• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a Jew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is this in Biblical debates? Are we supposed to quote scripture? I can't do that.

Flankerl

They were a race that lived less than 2000 years ago, that only followed the Tanakh....Revelations calls the modern Pharisaic ones fake.

Well if the Hellenists say so it must be true.

I love it when disproven theories still get all the attention by certain people.
But such is the life of a racist.

Yeah yeah I know you aren't racist, but why do you then care about the racial composition of the Jews?

Also if the evil Ashkenazi fake Jews are really Kazars, how did they emigrate from within the Holy Roman Empire into the Polish Lithuanian Realm? (special geography hint: the Kazars lived to the south-east from the Polish Lithuanian Realm while the HRE was to the west)

@Topic
Oh my here we go again.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Well if the Hellenists say so it must be true.
It's still prophecy; unfortunately that has proven its self fulfilled in many places.
why do you then care about the racial composition of the Jews?
Because my genealogy is from Lviv, now in the Ukraine (Pale of Settlement), so I'm possibly Ashkenazi myself, and as a Biblical scholar it's fascinating..... :innocent:

Flankerl

It's still prophecy; unfortunately that has proven its self fulfilled in many places.

Yeah uhm no.

Because my genealogy is from Lviv, now in the Ukraine (Pale of Settlement), so I'm possibly Ashkenazi myself, and as a Biblical scholar it's fascinating..... :innocent:

Lviv/Lemberg was part of Austro-Hungary and thus not part of the Russian Pale.

So much for that.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
I remember how jews are portrayed in a Shakespeare's book in high school english classes,the merchant of venice.

rosends

Please don't copy and paste from a web site. I can do that on my own.
You ask a good but difficult question. I'm not sure if you intend it to be as tough as it is, so I will lay out a couple of problems and you can clarify:

1. You ask "what" not "who" is a Jew. Your answer then wouldn't be about the qualifications for an individual, but about some transcendent definition of "what constitutes the Jewish aspect" or "what defines Jewishness" or something like that. If you are looking for something else, please reword, and if you ARE looking for something deeper (as evidenced by the "what") please try to refine your question.

2. You ask this under "Scriptural Debates --> Biblical Debates" which, I presume, means you want an answer based in textual sources. What understanding/version/text of the bible did you want to use? The modern term "Jew", while it developed from biblical terms, is not a biblical word, so finding textual proofs from certain limited groups of texts would be tough.

MARCELLO

A complex work, and not nearly as insulting to Jews as most readers take it to be.
I am sorry but fully disagree.

When I happen to encounter a sentence starting as '' A jew '' and continuing in simple present tense it always tells bad things about jews.

MARCELLO

That's a fairly reductionist and absolute view of language. A Jew would have no problem reading further and deeper into the text.
What?? Your avatar exactly tells opposite of your comments. Why did you choose shylock then?

On the other hand I am not judging what jews read further and deeper,I gave just an example of what a jew like according to a marvelous writer Shakespeare. The English literature cannot do without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.