• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is a Male Wiccan?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What is the proper name for a male practitioner of Wicca? Considering that female Wiccans are usually titled "Witches", would it be proper to address a male Wiccan as "Wizard", perhaps "Warlock"? This is not meant to be offensive, I'm really just curious.

Also, I heard someone proclaim themselves as "Wiccan" because Wicca is about the Lady and Lord, Goddess and God, and not all Wiccans practice witchcraft. Is that true or is witchcraft/magic required? Also, is "Wiccan" a proper title for a practitioner?

I was on a search for a difference between Wizard and Warlock, and now that I notice I have so many tabs open and one of them is a google search of "Angel and Demon difference" I'm going to just call it a night with the tabs and ask this final question here :D

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
From what I know, "Witch" is a bit of a misnomer. Not all Wiccans identify as "Witches"; as not all Wiccans practice magic or spellcraft. Most just go by "Wiccan".

Same goes for male practitioners; some might call themselves "Wizards" or "Warlocks", but the proper title (for lack of a better term) is still "Wiccan".

Sees

Dragonslayer
I would use witch or wizard, but not warlock. Warlock seems about as bad as a term could be if the "oath-breaker" etymology is correct.

I use this when starting to research any word in case anybody else wants to check out/bookmark Online Etymology Dictionary

Even not wiccan I use wizard sometimes or something similar like vitki.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I would use witch or wizard, but not warlock. Warlock seems about as bad as a term could be if the "oath-breaker" etymology is correct.

I use this when starting to research any word in case anybody else wants to check out/bookmark Online Etymology Dictionary

Even not wiccan I use wizard sometimes or something similar like vitki.
Yeppers, Warlock is an oathbreaker. Too many folks watched Bewitched.

I belonged to a coven and was a Witch. I also practiced cerimonial magick and was a Magickan. When I read Tarot cards I was called a Mystic.

A Wizard? Someone else will have to help with that one.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yeppers, Warlock is an oathbreaker. Too many folks watched Bewitched.

I belonged to a coven and was a Witch. I also practiced cerimonial magick and was a Magickan. When I read Tarot cards I was called a Mystic.

A Wizard? Someone else will have to help with that one.

Wow, you were into all that? :D

EyeofOdin

Wizard would be perfectly acceptable, as the word "witch".

Witch comes from ultimately the Proto-Germanic word wikjo, meaning necromancer. Wizard is a contraction of Old English "Wis" and "ard". "Ard" denotes a person, and "wis" means wise. So "wizard" means "wise man" or "wise person".

"Witch" also had masculine and feminine forms, but these were both morphed into the one word "witch". "Wizard" was traditionally masculine, but in our modern culture it could be used in masculine or feminine circumstances.

Norrin-6-

Warlock seems about as bad as a term could be if the "oath-breaker" etymology is correct.

While a good resource for historical definitions, the site should not inform us on modern-day labels. I'm not arguing for the use of 'warlock' as a label for male Wiccans, but a quick google brings back exactly what I expected from hearing the term on multiple occasions in the past: a male who practices witchcraft, a sorcerer. The meaning has changed. The term warlock would be appropriate if all we were looking for is a word that fits. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with "witch" so long as the person is comfortable with it.

Sees

Dragonslayer
While a good resource for historical definitions, the site should not inform us on modern-day labels. I'm not arguing for the use of 'warlock' as a label for male Wiccans, but a quick google brings back exactly what I expected from hearing the term on multiple occasions in the past: a male who practices witchcraft, a sorcerer. The meaning has chances. The term warlock would be appropriate if all we were looking for is a word that fits. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with "witch" so long as the person is comfortable with it.

Strangely, a couple weeks after this thread I had an old man tell me he was a warlock and offer an explanation and couple little stories...out of the blue, at a shopping mall :areyoucra

One of those things beyond coincidence that he would know I am a pagan myself and would care to listen :)

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
What is the proper name for a male practitioner of Wicca? Considering that female Wiccans are usually titled "Witches", would it be proper to address a male Wiccan as "Wizard", perhaps "Warlock"? This is not meant to be offensive, I'm really just curious.

Also, I heard someone proclaim themselves as "Wiccan" because Wicca is about the Lady and Lord, Goddess and God, and not all Wiccans practice witchcraft. Is that true or is witchcraft/magic required? Also, is "Wiccan" a proper title for a practitioner?

I was on a search for a difference between Wizard and Warlock, and now that I notice I have so many tabs open and one of them is a google search of "Angel and Demon difference" I'm going to just call it a night with the tabs and ask this final question here :D

In my run with Wicca both men and women were called "witches". Wicca can be very feminist and one portion of that is "why would it be offensive for a man to be called a witch?". That made a lot of sense to me and I never again was ashamed of the title and nor should any man.

A few people breech out and call themselves different things but its generally unnecessary and I obviously cannot speak for each sect of wicca but my experience has shown a general consensus that both men and women are referred to as witches.

AsheCorvus

Personally, I find warlock to be insulting due to what it means in its word roots (devil convener and traitor), and a wizard is someone who ancient tomes and was made up by Christians. While a witch is someone who practices witchcraft. MOST (and I stress most) Wiccans practice witchcraft, therefore most Wiccans are witches. However not all witches are Wiccans so it is not fair to Wiccans or other witches to be lumped into one category.

So a Wiccan is a believer of Wicca.

A witch is a practitioner of witchcraft.

Remember most Wiccans are witches, but not all witches are Wiccans.