• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a "Kind"?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A species is clearly defined in the biological literature, but what the heck is a "kind"?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
To me "kind" is when you least deserve it...

Kind will humble you...

Kind is when you need it most...

Kind is a great offering to others..

Kind is a risk and not so pleasant for those offering..a risk...a vulnerability...

Kind is a great gift to posess....

JMHO

Blessings

Dallas

P.S GREAT TOPIC!!!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
O.K

As a noun???

Kind is charachteristics...

Some major some very intriquite and unique...

Kind is a descriptive way....

Kind describes....

Kind can be used as a preface to many different qualities..Inclulding basics such as gender...race,and on into other more inticrate catergorries...

ie.... What "kind" of dog is that?"......

Its language to the specific....

ie..what "kind" of cake is that?"

You know its a dog...you know its cake..."kind" gets specific...

Blessings

Dallas

maremf

Well, I like this question. One of my present interests is comparing the creation story to secular findings. In Genesis it's referring to cows reproducing cows, sheep reproducing sheep etc. And this seems like an obvious conclusion for someone writing Genesis so why include it? Is it telling us something more?

Mr. Peanut

I assume you refer to a kind as from Genesis 1:

11And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 21And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
24And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
25And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Simply put, grass, herbs and trees yield fruit "after their kind". Blue-grass yields blue-grass, ginseng yields ginseng, apple trees yield apples, and seeds which make more apple trees, which make more apples...Every sea creature and every fowl, and every land creature, etc., reproduce "after their kind". From blue whales come more blue whales, from pigeons come more pigeons, from cows, cows, black widows, black widows, etc.

When we examine nature, behold! It is so! When we examine the fossil record, behold! it is so! What is also known by any farmer, is that the further they may deviate from the norm, for example they can make bigger cows, cows that make more milk, and all sorts of things, but when they do, the further out they get, the more defects and bad consequences result and they do not survive well. They know to keep things going right, keep it simple, let them make cows like they are suppposed to. The more they try to 'evolve' them, the more problems they have. Whenever we have a mutation, short legs, an extra leg, two heads, or something, it always acts to make the creature more susceptible to death or being eaten. The wolf will catch that short-legged sheep first. So, mutations result, still in survival of the fittest, those closest to the norm/original, and extinction of the mutation, actually, de-evolution. This is not to be confused with adaptation. But I stop now.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I agree with you there.

O.K I just have to ask its drivign me "nuts" Peanut...

The comment made about the thread least deserving to be polluted that you agree with was made with a quote of mine...by polluting are ya'll referring to me???

Seriously I hate to think that after one day here I would be considered a "pollutant"..I misenterpreted the OP's meaning of Kind...Im sorry for that..I seriously thought he meant kind in an action way.."beign kind to someone or something"...I meant no ill will..Honestly it hurt my feelings..

Maybe Im paranoid and it has nothing to be with me..But yet I was quoted.. :shrug:

Blessings

Dallas

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Simply put, grass, herbs and trees yield fruit "after their kind". Blue-grass yields blue-grass, ginseng yields ginseng, apple trees yield apples, and seeds which make more apple trees, which make more apples...Every sea creature and every fowl, and every land creature, etc., reproduce "after their kind". From blue whales come more blue whales, from pigeons come more pigeons, from cows, cows, black widows, black widows, etc.
So... to put your "simply put" answer actually simply, are you saying that a "kind" is a species?

What is also known by any farmer, is that the further they may deviate from the norm, for example they can make bigger cows, cows that make more milk, and all sorts of things, but when they do, the further out they get, the more defects and bad consequences result and they do not survive well. They know to keep things going right, keep it simple, let them make cows like they are suppposed to. The more they try to 'evolve' them, the more problems they have. Whenever we have a mutation, short legs, an extra leg, two heads, or something, it always acts to make the creature more susceptible to death or being eaten.

Actually, I think you'll find that farmers see the benefit in breeding between species. Mules and beefalo have their advantages in certain situations.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
From blue whales come more blue whales, from pigeons come more pigeons, from cows, cows, black widows, black widows, etc.
so what kind am I?
liger-723616.jpg

If lions make lions and tigers make tigers.... this poor guy is kindless.

wa:do

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
so what kind am I?
liger-723616.jpg

If lions make lions and tigers make tigers.... this poor guy is kindless.

Tee hee!!

He's a "new kind" isnt he???

The only thing is they are in fact both feline...

So they are the "feline kind"....Similar to (for example) a black person and a "white" person having a baby...The baby is still the "human kind"...

Blessings

Dallas

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
so Kind isn't species...

"Feline kind" What about Miacis? He is a cute little fossil between a cat and a dog. One of the earliest carnivora.

MIACIS.gif

This is the first actual Cat Proailurus, as you can see its still got a bit of that 'weasel' thing going on.
240px-Proailurus.jpg

The closest living animal that resembles this guy is a critter called the Fossa but the Fossa is clearly not "cat kind".
fossa.jpg

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Soo.....

We're all just a bunch of inbred mutts huh????...LOL!!!

But we all have to be "some kind"...even if we are more than ONE kind....We can be "several kinds"...????

Blessings

Dallas