• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a seeker really seeking?

PearlSeeker

God, truth, self, love, wisdom, bliss, awareness, life, liberation, actualization, peace, unity, flow, harmony, perfection ...?

Are all these really different things?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What is a seeker really seeking?
God, truth, self, love, wisdom, bliss, awareness, life, liberation, actualization, peace, unity, flow, harmony, perfection ...?

Pearls

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think so. God/Truth/Flow/Perfection, wisdom/Liberation/Actualization/awareness, peace/harmony, and life have separate contexts. Even the words are not all "nouns" or don't work as nouns to where god to one person is no where related to the liberation or actualization to someone else.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I see it as a catch-all word meaning different things to different people. Generally speaking, everyone is seeking happiness, or contentment, just a place to feel comfortable. That might be a religion, a mindset, or whatever.
But when we get to specific religions, it definitely means different things, if it's referring to an end goal. In my faith, the only true search is inner search for mystic union with God, or the final 'experience' nirvikalpa samadhi.
In other faiths, we hear 'truth' commonly, without any real definition of what truth is in an overall way, but individual religions define it for themselves.
Personally, I don't find it to be a useful word.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
People seek different things. I sought truth, which made me abandon God, soul, heaven, hell, etc.
That was liberation, awareness, actualization, perfection for me.
Love, harmony, bliss, peace, unity are nice words, but utopian. They come in handy while fooling people.
@Vinayaka , truth about what exists in the universe, how and why.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I think they CAN be different things.
It depends on the details, in terms of how you view them, and what you're looking to get out of them.
Liberation and peace can be opposing considerations, for example, depending on context and circumstance. And perfection can certainly stand in the way of things like actualisation, depending how you see such things.

MNoBody

"seekers" typically are people who have questions which have not been satisfactorily answered.

PearlSeeker

I think so. God/Truth/Flow/Perfection, wisdom/Liberation/Actualization/awareness, peace/harmony, and life have separate contexts. Even the words are not all "nouns" or don't work as nouns to where god to one person is no where related to the liberation or actualization to someone else.
I meant these words in their ultimate sense.

I don't see them as separate. For example union with God/divinization is at the same time liberation (from attachment to ego) and actualization of human purpose.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

IMO, a seeker seeks the truth. The rest may or may not be a part of that truth.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I meant these words in their ultimate sense.

I don't see them as separate. For example union with God/divinization is at the same time liberation (from attachment to ego) and actualization of human purpose.

I go by what the individual religion(s) define them and their individual goals. What defines the ultimate sense?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
With other word: truth.

Eh... I'm not so sure all seekers are generally interested in "truth."

Many are just seeking to prove to themselves something they already believe; confirmation bias. If they are open minded, they can work past that towards the truth, but that takes real effort and a willingness to be wrong and to adjust accordingly.

PearlSeeker

In other faiths, we hear 'truth' commonly, without any real definition of what truth is in an overall way, but individual religions define it for themselves.
In other thread I cited a definition of spiritual truth:
"infinite, divine and uncreated in all and above all." (wiki: gnosis)

PearlSeeker

Liberation and peace can be opposing considerations, for example, depending on context and circumstance. And perfection can certainly stand in the way of things like actualisation, depending how you see such things.
More liberated more inner peace. More actualized more perfect.