• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a "Seeker" then?

Zeroa

Dances With Mice
What's a Golden Snitch? :p

In the Harry Potter books, there's a sport played by wizards called Quidditch, and one of the positions on the team is the seeker. The seeker's job is to try to catch a little golden ball with wings, called the snitch.

Ah, the trivia you collect when you have a house full of kids. :D

MissAlice

Hello, I've noticed this new DIR on RF, and I'm wondering - what is a "seeker" exactly?

Is it like a "Truth-Seeker" in the realm of conspiracy lore? Or is it like in the Dragonlance novels, where there are "Seekers" who promote a fraudulent pantheon of made-up gods?

Or is it something less fantastic? Something more mundane perhaps; a spiritual seeker, looking for the answers to all the big questions; why are we here? what does it all mean? who am I? ETC.

Could someone please tell me? Thanks in advance.

I would say option 3 but I think it depends on the seeker. Personally and without so much "belief" in terms of an invisible force, I look at it from a human perspective: Why am I here? Why do we feel? Why do we exist? Now I may get scientific answer regarding human biology but looking at it from the big picture, it is still a question I seek that may never be answered or at least answered from a POV that is satisfactory. There are still things I ponder about that may be solved by the human biology of the brain yet that very question, Why do we exist even with the perfect factors that make life sustainable on our planet?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
I am a seeker. I believe in a physical universe of cause and effect.
There are several axioms that seem universal
Conservation of matter and energy, in equilibrium through interchange via E=mc^2
The speed of light 3x10^8km/sec
Absolute zero is -273C
Conservation of angular momentum.
Universal entropy can only increase with time.

It is this last one that intrigues me.
Since the evidence appears to conserve mass and energy, so a the beginning and the end the total amount of stuff is unchanged, although its physical properties may be different.

So in this universe, Matter at the start X energy at the start = matter at the end X energy at the end = A constant neither are created or destroyed. ie (M0 x E0) = (M1 x E1) = K (the universal mass-energy Constant)

Now bring entropy into the equation (S)

Start M0xE0 + S0
Finish M1xE1 +S1

Since S1 must be greater than S0
then M0xE0+ S0 universe initial cannot equal M1xE1+S1 universe final

The only away we can have consistency of equivalence between initial and final conditions is to introduce a counter-factor to entropy eg temperature.
So we get perhaps. my answer to life the universe and everything

M0xE0 + S0xT0 = M1xE1 + S1xT1 = 42

Cheers

MissAlice

I am a seeker. I believe in a physical universe of cause and effect.
There are several axioms that seem universal
Conservation of matter and energy, in equilibrium through interchange via E=mc^2
The speed of light 3x10^8km/sec
Absolute zero is -273C
Conservation of angular momentum.
Universal entropy can only increase with time.

It is this last one that intrigues me.
Since the evidence appears to conserve mass and energy, so a the beginning and the end the total amount of stuff is unchanged, although its physical properties may be different.

So in this universe, Matter at the start X energy at the start = matter at the end X energy at the end = A constant neither are created or destroyed. ie (M0 x E0) = (M1 x E1) = K (the universal mass-energy Constant)

Now bring entropy into the equation (S)

Start M0xE0 + S0
Finish M1xE1 +S1

Since S1 must be greater than S0
then M0xE0+ S0 universe initial cannot equal M1xE1+S1 universe final

The only away we can have consistency of equivalence between initial and final conditions is to introduce a counter-factor to entropy eg temperature.
So we get perhaps. my answer to life the universe and everything

M0xE0 + S0xT0 = M1xE1 + S1xT1 = 42

Cheers

Ah, so you're one of those seekers with a brilliant mind.
icon_nerdy.gif

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

What are you *seeking* and why?

Kindly first find out if you have lost anything?
Only that which is *lost* can be *found*: ever!

Personally tried to find if had ever lost anything and if so, when?
Till date find everything in place and the seeking for anything lost never arose.

Love & rgds

xkatz

Zenzero,

I am "seeking" a faith to belong to. I am unsatisfied w/ my parent's choice and I feel like I don't belong to their religion (Judaism). I am trying to find a way that I could truly believe in and try to find my own path. My motive is because I feel like I can find something better for me out there that can truly shape me into a better human being. :)

Onkara

That's great XKatz
Nondualists say that there is nothing missing, it is just a sensation that we are missing something which keeps us looking and seeking. A nondualist might say that the urge to improve, evolve isn't wrong, it is right, as what you are seeking is your true self. The answer then is within you. To be able to put your inner-finger on it one may need the guidance from external souces e.g. other seekers, gurus, scriptures, practices etc.

MissAlice

Friends,

Personally tried to find if had ever lost anything and if so, when?
Till date find everything in place and the seeking for anything lost never arose.

Love & rgds

Hmmmm you've given me like so many of your posts, something to think about.

I sometimes wonder if part of my problem is my denial of that which could easily be solved.

How to cope with death is probably my number one issue I'm still working on. I've had many people tell to just accept it but when you become deeply attached to that someone or something, it's hard to accept. I have a feeling this will be my biggest obstacle in life, to reason and question how unfair it is, to live only to love, suffer, and die. I could sit here and say it makes life meaningless yet I ask myself why does life need meaning and then I go back to these relevant issues I face with the issues of loss.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
What about knowledge, understanding, perspetive, camaraderie, or experiences we have not had? Could these be things that were not lost but can be found?

Last edited:

Onkara

How to cope with death is probably my number one issue I'm still working on. I've had many people tell to just accept it but when you become deeply attached to that someone or something, it's hard to accept. I have a feeling this will be my biggest obstacle in life, to reason and question how unfair it is, to live only to love, suffer, and die. I could sit here and say it makes life meaningless yet I ask myself why does life need meaning and then I go back to these relevant issues I face with the issues of loss.
If I may pick up the thread... I don't see any reason why you have to accept death. There is no way out, one day those I love with die. There is no way I can stop that and funny enough that is what gives me the strength to continue with life, I feel so happy to know that none of this is my concern. That I don't need to try to saviour every moment with someone or cling to time or memories. All of it is just experiences, coming and going in a flux. I am beyond the flux and watching it come and go, and it feels great... why not jump in and see it from the warmth of looking out at a changing stream of life, forget the question or the nagging memories for 5 minutes and sit back in the hot-tub of bliss and watch life, thoughts, experiences come and go...

MissAlice

If I may pick up the thread... I don't see any reason why you have to accept death. There is no way out, one day those I love with die. There is no way I can stop that and funny enough that is what gives me the strength to continue with life, I feel so happy to know that none of this is my concern. That I don't need to try to saviour every moment with someone or cling to time or memories. All of it is just experiences, coming and going in a flux. I am beyond the flux and watching it come and go, and it feels great... why not jump in and see it from the warmth of looking out at a changing stream of life, forget the question or the nagging memories for 5 minutes and sit back in the hot-tub of bliss and watch life, thoughts, experiences come and go...

Oh don't get me wrong there are some things I do try and enjoy some things in life. I wish I could say the same for many of the attachments. I don't normally form attachments especially with people. However losing family members I guess is something I'm not use to. I don't really try and remember them, I think there's this sense of awareness that they're really gone and it just hits me without much thought. I use to call up my my sister and talk to my nephew to see how he was doing and now when I talk to my sister, there's the realization that oh yeah...my nephew is gone. I'm not sure how to describe this feeling. I didn't really question or care much about death until after this and some other incidents. I also have a history of clinical depression which may have something to do with it. I do try and keep myself active which helps temporarily.

Anyway I'm glad you're a happy person. I'm not exactly sure what "happiness" is unless it is doing something you enjoy doing. I do agree and think life is too short to sit around and be miserable. My own personal philosophy is that life is just as much a gift as it is a curse.

Onkara

I'm not exactly sure what "happiness" is unless it is doing something you enjoy doing. I do agree and think life is too short to sit around and be miserable. My own personal philosophy is that life is just as much a gift as it is a curse.

Thanks for explaining further. Genreally speaking happiness is an experience, but experiences come and go. They don't last. Anything that has a beginning will have an end, so if we place our love and energy into something which had a beginning we are wise to remember it is still going to end. It doesn't stop me from placing my bets, so to speak i.e. falling in love, investing myself. I have come to accept that my love isn't a quantifiable thing with a limit, it won't run out.

Happiness for most people is something which has a beggining and has an end. Despression is the same, one day we are happy the next - bang - we find we can't seem to shake that mind set and no one else seems to understand. What both happiness and despression have in common is that they are experiences, experienced by YOU! Experiences will come and go.

There is a state of happiness which doesn't depend on anything else, it is more our nature and not an experience per se. The problem is it gets covered over by layers of concerns, issues, must-do and desires.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Xkatz,

I am "seeking" a faith to belong to.

Who is seeking? even *faith*
*you* are seeking that which you are already part of;
*meditation* is the only way to get on track! is the personal experience and understanding.
Meditation here means a state where the mind is still.
Once it is still rest will follow.
One does not need any *faith* to still the mind.

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend MissAlice,

How to cope with death is probably my number one issue I'm still working on

Once you see the death of yourself i.e. your *I* thereafter there are no more deaths as everything that takes birth only heads towards death or else it the same thing that keeps on transforming rather death is just the end of a chapter which is also the beginning of another.

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Wandered Off,

What about knowledge, understanding, perspetive, camaraderie, or experiences we have not had? Could these be things that were not lost but can be found?

Who is acquiring these things?

Till *you* are there, is a sure sign of being lost and therefore *seeking*.
Losing the *self* is the way which is nothing but *stilling* the mind as that *I* is that mind with *thoughts*.

Love & rgds