• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a human? Not an easy question.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
CD562A3E-D910-4F26-9DD2-CBCFC01B61EB.gif

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

This video goes into depth in ho humans differ from other primates. It narrows the differences down but it is not as easy as one would think.

Forrest Valkai is a relative newcomer, but he is amazingly talented and knows his stuff. More to watch, but if you want to discuss that is fine too.
All we have is an expanded brain capacity giving us sapient qualities.

That said , we are still no different than any of our ape cousins.

We still fight over territory.

We fight over mates.

We still act as our cousins do in the animal kingdom in terms of emotion and innovation.

All that said, I'll have to admit. We are the first primates on earth to go into outer space. Of course, sending our cousins first.

PureX

Veteran Member
Being "human" is an idea that we homo sapiens generate in our highly imaginative minds that we believe separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. And in fact it does, then, separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom as no other animals have developed the imaginative capacity for doing such a thing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And in fact it does, then, separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom as no other animals have developed the imaginative capacity for doing such a thing.

We don't actually know that's the case. If anything, it is extraordinarily unlikely that is the case given the incremental nature of biological evolution. Humans just can't properly communicate with other animals to find out about the inner worlds and otherworlds other animals explore.

PureX

Veteran Member
We don't actually know that's the case. If anything, it is extraordinarily unlikely that is the case given the incremental nature of biological evolution. Humans just can't properly communicate with other animals to find out about the inner worlds and otherworlds other animals explore.
We see no evidence that would suggest that other animals possess such extraordinary imagination. So much so that they can imagine that they are not what they are.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its not simply about the diff between humans and other apes. The question is what should be considered human and what should not. The word human is about favoritism. It means someone who is one of us. That's how to decide where the line is drawn.

If you decide apes are humans but don't want them living in your neighborhood then you are using double talk. They aren't humans. They are similar, but we can't accept them. Its too much trouble. We don't want them on social security checks or in daycare centers and so on.

Alien826

No religious beliefs

This video goes into depth in ho humans differ from other primates. It narrows the differences down but it is not as easy as one would think.

Forrest Valkai is a relative newcomer, but he is amazingly talented and knows his stuff. More to watch, but if you want to discuss that is fine too.

That was very interesting.

I particularly liked the parts about nipples. :)

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Its not simply about the diff between humans and other apes. The question is what should be considered human and what should not. The word human is about favoritism. It means someone who is one of us. That's how to decide where the line is drawn.

If you decide apes are humans but don't want them living in your neighborhood then you are using double talk. They aren't humans. They are similar, but we can't accept them. Its too much trouble. We don't want them on social security checks or in daycare centers and so on.

You're probably joking, but I would say if apes could talk to us they would say "We don't want your effing Social Security checks, just please leave us alone to get on with our lives. We never volunteered to be locked in cages, be the subject of medical experimentation, be forced to entertain you and all the rest of it."

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
You're probably joking, but I would say if apes could talk to us they would say "We don't want your effing Social Security checks, just please leave us alone to get on with our lives. We never volunteered to be locked in cages, be the subject of medical experimentation, be forced to entertain you and all the rest of it."
We can't consider everything to be human. I'm not the one who is joking if anyone is.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Asking consciousness. Ours. From Human babies.

What is a human.

Our advice says exact terms microbial cells first only. Human owned only.

As our two separate human adult parents are their owned one self. A conscious adult human.

Creator baby human emerges into consciousness as the adult human.

Correct teacher we said already. Legally human agreed. The baby human is the teacher.

A human looks at a skeleton.

Conscious self says it's not alive. It once was living. Now it's decayed.

Decay owns bodies like rock only.

Says conscious mind.

What is a human self lived lives is self expressed and self known as one. One self. One species the human. Yet two humans continue life human by law sex.

We determine lived as cells of our whole body are constantly deceased gone. We live as body human remain living until we die. One whole being masses of cells.

Living to live is now.

If we do reaction within us...bio says now a cell is replaced. Changed but exists now.

If we do decay science we say now it's destroyed.

We don't want decay now as we aren't substances of energy we said are gods only.

A human being human..human aware.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Who said anything about considering "everything" to be human? I assume you meant all animals.
You said "If apes could talk to us." That would be a different situation than what is. They cannot talk to us without intensive sign language training. They are large, dangerous, unhygienic. I think that's why we can't accept other apes as human. We cannot deal with them as direct neighbors. They'd chew our faces off the moment we got them angry.

They, in turn, cannot consider us to be like them. We are too afraid of germs, too weak, too focused upon houses and money and society and other things they care nothing for.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
You said "If apes could talk to us." That would be a different situation than what is. They cannot talk to us without intensive sign language training. They are large, dangerous, unhygienic. I think that's why we can't accept other apes as human. We cannot deal with them as direct neighbors. They'd chew our faces off the moment we got them angry.

They, in turn, cannot consider us to be like them. We are too afraid of germs, too weak, too focused upon houses and money and society and other things they care nothing for.

You've taken me too literally. I was suggesting what apes might ask of us if they had the means to do so.

And to repeat for the last time, nobody is suggesting we treat apes like humans. They have very different needs, desires and capabilities. The point is that they are very similar to us in many ways and deserve respect on that basis. How to show that respect? Maybe not treating them as property to be used and abused at our whim? That could be a good start.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You've taken me too literally. I was suggesting what apes might ask of us if they had the means to do so.

And to repeat for the last time, nobody is suggesting we treat apes like humans. They have very different needs, desires and capabilities. The point is that they are very similar to us in many ways and deserve respect on that basis. How to show that respect? Maybe not treating them as property to be used and abused at our whim? That could be a good start.

Also saying "other apes" is not only correct it may raise our awareness. We are apes too. Nowhere in our evolution was a line crossed that says "No longer an ape."