulating and abusive guru who has been hiding behind a mask of spirituality type of thing.

But a spiritual ego is not very different from a non-spiritual ego, and understanding it will give you great insights into how your ego morphs and re-invents itself to make sure you keep seeing yourself through its lens. Understanding the spiritual ego, embracing it, and moving on from it can be one of the most powerful steps you take on your transformational journey.

In this and the coming three episodes of the Uncover YOU podcast we will dive into the fascinating topic of the spiritual ego.

Read the full-piece here -

What is a Spiritual Ego? - Self Mastery and Beyond

All the best!
There is only one ego and it generally refers to the 'I', the personal self. I would imagine that a 'spiritual ego' means that the person is expressing from the ego under the pretext of expressing from inner spirit.

A second possibility is that the person at times does channel higher spirit but then their ego wants to take credit!

Ella S.

*temp banned*
It always confused me that we translate "anhankara" as "ego," because "ego" refers to a completely different concept in the West.

In the West, ego refers to one of two things; the part of the mind that negotiates between the Superego and the Id in Freudian psychology, or self-concept in developmental and cognitive psychology. The latter use of "ego" is almost the exact opposite of anhankara, because the less of a self-concept you have the more you lose your theory of mind and object permanence. You become more selfish and impulsive without this self-concept.

In the East, anhankara refers more to the notion of a false identity. This is most similar to the concept of the Persona in Jungian psychology, however, the Persona is seen as the antithesis of the Self, which also shares traits of anhankara.

There is not a perfect Western analogue for anhankara, which leads to a lot of confusion when Western practitioners blend anhankara with unrelated Freudian, Jungian, or developmental concepts.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
"A spiritual ego is a mind infused with spiritual ideas and beliefs. It’s the idea and identity of yourself as being spiritually evolved."

I may be wrong but this article and the term 'spiritual ego' seems to be 'sort of' what we on the Left Hand Path refer to as our Higher/Greater Self, the GodSelf. Where the article and philosophy fall short in my opinion, is that the GodSelf is a realized aspect of our full potential being. It can only be observed from a distance. Furthermore, there are ritualist practices on the LHP that enable its adherents to separate from their "I" (lesser self) and thus observe themselves from their GodSelf's perspective.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In Islam, everything is about middle ground. Don't be so prideful as to be arrogant, nor lose your dignity that you be without honor, and even teaches to heighten yourself over dark forces by same type of highness of God that Ali (a) use to heighten himself by yet teaches to humble oneself to God and his exalted chosen ones.

For example Quran says "for you can't reach the mountains in height", it means you can't catch up to the exalted ones, they raced ahead and are much higher then you, so don't even think you can yet shows we can gain powers to travel the earth, talk to the dead, and even by God's permission move mountains.

Believers are equals of one another and we are to support one another.

This no ego thing is extreme.