• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a good picture to tape to a wall in your room

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I just made this my phone's wallpaper:

thor-god-of-the-vikings-marten-eskil-winge.jpg

Who is the god in the picture and what is his story?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is the mighty king of Gods, Indra. He has the 'Vajra' in his hands. He rescues the Sun from the captivity of the demons of darkness every year at the start of spring. :)

Rational Agnostic

What is a cool picture that you would want on your wall? Yes, I expect you to use google images or something so I could consider printing it out. I've still got some of my wall to cover with pictures that are inspiring or elevate the mood and fervor. I'm currently printing out some Vietnam vets who did heroic actions like covering a grenade and getting blown up to save their comrades.

Emily Sears. Google her.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
That is the mighty king of Gods, Indra. He has the 'Vajra' in his hands. He rescues the Sun from the captivity of the demons of darkness every year at the start of spring. :)
Um, I'm not aware of a similar story in Germanic myth. I'd have to look. Indo-European myth isn't one to one. Indra and Thor went their separate ways long ago.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
True, they went their separate ways perhaps around 3,500 BC when they moved to Samara Bend and then to Corded-Ware culture. Indra's people started late, 3,000-2,500 BC, moving southwards and arrived in India around 2,000-1,500 BC.

Indra's people also wore belts (Kushti for Zoroastrians and Mekhala or Yajnopavita for Hindus). We still rever Swastika. Thor is an 'Asura' (mighty) just like Indra (List of names of Thor - Wikipedia), Asa-Thor, Eindridi. Just as Thor battles the serpent Jörmungandr, Indra's foe also is called a serpent (Azi Dahak for Zorostrians, among Hindus they are a horde of demons with various names). Also note that Thor walked nine paces before his death. In Hindu mythology Sun is captured by the demons after nine months consisting of one-month long dawns and dusks and seven months of sunshine. Aryan cycle of rituals (Yajnas) lasted nine months and these priests were known as Navagwahas (nine-going).

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's a 'good picture' for one isn't a good picture for another. It depends on the picture's purpose.
What would your goal or purpose be?