• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is a Male Wiccan?

Midnight Rain

What is the proper name for a male practitioner of Wicca? Considering that female Wiccans are usually titled "Witches", would it be proper to address a male Wiccan as "Wizard", perhaps "Warlock"? This is not meant to be offensive, I'm really just curious.

Also, I heard someone proclaim themselves as "Wiccan" because Wicca is about the Lady and Lord, Goddess and God, and not all Wiccans practice witchcraft. Is that true or is witchcraft/magic required? Also, is "Wiccan" a proper title for a practitioner?

I was on a search for a difference between Wizard and Warlock, and now that I notice I have so many tabs open and one of them is a google search of "Angel and Demon difference" I'm going to just call it a night with the tabs and ask this final question here :D
Wiccan would be the term to describe anyone that is a practitioner of Wicca or of an offbranch of Wicca. Witch is anyone who uses magic. Male or female.

I have heard some other terms over the years to mean different kinds of magic users but the only time I have ever heard warlock would be in Christian mythology and fantasy.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What is the proper name for a male practitioner of Wicca? Considering that female Wiccans are usually titled "Witches", would it be proper to address a male Wiccan as "Wizard", perhaps "Warlock"? This is not meant to be offensive, I'm really just curious.

Also, I heard someone proclaim themselves as "Wiccan" because Wicca is about the Lady and Lord, Goddess and God, and not all Wiccans practice witchcraft. Is that true or is witchcraft/magic required? Also, is "Wiccan" a proper title for a practitioner?

I was on a search for a difference between Wizard and Warlock, and now that I notice I have so many tabs open and one of them is a google search of "Angel and Demon difference" I'm going to just call it a night with the tabs and ask this final question here :D

Would Mr. Wiccan be appropriate?

A male Wiccan is a Wiccan. Many Wiccans practices witchcraft (natural/earth magick/magic) and therfore identify as witches (regardless of gender). All witches are additionally magicians (uses magic/magick) but many prefer the more specific term witch. Some are Wizards (practices magick/magic through ancient lore), Choates (practices magick/magic through choas), Sigilist (practices magic/magick through sigils), and much much more (though none of these are specifically practiced by Wiccans or is taught be Wiccans [aside from witchcraft]). However calling a Wiccan a warlock can be a very bad insult as Warlock is (usuualy one who makes deals with demons/daemons/wraiths/furies/etc. which is not something that most [if any] Wiccans do) (PS: Mainstream Wiccan Theology does not have the concepts of Angels and Demons, most of the witch, wizard, and warlock ideas in mainstream society is of Christian creaction not of the actual people in question.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Witch is gender neutral.

Wiccan is gender neutral.

Wizard is gender neutral but used to be used specifically by someone who sells their services as a witch. At least in a classical context...

Warlock is a male witch at this point the old meaning has deprecated. Feel free to use it where it applies. :) The new way of using the word is about 150 years old. I think you are safe